What's new

The Invisible Man + The Creature from the Black Lagoon Blu Ray Legacy Sets coming 8/28 (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Well... that confirms that they're not going to do the "right thing" and release a "Phantom of the Opera Complete Legacy Collection." Bummer...

The page count of the "Collectible Book" matches that of the DVD so it's likely to be identical, just a bit smaller -- unless thay repackage this in some lousy digipak format to be able to keep the DVD sized book.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just wish they would quit making us double dip on everything

I was just thinking this. I had purchased the monsters set several years ago when it was first released. It’s still a great set. Now I’ve periodically collected the legacy sets of Frankenstein, Wolfman, and the Mummy. I was pleasantly surprised about the legacy set for Creatute from the Black Lagoon legacy set and was going for that when it’s out. Plus I might grab the Dracula set. And for sure I’ll get the Invisible Man Legacy.

Regarding Phantom of the Opera, I’ve still not seen that yet. Even though it’s in the DVD and Blu ray set. I did prepare for it by getting the Blu ray of the silent version too. But there are other titles in that series?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Phantom of the Opera, I’ve still not seen that yet. Even though it’s in the DVD and Blu ray set. I did prepare for it by getting the Blu ray of the silent version too. But there are other titles in that series?
No. There's just the silent one (not part of any of the Universal Monster sets and available on Blu-ray from Kino) and the Claude Rains one from 1943 which is available in the first Universal Monster set and as an individual disc so it's easily obtainable if someone buys the upcoming box set.

I don't see what the problem is with the box set. It's just the existing discs maybe in a slightly smaller box than the space that the Legacy sets take up and presumably no duplicates like the Legacy sets had. That's certainly no reason for me to buy the box set. It's just something to sell to people who never picked any of the other sets up.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
No. There's just the silent one (not part of any of the Universal Monster sets and available on Blu-ray from Kino) and the Claude Rains one from 1943 which is available in the first Universal Monster set and as an individual disc so it's easily obtainable if someone buys the upcoming box set.

I don't see what the problem is with the box set. It's just the existing discs maybe in a slightly smaller box than the space that the Legacy sets take up and presumably no duplicates like the Legacy sets had. That's certainly no reason for me to buy the box set. It's just something to sell to people who never picked any of the other sets up.
A case could be made for the otherwise unavailable 48 page booklet, though. <_<

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
;);)

I suppose this will be last time for double dipping of the monsters. However, if an Abbott and Costello Blu-ray set comes out, then it all starts over.
Unless they start releasing the monster titles in UHD.;):):wacko::eek:
A huge appeal for me has been the use of better elements with these Blu-ray upgrades. With a few mostly minor exceptions, these Legacy releases represent the best quality home video releases these Universal Monsters have ever seen.

I'm greatly looking forward to viewing these upcoming Creature/Invisible Man sets!

CHEERS! :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Travis regarding Phantom. Yes, I agree it’s a great set for someone who doesn’t have the set yet.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I don't see what the problem is with the box set. It's just the existing discs maybe in a slightly smaller box than the space that the Legacy sets take up and presumably no duplicates like the Legacy sets had.

I wouldn't presume that. The DVD mega set was just the individual sets contained in a box, duplicates and all. They are even using the same art from the DVD mega set for the blu-ray set. I'm sure it is much cheaper to do the same with the bliu-ay mega set than to design all new packaging and do a special disk run just for the mega set, even if it does reduce the disk count.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
The Collection set is also up on Amazon (it's "currently unavailable like the individual sets, so I'll let Mod's post the
91FbC%2BIYrpL._SX466_.jpg

91py-KA9sAL._SX466_.jpg

$199 is initial price

Real Name
Christopher Russo
I wouldn't presume that. The DVD mega set was just the individual sets contained in a box, duplicates and all. They are even using the same art from the DVD mega set for the blu-ray set. I'm sure it is much cheaper to do the same with the bliu-ay mega set than to design all new packaging and do a special disk run just for the mega set, even if it does reduce the disk count.

You beat me to it although I think we both mentioned this earlier. But anyways yes it definitely seems like this new set is merely the 6 individual Legacy sets plus ‘43 Phantom all in one box. That was the case with the 2014 DVD set, unlikely Universal will change it up for this set. As for the booklet they’ll likely use the same booklet from the first BD set. The booklet in the DVD set was merely the Essentials Collection booklet just a slightly different size to accommodate the DVD sized box set. As this new set is BD it would make sense to just reuse the booklet from the Essentials Collection.

Real Name
Christopher Russo
And one last thing. Amazon says the new set has 24 discs. If you add up the number of discs of all the Legacy sets including the upcoming ones as well as a separate disc for ‘43 Phantom it adds up to 24.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
And one last thing. Amazon says the new set has 24 discs. If you add up the number of discs of all the Legacy sets including the upcoming ones as well as a separate disc for ‘43 Phantom it adds up to 24.
It actually adds up to 25, but they are not going to include all the duplicates, so to subtract the 4 duplicate discs, I count a total of 21 discs.
Frankenstein box - 5
Wolf Man box - 4 (2 dupes)
Dracula box - 4 (2 dupes)
Mummy box - 4
Invisible Man box - 4
Creature box - 3
Phantom - 1

Real Name
Christopher Russo
I believe the Creature set will be two discs (the DVD edition was at least) unless Revenge needs its own disc to accommodate the 3D version being included. Interestingly the 2014 DVD set was 21 discs even with duplicates.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Universal's release of the 1962 PHANTOM OF THE OPERA on the Hammer set looks spectacular! Just wish it had some extras. All of the silent versions of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA on blu-ray look spectacular as well. It's too bad the sound version of the Lon Chaney version is lost. I know they found 1 reel and have it on the Image version as well as some of the sound disks. I guess it was burned up when they decided to melt down all their silent films to get the silver out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks