What's new

"The Last Emperor", will we ever see a decent transfer? (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I watched this title the other day and was reminded of how terrible the transfer was. It's a real shame as this film has the potential to look stunning.

Anyone know if we will see this title done right?

JimmyK

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Yes I read in a article on new york post or something..
That Artisan is restoring it for next year!
:D

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I have the Region 0 Korean release which has the theatrical cut in a goregous anamorphic transfer. It's hard to find, but still available here. It's only the theatrical cut, but it looks terrific.

The director's cut is on the second disc but appears to be the same crummy transfer as the Artisan release.

Jeff

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I agree that this movie is in dire need of a new transfer.

Considering how beautiful this movie is, the DVD needs to be of the highest quality possible. The current DVD is about as far from "high quality" as you can get.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I picked up a DVD magazine from France last week that had The Last Emperor (nice anamorphic transfer, optional subtitles, English & French soundtracks) as a free bonus inside... Talk about good luck -- best $6 I ever spent...

I've noticed that it is a very common practice over there to include free DVDs -- I've never seen it here. They also have like 10 different DVD magazines, which is why I can't even remember the title of the one in question.

Ted

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
This film is one of my favorites, yet the current transfer is pretty much unwatchable on my system. I would gladly replace it if a new transfer was readily available.

Joel

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
162 minute cut (155 min +4% PAL speed-up).

I am not familiar with different cuts involved so I can't tell you anything besides the running time...

Ted

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
actually here in the UK this is getting more and more the case as well with either free movies or promos for new dvs such as Matrix Reloaded or T3

:emoji_thumbsup:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid it was in Paris: on rue Linné half way between Metro Jussieu and the entrance to Jardin des Plantes. The magazine is "DVD Live" (#13) with Uma Thurman on the cover.

The only French DVD mag you can get in NYC is Les Années Laser and their DVDs tend to lame prieview things...

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks