What's new

The Name Of The Rose / Midnight Run ?? (1 Viewer)

ErichH

Screenwriter
Anybody own the DVD from NorthAmericanDVD - don't know that much about it, other than it's region 0 and DD 2chan . Looks bare, but if it plays ? I've seen copies from Brazil and other strange places. Just thinking about it. I imagine it will be a long time before we see it in the US - if ever.
Also, I can't believe Midnight Run is bringing 30+ bucks on ebay. Almost as much as I can't believe it's OOP.
One of DeNiro's coolest flicks Out Of Print ......What, are you using the Litmas Configuration?

What The F*!* (Midnight Run)
Eric

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm doing the litmus configur-ur-ation. :D
Great movie, glad I picked up the no-frills but adequate Image DVD over a year ago, I've watched it so many times since then. It's a true classic that deserves Special Edition treatment, but in the meantime, the cheapie Image release is doing just fine holding me over. :)
Anyhow, it's OOP because it's one of those titles affected in the Image/Universal dispute over the titles that Image was selling at very low prices (like $14.99 SRP, which isn't all that low these days) and Universal didn't like it or something, so they got pulled. Don't know if a better version shall come, or if it will only be the same skimpy disc re-released in a new package. Universal seems to be sitting on a great load of catalogue titles with no quick rush to get them on disc.

ErichH

Screenwriter
I've always taken the `Oh Well' attitude about most unreleased DVDs, but a Robert D flick seems just stupid. Guess I assumed it would be around, and the other day some of us were talking about the movie and my first stop was ebay. What a shock, I kinda knew it would be a cheezy release, but never expected OOP. I always get excited when I rediscover something for my collection.

Still wondering about Name Of The Rose - it's available.

Eric

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought an ALL regions DVD of The Name of the Rose. There is no reference in the cover or the DVD as to the publisher.
It has English 5.1 and Portuguese 2.0, plus English, Portuguese and Greek subtitles.
The video is presented in wide-screen letter boxed, non anamorphic. Not a very pristine transfer. There is quite a noticeable amount of scratches in the opening sequence, but 5 or 10 minutes into the movie, they pretty much disappear. While we get a decent release in region 1, this will do. I will simply read the book for the umpteen time while the needed special edition comes out...
JC

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Midnight Run is one of my favorite movies and was one of my first DVDs...I'm glad I picked it up when I did!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks