What's new

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Watched the UHD last night and it might be the first time I've felt 4K is a bit much for a film. Still looks nice, but I think 1080p helps round out the edges in terms of optical shots, location vs studio. The 1.85:1 framing looks right to me, even if it's not like 1.66:1 made it lesser on Criterion's edition. Putting back the UA logo and no overly loud MGM logo also a plus. Keeping Criterion for the extras, but I think I'll get more out of this in projection when I upgrade my system sometimes in the future.
I watched Night Of The Hunter last night and the first thing that surprised me was the British hexagon United Artists logo also and NO MGM lion roar. I felt the picture aspect ratio and quality was good, slightly darker, but the sound quality (I watched 5.1) is better on the Criterion disc.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Watched the UHD last night and it might be the first time I've felt 4K is a bit much for a film. Still looks nice, but I think 1080p helps round out the edges in terms of optical shots, location vs studio. The 1.85:1 framing looks right to me, even if it's not like 1.66:1 made it lesser on Criterion's edition. Putting back the UA logo and no overly loud MGM logo also a plus. Keeping Criterion for the extras, but I think I'll get more out of this in projection when I upgrade my system sometimes in the future.
1.66 is a larger image than 1.85

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
I think Patrick was referring to the displayed image size on his screen not the size of the masked 35mm film element.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I pulled the trigger on this one in Kino's current sale for two reasons:
1. The price is better than B & N's half-price sales twice a year ($17.99 USD); and
2. I typically sit a fair distance from my 4K capable display, so the grain won't be as much of an issue.

alstein

Agent
Real Name
Aron
I own both the Criterion release as well as the Kino 4K release. When I watched the 4k release on my 65” Sony 4K OLED TV, I found the picture to be just fine; perhaps marginally better than the Criterion Blu-Ray. I did prefer the sound on the 4k release. If you don’t own this film, I would suggest purchasing the Criterion release. The extra’s alone are worth the price of admission! And both picture and sound quality are great. If you do own the Criterion release, 18 bucks is a reasonable price for owning a 4K release of a true classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks