What's new

The Keep? (1 Viewer)

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any info on the dvd release of this 1983 cult classic. Directed by Michael Mann, starring Gabriel Byrne, Ian McKellen and Jurgen Prochnow, and music by Tangerine Dream?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Only that dvdsoon.com a Canadian e-tailer, had it listed from Paramount, for an October release if I remember rightly, until quite recently. Then it - and Once Upon a Time in the West - was withdrawn. They told me that they had jumped the gun, that Paramount had announced them internally, but didn't want the dates publicly announced.

Of course, how true that it, only Paramount, and dvdsoon, know!

---
So many films, so little time...

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Well, if it's not too far in the production stage, I hope they make sure to include the expanded ending (at least as a bonus item) as shown in certain TV versions.

It's much more satisfying and must have been approved by Mann already, as they could have chosen any number of trims and outs to pad out the running time for TV, minus the cuts.

Kelly V

Stunt Coordinator
I am really looking forward to seeing this movie again! Lots of friends looking for it too!! :)

Steve R Smith

Auditioning
I've been waiting a long time for this one to be released. I had it on laserdisk and watched it many times. Great music score by Tangerine Dream.

Josey M

Agent
I saw a movie years ago called the Keep staring Scott Glen.
He was a drifter with a special gun under his bed.
When somebody opened the Keep and the monster or ultimate evil was to be released he got a sense about it and took his gun and headed for the Keep.
Curious here. Is this the same film?
I have been looking for this and can't locate it anywhere. Excelent film by the way. One that leaves an impression that last.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mehdy

Stunt Coordinator
This is the main reason why I look at this form-it tells me
about movies that I dont know about...michael Mann is one
of the best director's around, I wait and get the DVD rather
than see it on crapey tape for a first look. Manhunter and
heat are my two favorites...thanks for the tip-you might want to try brazil(criterion collection),1984, and the fog
as some new titles to try on DVD.:b

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well, if it's not too far in the production stage, I hope they make sure to include the expanded ending (at least as a bonus item) as shown in certain TV versions.

It's much more satisfying and must have been approved by Mann already, as they could have chosen any number of trims and outs to pad out the running time for TV, minus the cuts.
Actually the story behind this "Expanded Ending" is that FX supervisor Wally Veevers died while making the film and being an old school FX guy he didn't share "tricks of the trade" with anybody, so when he passed away they had to bring in several FX experts to try and figure out what he was planing for this end sequence....they couldn't do it. The entire end sequence was cut from the film (making the Theatrical Version ending rather truncated & unsatisfactory) and the only time it was ever shown was on network TV in a badly cobbled together version.

With current digital technology I'm sure they could complete the FX of the true ending and re-instate it into the film, hell with a little seamless branching they could offer both versions.

...all it takes is money...and this being Paramount dealing with a lesser known cult film it is doubtful that we will ever see this take place.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
With current digital technology I'm sure they could complete the FX of the true ending and re-instate it into the film, hell with a little seamless branching they could offer both versions.

...all it takes is money...and this being Paramount dealing with a lesser known cult film it is doubtful that we will ever see this take place.
They wouldn't even do it for Star Trek V!

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
I doubt they could pull off a director's cut. Mann is notoriously difficult to deal with and even get to communicate with.

I would like to see the cobbled together TV ending, even if it was a bit rough. It's the difference between a must buy and a wait and see.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I don't think Michael Mann is difficult to deal with. He offered to supervise the new Manhunter DVD and that worked out fine. I heard the problem with THe Keep was that Paramount and Tangerine Dream had been arguing about royalties for years and that held up any new release. :angry:

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
That was the recent Manhunter release.

Back in 2001 when they were doing the first Manhunter release, dealing with him and his office was a major difficulty and communications were strained.

He was supposed to do a commentary track at that time and the session was booked, scheduled and agreed to...except on the day of the recording he just didn't show up, no word, no nothing.

I was working at Anchor Bay at the time and this is what was told to me. The disc producer was furious!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I heard the problem with THe Keep was that Paramount and Tangerine Dream had been arguing about royalties for years and that held up any new release.
That dispute is about the soundtrack album (which was never officially released), not the film itself.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
John Co wrote (post #16):

Note that this post is dated December 17th, 2001
, almost two years before the (presumed) release date. It was very generous of him to let that "cat out of the bag", but, of course, now, for whatever reason (Mr. Mann's schedule conflicts???), that's fallen through, and Blythe might naturally not want to be more specific---or he just might not know, as stated previously.

One of the big problems I have with the studios' marketing of horror movies---and I think this one was pitched as more of a "supernatural-horror" movie than a science-fiction one at the time of its original release---is that they seem to be more or less stuck on one (or maybe two) months of the year, in time for the Halloween buying season, I guess. That means if a film you want doesn't make it into release during that narrow window, you will in all likelihood have to wait at least a full year before you get an opportunity to see it on DVD. I wish they'd wake up and be more flexible. I'd buy the same movie in the dead of winter or in the bloom of spring as that during the Halloween buying season, and I suspect most fans of particular "horror" titles---the most likely purchasers of those videos---would also.

In any event, I would counsel to all those interested in having this film on DVD the same as what I said to this person here. Patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks