What's new

THE IMMORTAL (1970-1971) to hit DVD very soon! (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine was livid when he got the set. They crammed 6 episodes per disc so the bit rate is low and compression is high. Why would they do this and not use 5 discs or at least 4? I don't have an answer for him.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
A friend of mine was livid when he got the set. They crammed 6 episodes per disc so the bit rate is low and compression is high. Why would they do this and not use 5 discs or at least 4? I don't have an answer for him.
I know VEI has started to repackage some sets such as Hotel, The Equalizer, Cannon and others into smaller sets with a smaller disc count. I think they have just carried it forward to all of their current releases. The 90's Untouchables had 5 and 6 shows to a disc too if I remember.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I believe the Magician has 6 episodes per disk as well. I've declared it as the Millcreek Effect.

Except they aren't charging Mill Creek prices. With shipping and tax, the set came to over $40. I don't mind cramming when it comes to something like the Cannon box that I got so cheaply with 122 episodes. But that's not the case here.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Speaking of DVD constraints... a typical DVD-9 format disc (dual layer, 8.5 GB) would hold up to 240 minutes (4 hours), but if I know right only about 75-80% of that space should be occupied by the episodes themselves (which in the end only means about 3 hours worth of the programs themselves)!

It's the same with the old VHS tapes... SP, or standard play, mode - is usually favored with respect to not losing picture quality. Thus, most movies on VHS relied on the T120 format (T180 for some longer films).

~Ben

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Except they aren't charging Mill Creek prices. With shipping and tax, the set came to over $40. I don't mind cramming when it comes to something like the Cannon box that I got so cheaply with 122 episodes. But that's not the case here.

Very true. All I can think is that MC gets better licensing deals and/or has less associated costs since most of what they deal with has already been released prior. And given how CBS prices what they release, I can only imagine what their there licensing fees must be. It is very unfortunate. VEI prices seem to stay fairly firm for the initial release, but I'm sure they will get heavily discounted over time.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of DVD constraints... a typical DVD-9 format disc (dual layer, 8.5 GB) would hold up to 240 minutes (4 hours), but if I know right only about 75-80% of that space should be occupied by the episodes themselves (which in the end only means about 3 hours worth of the programs themselves)!

It's the same with the old VHS tapes... SP, or standard play, mode - is usually favored with respect to not losing picture quality. Thus, most movies on VHS relied on the T120 format (T180 for some longer films).

~Ben

The Immortal episodes run 51+ minutes. Times 6 that's close to 310 minutes per disc.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've ordered this, more out of a sense of nostalgia than expecting anything great. Was a young Christopher George fan for "The Rat Patrol" and got very excited when this 'sci-fi' series came later, though it's more a "Fugitive" or "Run for Your Life" genre. And then I remember he married Lynda Day George, who appears somewhere in here, and he died fairly young. Ironic.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The Immortal episodes run 51+ minutes. Times 6 that's close to 310 minutes per disc.
Here's how I would have envisioned this set... five discs.

DISC 1:
Pilot (75 minutes)
Episode 1 (50 minutes)
Episode 2 (50 minutes)

DISC 2:
Episodes 3-6 (approx. 200 minutes total)

DISC 3:
Episodes 7-10 (approx. 200 minutes total)

DISC 4:
Episodes 11-13 (approx. 150 minutes total)

DISC 5:
Episodes 14-15 (approx. 100 minutes total)

~Ben

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I am really enjoying the Immortal. I had known nothing about it, and decided to order it from VEI based on the way everyone on the forum spoke of it. It reminds a lot of the Fugitive, with Ben Richards on the run, but always wanting to help the people he meets as he tries to avoid being captured. I'd only ever seen Christopher George in Rat Patrol, which felt extremely repetitive. But I really like his acting in the Immortal and keep finding myself rooting for him from episode to episode. The episodes themselves look great and are full-length. Really glad I sprung for this, even with the $10 shipping from Niagara Falls.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
For those of you who own a copy of this on DVD, may I ask if any of the following Paramount Television logo variations were seen on the episodes in question?

Watching this compilation I did, I know that the first logo was seen on the 1969 pilot, but what I want to ask you all is this: didn't the logo at 0:20 first show up on episode 1x04, "The Legacy"?

I am quite sure that none of the episodes of The Immortal would have the logo with the 1970 music AND the 1970 copyright, as seen here, correct?

~Ben

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Just watched the pilot episode on this. Quite good picture quality and the story and dialogue really hold up. Definitely a worthwhile nostalgia purchase if anyone's still on the fence. And they surrounded Christopher George with top flight actors Barry Sullivan, Ralph Bellamy and Archer voice character... Jessica Walters (back when she was the eye candy). And it's always great looking at Carol Lynley, who's still with us and, according to Wikipedia... had an 18-year affair with David Frost. Who knew?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.