What's new

The Invisible Man + The Creature from the Black Lagoon Blu Ray Legacy Sets coming 8/28 (1 Viewer)

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
This also happened to me last night. The Revenge of the Creature defaulted to side by side on three different setups: Epson and Optoma projectors and on TV.
I was unable to correct it on the projectors but managed to work around it on the TV. The players were all Sonys.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Epson and Optoma projectors and on TV.
I was unable to correct it on the projectors

Interesting. I don't have the disc yet, but I know my Optoma projector allows me to select various 3D formats, as below (SBS is side-by-side):

upload_2018-8-28_14-21-58.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Thanks. It's a SONY XBR65Z9D (released in 2016)
This is what it says in the manual:

3D models have [3D settings] in [Settings] — [Picture & Display].

If two pictures are displayed side-by-side, press the ACTION MENU button, then select [3D] — [3D display] — [3D (Side-by-Side)]

If that doesn't help, then I guess I'm stumped.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Multiple reports coming in over the issue. Some people have been able to get it displaying properly with a menu trip, others appear stumped. Those who have watched it seem to be impressed with it

Exeter

Auditioning
Real Name
David
This is what it says in the manual:

If that doesn't help, then I guess I'm stumped.

Thanks for the reply. I was able to select Side-By-Side 3D, but only when the BD player is powered OFF. But then when I turn the player back on to play the disc, the display reverts back to the original setting, and the movie appears on the screen as described before...side-by-side. I even turned off the AUTO setting in the 3D output option, but that made no difference. Thanks anyway for taking the time to look into this.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Shouldn't this have been encoded onto the disc using frame packing rather than side-by-side encoding anyway?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So are you guys telling me that this disc is encoded as side-by-side 3D instead of framepacking? Why would Universal choose this method when all other releases have been the correct method?

By the way, that means the resolution has been cut in HALF guys!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It appears that my being unable to purchase the latest Legacy Blu-ray sets may have been a blessing in disguise, in terms of the apparently botched 3-D encoding of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE (1955) on the Creature set. What a shame! :(

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Tried reset with no change. I checked ALL the 3D settings on both my player and my display. There is no "side-by-side 3D" option that I could find. BLACK LAGOON plays fine in 3D...just REVENGE is not working.

Unless someone else can offer some advice, I'll return the set and stick to the old, excellent field-sequential 3D version I still have, though I'll miss the audio commentary. Weird.
On my Nvidea- some 3D titles will not work if hardware acceleration is on. You might check to see if that is a setting option.
I know it's a long shot but...

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It appears that my being unable to purchase the latest Legacy Blu-ray sets may have been a blessing in disguise, in terms of the apparently botched 3-D encoding of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE (1955) on the Creature set. What a shame! :(
Numerous postings on the other forum appear to confirm the worst fears regarding the 3-D REVENGE OF THE CREATURE (1955)! :(

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
[I have edited this post because I was speculating on a disc I had not seen, and I don't want to create any confusion or add unnecessary speculation. I look forward to seeing the disc. - JS]

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Shoot, I was going to order this. If it is an authoring error and you do own it now, or like me who is about to buy it and didn’t know about this problem, I would think Universal would take care of us and mail us a replacement disc.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
One crucial reason that I'm not optimistic about Universal offering a disc replacement for REVENGE OF THE CREATURE (1955) is it goes against their history. For example, over the years, there have been foul ups of various sorts with Abbott and Costello titles on previous DVD releases that were sometimes rectified on subsequent releases (IE. Replaced end titles for ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, on the 2008 A&C Complete Universal Collection Trunk set release, that had the original end titles quietly reinstated on its 2014 reissue!), but never in the form of disc replacement.

While I honestly hope that I'm proven wrong, my expectation is the only way that REVENGE OF THE CREATURE gets fixed (Assuming that anyone at Universal eventually deems this necessary!) is in a future release down the road.

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
We have not yet seen the disc.

This is possibly an authoring issue and we have no answers at this time. We are waiting on a response from the studio.

For the record, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the restoration.
If this problem is true Bob - it really is a shame to spoil your teams untiring efforts to produce the best possible 3D release. But we understand the difference between restoration and authoring.:thumbsup:

Exeter

Auditioning
Real Name
David
One crucial reason that I'm not optimistic about Universal offering a disc replacement for REVENGE OF THE CREATURE (1955) is it goes against their history. For example, over the years, there have been foul ups of various sorts with Abbott and Costello titles on previous DVD releases that were sometimes rectified on subsequent releases (IE. Replaced end titles for ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, on the 2008 A&C Complete Universal Collection Trunk set release, that had the original end titles quietly reinstated on its 2014 reissue!), but never in the form of disc replacement.

While I honestly hope that I'm proven wrong, my expectation is the only way that REVENGE OF THE CREATURE gets fixed (Assuming that anyone at Universal eventually deems this necessary!) is in a future release down the road.

CHEERS! :)

There's a huge difference between replaced end titles and being unable to even watch the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks