What's new

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I also do not treat industry publications of the period as absolutes for anything published.

If I desired more information, I’d start with production files, and possibly see if there was an interview in AC with Mr. Cortez.

Those are my thoughts.
I don't treat them as absolutes either, which is one reason why I was asking. Some people are holding up that listing as definitive proof, but to me it's just another data point, one that may or may not be reliable.

ASC Mag has been a dead end for me so far. Their search function only pulls up a retrospective article with a smattering of quotes from Cortez, none of which provide proof -- well, other than making it clear that he didn't shoot it in Cinemascope, but we knew that! I went through the issues in the archive from 1955 and read the indices, but nothing looked promising. They don't appear to have profiled specific films or cinematographers very much back in that era.

And thank you! I didn't think that you necessarily had any direct knowledge in this specific case, but it never hurts to ask.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
In the old 16mm days, I owned a TV syndication print of THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER. That meant it was 1.33 or 1.37. The image was clearly meant to be cropped into a more horizontal shape, because you could see "blooper" material on the top and bottom occasionally. I find it hard to believe cinematographer Stanley Cortez would have permitted this, if he didn't know in advance that cropping was going to be done for a 1.85 release. In particular, I remember seeing the boom mike below the trundling little children when Lillian Gish takes them into town initially. Just reporting what I saw, folks.

Last edited:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
In the old 16mm days, I owned a TV syndication print of THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER. That meant it was 1.33 or 1.37. The image was clearly meant to be cropped into a more horizontal shape, because you could see "blooper" material on the top and bottom occasionally. I find it hard to believe cinematographer Stanley Cortez would have permitted this, if he didn't know in advance that cropping was going to be done for a 1.85 release. In particular, I remember seeing the boom mike below the trundling little children when Lillian Gish takes them into town initially. Just reporting what I saw, folks.
There's no question that while it was shot full frame, it was intended to be matted. The only question is 1.66:1 vs. 1.85:1.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There's no question that while it was shot full frame, it was intended to be matted. The only question is 1.66:1 vs. 1.85:1.
I’ve been informed that the UCLA restoration was set as 1.66.

Which, as has been discussed, is NOT the same 1.66 that would be the product of an OCN scan.

Different animals.

My vote is with UCLA.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Robert Gitt and the UCLA Film & Television Archive would disagree with you on that point, and Criterion went with their recommendation. I'm not saying that they are right and Kino is wrong, but I am asking for RAH's thoughts on the matter.

I know that Bob Furmanek believes that it should be 1`.85:1, and Box Office Weekly from 1955 says 1.85:1 as well. But there are arguments on both side, and I'd like to hear RAH's if he's willing.

There's always trouble when dealing with anything out of MGM/UA. In the DVD days, it seemed like SOP for them to release flat widescreen films in 1.66. A lot of us suspected it was because they wanted to be able to say that they released things in widescreen, while at the same time minimizing the intrusion of those pesky black bars for those what wanted their damn TV screens filled.

It seemed like a quasi-reasonable compromise, and the fact that there were several different aspect ratios in use for flat widescreen gave MGM/UA a handy excuse. But I think it also gave a lot of people a misunderstanding about what the original release ratios actually were for these films.

Last edited:

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Here’s an initial post by Bob Furmanek from eleven years back initiating a discussion on the subject. I know The Night of the Hunter was a United Artists release, but he mentions at the end the house Paramount widescreen ratio was 1.66:1 early on. So it’s quite plausible Mr. Harris’s conclusion is correct for this title.

Attachments

• IMG_5916.jpeg
    IMG_5916.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 49

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here’s an initial post by Bob Furmanek from eleven years back initiating a discussion on the subject. I know The Night of the Hunter was a United Artists release, but he mentions at the end the house Paramount widescreen ratio was 1.66:1 early on. So it’s quite plausible Mr. Harris’s conclusion is correct for this title.
The Night of the Hunter was filmed from August 18 - October 7, 1954.

Kilgore

Agent
Real Name
Glen Morgan
IMO, the Criterion release is worth it over the Kino for the Charles Laughton Directs the Night of the Hunter feature alone

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Watched the UHD last night and it might be the first time I've felt 4K is a bit much for a film. Still looks nice, but I think 1080p helps round out the edges in terms of optical shots, location vs studio. The 1.85:1 framing looks right to me, even if it's not like 1.66:1 made it lesser on Criterion's edition. Putting back the UA logo and no overly loud MGM logo also a plus. Keeping Criterion for the extras, but I think I'll get more out of this in projection when I upgrade my system sometimes in the future.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I was discussing the time period in which NOTH went into production when there was a concerted effort among studios and exhibitors towards standardization.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was discussing the time period in which NOTH went into production when there was a concerted effort among studios and exhibitors towards standardization.
Well aware of this. Chart begins in ‘57. Again, the point should be made that ratios alone tell just part of the story.

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks Mike but truth be told, things are incredibly busy on the restoration front and I only chimed in because someone quoted a post from 11 years ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks