What's new

The Invisible Man + The Creature from the Black Lagoon Blu Ray Legacy Sets coming 8/28 (1 Viewer)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Each set will include Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, right?

It just wouldn't be a Universal Monster set without it. In fact, I was a bit disappointed the Chucky set didn't include a copy.

But seriously, nice to see the final two sets make it out. Even better news about the 4K restoration.

Most likely A&C meet The Invisible Man .. I really hope the 50s monster movies will happen soon.. Monster on the Campus, Land Unknown, This Island Earth, Tarantula all should get domestic releases IMHO :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Most likely A&C meet The Invisible Man .. I really hope the 50s monster movies will happen soon.. Monster on the Campus, Land Unknown, This Island Earth, Tarantula all should get domestic releases IMHO :)
It might get both since the Invisible Man does appear at the end of Meet Frankenstein.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
:dance::banana::rock::dancing-banana-04:

A Day One purchase here!

My only annoyance is that they waited so long! I'm guessing it was the 3D restoration for Revenge of the Creature that was the holdup. I can forgive for that (even though I don't own 3D equipment). :)

I can't decide if I'll keep my "Essentials Collection" BR or not. It does have Phantom... even though it's the lesser 1943 version. I'd just as soon keep that set as purchase it stand-alone. Of course, if they do what they did with the DVDs they'll re-release it in the special packaging so they can then release a "Complete Collection" BR box set. Now... if they'd see fit to do a "Complete Phantom of the Opera" with the 1925 Lon Chaney and the 1943 Claude Rains versions I'd be a very happy camper indeed! They should as they own both movies and the 1925 version is truly a horror film which belongs in the set, standing in stark contrast to the 1943 musical which just doesn't seem to fit.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Like many here, this is a day one purchase. While I grew up watching the bulk of these movies when shown on TV, I had never seen the Invisible Man movies until getting the mega DVD set. Now it is one of my favorites, where even the sequels (except one) are also favorites. Looking forward to this release, as well as the second Creature movie. Most likely my next projector will have 3D capabilities, in which the Creature movies will be the first to be watched.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
Day one for me on both and this is great news about Revenge. I'm really excited for upgrades on the Invisible Man sequels as upon reflection it's the most successful string of sequels as only the final entry is subpar (but even it has its moments.)

But I am disheartened to see a potential complete boxset come out after we've all bought these sets and been stuck with many multiple discs.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
But I am disheartened to see a potential complete boxset come out after we've all bought these sets and been stuck with many multiple discs.

But the US Legacy sets are in very nice neat cases (& slips), a lot better than the UK versions. I'm glad I imported.

EDIT, looking over at Blu-ray.com it looks like there is a big set (with all the legacy sets) coming on August 28th...but let's not wish away the summer :)

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
For the first time since 1956, you'll be seeing the third film in the correct aspect ratio!

Creature_Walks.jpg

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Day one for me on both and this is great news about Revenge. I'm really excited for upgrades on the Invisible Man sequels as upon reflection it's the most successful string of sequels as only the final entry is subpar (but even it has its moments.)

The mega DVD box set had all the duplicates as well since it was just a box housing all the individual releases. The mega blu-ray set may be again the same thing. The blu-ray cases are thin enough for me, as is, I have no complaints with the duplicates being included.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
With these box sets being so compact,
I have never understood the worry and complaints about additional Blu-ray copies of these movies.
Talk about 1st World problems.

If anything,
I am happy to have redundancy on films that I love so well.

Announcement of The Invisible Man and The Creature Blu-ray Legacy sets have made my weekend.

I hope for more Universal horror and monsters on Blu.
And I will not complain if a Karloff & Lugosi set includes a copy of Son of Frankenstein.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The previous BD sets in this line have been pretty inexpensive - I paid around $16-22 for each of the Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf Man and Mummy sets. Assuming that these will be priced about the same, I won’t complain. That’s still less than some other companies charge for a single movie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not sure where I'll pick these up. I got the last sets at Costco for a very reasonable price. But they seem to be out of the media business.

Real Name
Christopher Russo
If anyone who's gotten all the Legacy sets thus far and are thinking about the complete box set, I wouldn't look too deep into it. It'll likely be all the individual legacy sets plus '43 Phantom in one box set just like they did with the 2014 DVD set.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Box will likely have a booklet just like the DVD box. Probably the same one with a slight reformat so it'll fit a BR box.

I'm quite happy with the individual BR/slipcase releases and won't purchase a BR box set - unless it's exactly the same price I expect to pay for "The Invisible Man," "The Creature from the Black Lagoon," and "The Phantom of the Opera" individual BR Legacy releases combined. Essentially about $60.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Box will likely have a booklet just like the DVD box. Probably the same one with a slight reformat so it'll fit a BR box.

I'm quite happy with the individual BR/slipcase releases and won't purchase a BR box set - unless it's exactly the same price I expect to pay for "The Invisible Man," "The Creature from the Black Lagoon," and "The Phantom of the Opera" individual BR Legacy releases combined. Essentially about $60.
There is no Legacy edition of Phantom of the Opera. There wasn’t one on DVD. It’s available as a stand-alone disc for those who opt for the Legacy collections instead of the upcoming complete box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks