What's new

The Major And The Minor coming from Arrow (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, it's not terribly convincing.

I was able to look past that though and thoroughly enjoyed it when I saw it for the first time just two or three years ago.
It's a movie that I enjoyed more as a kid than I do now as a man in his 60's.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Out of curiosity, have you ever seen I Was a Male War Bride?

That's the other big movie I can think of from this era where you have to suspend reality a bit. Cary Grant isn't a very convincing French army officer, but it's a heck of a film and one of my favorites.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Out of curiosity, have you ever seen I Was a Male War Bride?

That's the other big movie I can think of from this era where you have to suspend reality a bit. Cary Grant isn't a very convincing French army officer, but it's a heck of a film and one of my favorites.
Yep, it's another film I enjoyed more when I was younger than I do now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have to say watching this movie is kind of rough for me as there is no way Ginger Rogers passes as a 12 year old.
Alright, I finished watching the Blu-ray after being distracted by that NFL game.:) Quite an improvement over the DVD. A really good job by Arrow. The movie is entertaining despite my issue with Ginger being 12 years old and then having older cadets putting moves on her like she was an older teenage girl. Also, the ending is really unbelievable, but it's just a movie and a romantic comedy at that.;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yep, it's another film I enjoyed more when I was younger than I do now.
I have to admit that I haven't watched my DVD of "I Was a Male Order Bride" in many years. I bought the HD digital from iTunes last year so I might revisit the movie in the near future.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
June Allyson tried a similar thing in Too Young to Kiss and while she was slightly more believable as a kid than Ginger, it still doesn't work. You have to suspend your disbelief to make it through either film.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Alright, I finished watching the Blu-ray after being distracted by that NFL game.:) Quite an improvement over the DVD. A really good job by Arrow. The movie is entertaining despite my issue with Ginger being 12 years old and then having older cadets putting moves on her like she was an older teenage girl. Also, the ending is really unbelievable, but it's just a movie and a romantic comedy at that.;)

I think the cadets are supposed to be 14, so it's not a shock they'd pounce on a 12-year-old - especially one as developed as Susan! :D

It's still pretty creepy that the Milland character falls in love with her when he believes she's 12, though!

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I've never been a fan of films like this that require everyone in the cast to be so oblivious to the obvious that all believability goes out the window. It works better when The Three Stooges or Laurel & Hardy do it, as their comedies are seldom set in the real world, but films like this never really work for me. (I know it's heresy, but I have always been lukewarm on Some Like It Hot for the same reason.)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I first saw this on TV in 1957 (age 12) and really liked it. I immediately put Billy Wilder on my must watch list. Even then, no way she looked like a 12-year-old, I knew some of them.

Today it just doesn't hold up for me. The impersonation goes on too long. Some Like It Hot keeps the movie going through a campy style that The Major and the Minor never gets to.

My favorite scene is still when she buys the train ticket in Grand Central.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I like the scene with the Veronica Lake peek-a-boo hairdo joke.

It would have been way naughtier if they had actually cast, tiny, Veronica Lake in Ginger's role.

0ce8ecef5fb598f3f3363f5ccb026867.jpg

996b9414ad86622d5ca586246211ae36.jpg

Stills from: "I Wanted Wings"- 1941, with Veronica Lake, William Holden, and Ray Milland.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm still extraordinarily fond of this wonderful movie. The casting is great (how good to see the writer Robert Benchley doing such a fine job) and Ginger Rogers' real-life mother playing Ginger's mother ... and Diana Lynn as the real young girl who sees straight through Ginger's pretence. And with uncanny accuracy, the creepiest character is the clergyman!
The ending scenes are sublime. My copy arrived yesterday. Can't wait. All my children love it too; we might have a family reunion for it.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I'm one of those that enjoys this movie a lot. It's not perfect by a long ways, but it's always a lot of fun. I've already watched the new blu from Arrow at least twice (once on my own and once with family), and I will probably watch it again in a few weeks, since I've been enjoying watching the Ginger Rogers films I own in the order they were released, and I haven't gotten that far yet otherwise. Again, I just love this movie for Ginger alone!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this last night and really enjoyed it. I hadn't seen the film for several years, I don't have a problem with Ginger masquerading as a 12 year old and I found Diana Lynn far less credible as a young child. The Arrow Blu-ray disc is good.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I'm a huge fan of Billy Wilder films, but, incredibly enough, I had never seen this movie until I watched the fine-looking Arrow Blu-ray last night. I found it to be be an absolute delight! Ginger Rogers never had a better comedic role and she handles it with assurance and a genuine sense of fun. Yes, you have to suspend belief when she plays an eleven-year-old child, but it works because the situations are so funny and the dialogue so sharp, thanks to the beautifully constructed script by Wilder and Charles Brackett. Rogers gets solid support from Ray Milland as her unknowing love interest, Diana Lynn as a sharp-eyed teenager, and Rita Johnson as Milland's conniving fiance. Its deserved box-office success solidified Wilder's reputation as a writer-director of enormous talent. The rest is history.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm a huge fan of Billy Wilder films, but, incredibly enough, I had never seen this movie until I watched the fine-looking Arrow Blu-ray last night. I found it to be be an absolute delight! Ginger Rogers never had a better comedic role and she handles it with assurance and a genuine sense of fun. Yes, you have to suspend belief when she plays an eleven-year-old child, but it works because the situations are so funny and the dialogue so sharp, thanks to the beautifully constructed script by Wilder and Charles Brackett. Rogers gets solid support from Ray Milland as her unknowing love interest, Diana Lynn as a sharp-eyed teenager, and Rita Johnson as Milland's conniving fiance. Its deserved box-office success solidified Wilder's reputation as a writer-director of enormous talent. The rest is history.

this is one that I have never seen but plan on watching soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks