What's new

The Major And The Minor coming from Arrow (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm a huge fan of Billy Wilder films, but, incredibly enough, I had never seen this movie until I watched the fine-looking Arrow Blu-ray last night.

Funny coincidence: I never even heard of the movie until I got the Blu-ray of "Seven Year Itch".

I watched that BD around Labor Day and heard about "MatM" in the audio commentary.

Right after that, Arrow announced the Blu-ray.

So clearly the fact I listened to the commentary inspired Arrow to produce the BD! :D

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Funny coincidence: I never even heard of the movie until I got the Blu-ray of "Seven Year Itch".

I watched that BD around Labor Day and heard about "MatM" in the audio commentary.

Right after that, Arrow announced the Blu-ray.

So clearly the fact I listened to the commentary inspired Arrow to produce the BD! :D
In your opinion, should this constitute a Major or Minor thank you? :D

CHEERS! :)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I think anyone expecting realism in Ginger Rogers playing a young girl had better stay far far away. The sheer incredulity of it is a major part of the fun, especially combined with Major Kirby's eye problems ..... the opening scenes in the train with the conductors on her trail should serve as a warning not to expect verisimilitude! The whole thing is warm-hearted hocus-pocus delight. And as I said earlier, the ending is just sublime.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm still extraordinarily fond of this wonderful movie. The casting is great (how good to see the writer Robert Benchley doing such a fine job) and Ginger Rogers' real-life mother playing Ginger's mother ... and Diana Lynn as the real young girl who sees straight through Ginger's pretence. And with uncanny accuracy, the creepiest character is the clergyman!
The ending scenes are sublime. My copy arrived yesterday. Can't wait. All my children love it too; we might have a family reunion for it.

I've come to you Anthony, hat in hand, to offer a sincere mea culpa.

I haven't seen this movie in about 25 years (owing to my very real "issues" with a post Oscar Ginger) and didn't really care for it all that much at the time.

A gorgeously restored version (I assume it's the blu-ray master) is currently streaming on PEACOCK and I decided to give it another shot tonight. Well, I don't know if I was in a bad mood all those years ago or just in an especially good one tonight but I was thoroughly charmed from the beginning and enjoyed every minute of it. I EVEN found Ginger a delight and also thought that her unconvincing portrayal of a 12 year old only added to the fun (let's face it, no viewer would really believe Dustin Hoffman is a woman in TOOTSIE or Julie Andrews is a man in VICTOR/VICTORIA anyway)

Diana Lynn is every bit a treat as I remember (though I would have liked more of her, she only seems to exist in her own bedroom, lol) and Robert Benchley is as wonderful as always. I love any chance to see Rita Johnson and it was a great treat to get to see Frankie "Ted Nickerson" Thomas and Charles "Beezy" Smith amidst the horny cadets too!

So, I need to apologize because I was wrong about this one. It was great great fun!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've come to you Anthony, hat in hand, to offer a sincere mea culpa.

I haven't seen this movie in about 25 years (owing to my very real "issues" with a post Oscar Ginger) and didn't really care for it all that much at the time.

A gorgeously restored version (I assume it's the blu-ray master) is currently streaming on PEACOCK and I decided to give it another shot tonight. Well, I don't know if I was in a bad mood all those years ago or just in an especially good one tonight but I was thoroughly charmed from the beginning and enjoyed every minute of it. I EVEN found Ginger a delight and also thought that her unconvincing portrayal of a 12 year old only added to the fun (let's face it, no viewer would really believe Dustin Hoffman is a woman in TOOTSIE or Julie Andrews is a man in VICTOR/VICTORIA anyway)

Diana Lynn is every bit a treat as I remember (though I would have liked more of her, she only seems to exist in her own bedroom, lol) and Robert Benchley is as wonderful as always. I love any chance to see Rita Johnson and it was a great treat to get to see Frankie "Ted Nickerson" Thomas and Charles "Beezy" Smith amidst the horny cadets too!

So, I need to apologize because I was wrong about this one. It was great great fun!
Yeah, I was kind of rough on this movie earlier in this thread. It's a good movie despite my misgivings about Ginger playing a 12 year old.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's great to have people find themselves, to their astonishment, enjoying this little gem. 'My Lolita', Billy Wilder said some years later. Diana Lynn and Robert Benchley make up the icing on the cake, while Ray Milland is just wonderful in a potentially difficult role. The final platform scene gets me every time!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks