What's new

The Invisible Man + The Creature from the Black Lagoon Blu Ray Legacy Sets coming 8/28 (1 Viewer)

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Maybe they could have added THE LAST WARNING (1929) to a Phantom-themed set since it takes place in a theater and Universal has recently restored it supposedly.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Apparently THE LAST WARNING was James Whale's major influence and favorite film. It was considered lost and a pristine print has been found. I'm not sure if the sound disc has been located. Apparently, it had an effects and music disc that many of the films at this time had.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
At least it's nice to see the complete run arrive in HD. Agreed 1000% that the other classics cry out for Blu-ray releases-particularly the Karloff and Lugosi films. Wouldn't it be something for missing bits of THE BLACK CAT to show up somehow or perhaps the original edit of MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The BD 4K remasters of the Frankenstein and Mummy sequels were just absolutely stunning. They had a UHD BD feel to them. If these are of the same quality, I am in.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The BD 4K remasters of the Frankenstein and Mummy sequels were just absolutely stunning. They had a UHD BD feel to them. If these are of the same quality, I am in.
The Creature sequels from what I've read, sound really promising. I haven't seen anything regarding The Invisible Man sequels as yet, however.

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It would be nice to have the 1943 Phantom of the Opera on Blu without needing to buy that entire box when one has bought the other Blus separately, and I hope an individual release will happen at some point. I mean, if they can release The Egg and I separately, they could certainly find a place for another 40s film as a separate release.

Real Name
Christopher Russo
Real Name
Christopher Russo
Bob Furmanek, if you’re out there I do have a quick question about the Revenge restoration. In this clip you notice that between 1:10-1:15 there is a brief pause in the music (the MST3K guys even make a comment about it). This pause was also on the VHS release of the film.

For the DVD the pause was bridged evident by this video (skip to 10:26-10:33).

Was curious how this was handled on the new release. Is the gap there again or is it bridges??

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thank you so much, Christopher. I had no idea, and I placed an immediate order.
Unless you follow these films somewhat religiously it's easy to overlook the more niche titles like Phantom. It's more musical than horror and is usually purchased mainly to complete the collection (I know that's why I own a copy). I really like the artwork on the latest issue of Phantom and, even though it's not an exact match, think it'd look real nice next to the Legacy sets.

IIRC the original BR release of the 1943 Phantom was in 2012 (and has some nice artwork as well).

Last edited:
Real Name
Christopher Russo
Yes ‘43 Phantom was included in the 2012 Essentials Collection. The 8 films in the same collection were given individual releases in 2013. In the US they were given original poster covers, in the UK it was B&W images with red logos. They were then reissued again in the US in 2014 with the cover art of the UK releases. At some point there was also what was basically a reissue of the Essentials Collection but dropped Creature and Phantom as well as the booklet. The 2014 individual sets were reissued again in 2016 with glow and dark slip covers. IIRC these were available exclusively at Walmart.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

No help in answering your question, Christopher, sorry. Just had to comment on the Mystery Science Theater 3000 video above. Sometimes those guys really shine, but not this time, judging by that clip. Man, talk about unfunny. Don't think I laughed once. OK, I might've smirked during the "One small step" line. That's about it.

Revenge of the Creature, while not a great film by any means, is still far too well-made to qualify for the MST3K treatment, anyway. Really looking forward to seeing this in 3D!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
No help in answering your question, Christopher, sorry. Just had to comment on the Mystery Science Theater 3000 video above. Sometimes those guys really shine, but not this time, judging by that clip. Man, talk about unfunny. Don't think I laughed once. OK, I might've smirked during the "One small step" line. That's about it.

Revenge of the Creature, while not a great film by any means, is still far too well-made to qualify for the MST3K treatment, anyway. Really looking forward to seeing this in 3D!
I think Revenge ended up on MST3K for two reasons- they got access to some Universal movies that season (they also did pretty lousy movies like The Mole People & The Thing That Couldn't Die and somewhat better ones like The Deadly Mantis & The Leech Woman that year) and so they could do jokes about Clint Eastwood ("This guy's bad. This is his first and last movie.").

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I think Revenge ended up on MST3K for two reasons- they got access to some Universal movies that season (they also did pretty lousy movies like The Mole People & The Thing That Couldn't Die and somewhat better ones like The Deadly Mantis & The Leech Woman that year) and so they could do jokes about Clint Eastwood ("This guy's bad. This is his first and last movie.").

Yeah, MST3K was on the Universal-owned Sci-Fi channel by that time and they were pretty much mandated to use x-number of Universal titles. That's why the MST3K movie used THIS ISLAND EARTH, which despite a few goofy moments, is still a classic— they were forced to use it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A huge appeal for me has been the use of better elements with these Blu-ray upgrades. With a few mostly minor exceptions, these Legacy releases represent the best quality home video releases these Universal Monsters have ever seen.

I'm greatly looking forward to viewing these upcoming Creature/Invisible Man sets!

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen financial circumstances, I don't expect to be getting these, or any other video releases anytime soon! :(

Nevertheless, I am still interested in reading other members feedback relating to The Invisible Man and Creature Blu-ray sets! It should be fun! :)

Exeter

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I just received my pre-ordered copy of THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON COMPLETE LEGACY COLLECTION. Has anyone else tried to watch this set's REVENGE OF THE CREATURE in 3D? The picture is split down the middle with side-by-side, very squeezed, identical versions of the movie (in 2D) on either side of the screen. I tried two different 3D Blu-ray players with the same result.

I own over a hundred 3D Blu-rays, but I've never seen such a thing. I tried watching a couple of other 3D movies just to make sure my Sony TV hadn't gone haywire, but those discs played perfectly. Can anyone comment on this?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That’s a handshake issue between your player and display. Turn off, reset and if that doesn’t work, you may have to manually set your display for side-by-side 3D.

Exeter

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Tried reset with no change. I checked ALL the 3D settings on both my player and my display. There is no "side-by-side 3D" option that I could find. BLACK LAGOON plays fine in 3D...just REVENGE is not working.

Unless someone else can offer some advice, I'll return the set and stick to the old, excellent field-sequential 3D version I still have, though I'll miss the audio commentary. Weird.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tried reset with no change. I checked ALL the 3D settings on both my player and my display. There is no "side-by-side 3D" option that I could find. BLACK LAGOON plays fine in 3D...just REVENGE is not working.

Unless someone else can offer some advice, I'll return the set and stick to the old, excellent field-sequential 3D version I still have, though I'll miss the audio commentary. Weird.
Can you post your TV model number, or a photo of the 3D menu from the TV (such as below)?
upload_2018-8-28_13-50-57.png

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just received my pre-ordered copy of THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON COMPLETE LEGACY COLLECTION. Has anyone else tried to watch this set's REVENGE OF THE CREATURE in 3D? The picture is split down the middle with side-by-side, very squeezed, identical versions of the movie (in 2D) on either side of the screen. I tried two different 3D Blu-ray players with the same result.

I own over a hundred 3D Blu-rays, but I've never seen such a thing. I tried watching a couple of other 3D movies just to make sure my Sony TV hadn't gone haywire, but those discs played perfectly. Can anyone comment on this?
This is definitely a new one on me! :blink:

Could this be a potential disc replacement issue, perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks