What's new

The Magnificent Ambersons (finally!) coming this Fall - with possible caveats (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, it looks like The Magnificent Ambersons is finally making it to DVD in the US this Fall.

Blu-ray.com has posted an image (see it here: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Citizen-Kane-Blu-ray/24038/ ) of the Citizen Kane Blu-ray box, which clearly comes with a DVD of The Magnificent Ambersons.

Personally speaking, I never buy these big box releases (don't need all that extra packaging), so hopefully The Magnificent Ambersons DVD (and a regular Blu-ray packaged version of Citizen Kane) will be available separately for purchase in some way (store/online exclusive, after 6 months delay, etc.).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Can't wait for the Warner announcement to find out what all is in that box set. There appears to be three Kane discs along with the Ambersons disc.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Looking forward to this. I'll wait for the proper announcement, but I'd be surprised to read that Warner is holding folks hostage and forcing them to get the big set.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Great news, though the picture of the back of the Ambersons DVD on Amazon.com revealed absolutely no extras--surprising given its renown.

Originally Posted by mdnitoil

Looking forward to this. I'll wait for the proper announcement, but I'd be surprised to read that Warner is holding folks hostage and forcing them to get the big set.

I would to, especially since they pulled through with the Kubrick set

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
After a whole decade waiting for The Magnificent Ambersons, hopefully they've found some additional footage, anything, and don't release the film barebones..

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
2012 is the 70th Anniversary of Ambersons, I bet we don't see stand alone copies of it until then. The DVD is probably an extra bonus for people who buy the ultimate edition of Citizen Kane. Maybe when Ambersons comes out they'll include a DVD of Journey into Fear as an extra.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
So excited for this DVD! :D Another for my Colelction of Best Picture nominees... I almost have 'em all!!! :D

There are several interviewes with crew members on TCM.com so I could see these as being extras... i was going to use them for my own Ambersons DVD... I will hold off now untill I see a press release.

lets not forget that Fox "held us hostage" with Cavalcade, so I would not be the least bit surprised if Warners did it too.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by battlebeast

lets not forget that Fox "held us hostage" with Cavalcade, so I would not be the least bit surprised if Warners did it too.

I have better thoughts about Warner's than Fox. Warner at least released America, America a few months after it was in the Fox Kazan set, where as Fox has yet to release Wild River, Man On A Tightrope and Viva Zapata. And they also released The Singing Nun separately after they included it in a set of previously released holiday DVDs. Yes the Fox is really a dog.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by jdee28

After a whole decade waiting for The Magnificent Ambersons, hopefully they've found some additional footage, anything, and don't release the film barebones..

The image of the reverse side of The Magnificent Ambersons advertised on Amazon.com reveals 88 minutes.

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
It looks like it's a bare bones release of the 88 minute version. That's fine by me. I hope the search for additional elements will eventually yield a more complete version, but in the meantime, I'm glad to have the opportunity to own it. I'm sure Warner's restoration will be excellent.

I expect this will get a stand-alone release within six to twelve months of the amazon exclusive combo pack.

My hope is that Journey Into Fear will get a release in 2012 as well. More Welles is better than less Welles.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Originally Posted by Berkshires

It looks like it's a bare bones release of the 88 minute version. That's fine by me. I hope the search for additional elements will eventually yield a more complete version, but in the meantime, I'm glad to have the opportunity to own it. I'm sure Warner's restoration will be excellent.

I expect this will get a stand-alone release within six to twelve months of the amazon exclusive combo pack.

My hope is that Journey Into Fear will get a release in 2012 as well. More Welles is better than less Welles.
Well, I"m dissapointed that this is going to be a barebones release after we have waited so long for it. Even at 88 minutes it is still better than most other films made in the 1940s.

Journey Into Fear will more than likely end up on Warner Archive, remastered if we are really lucky.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
If it's barebones, why then was The Magnificent Ambersons not released circa 2004? All that wait for nothing.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Movies Unlimited has a pre-order listing for Ambersons, $16.99 US, but does NOT give any details about bonus features, etc. Good news! It won't be ONLY with Kane!

DavidBC

Second Unit
Warner simultaneously released the two new-to-dvd Tracy & Hepburn films separate from the box earlier in the year, so hopefully they would do the same with Ambersons. I'm cautiously optimistic until an official announcement.
.... Although the lack of features for a picture with this kind of back-story is disappointing.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I preordered Ambersons and I'm pretty sure that's all I am getting, so I'd say it's all but confirmed. Movies Unlimited has the preorder up.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by ahollis

:D Yup. And, I just got A Thousand Clowns and Naughty Marietta will be arriving any day now. :D So, I am down from 485 to around 30ish. Woot!

Ambersons> It's dissapointing that Warners (who distribute for Tuner) couldn't use some of the interviews they have about this film, mnay good videos on TCM.com.

And as for length, I belive all the "other" footage is now lost; The studio (RKO?) edited the film behind Welle's back when he was off in South America scouting locations for a forthcomming picture; they most likely destroyed the negatives for the silver content.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by ShowsOn
Well, I"m dissapointed that this is going to be a barebones release after we have waited so long for it. Even at 88 minutes it is still better than most other films made in the 1940s.

I've been really disappointed with WHV recently. They've been cranking out Blu-rays of their catalog titles without making the effort of producing any new supplements for films long overdue for SEs (The Man Who Would Be King, Excalibur, Barry Lyndon, Lolita).

Now the Magnificent Ambersons, which we've all waited so long for is probably barebones and DVD-only? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks