What's new

THE IMMORTAL (1970-1971) to hit DVD very soon! (1 Viewer)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
James Gunn also wrote all the teleplays for the series...so it was very much his baby...

Actually, Gunn had little or nothing to do with the series. His original stories were the basis of the concept but that’s all. I read the original work recently and it’s really more about the doctor in the pilot episode.

But it was all out of his hands and many episodes were actually just rewritten episodes of The Fugitive.

Getting this series for Christmas. Been waiting a long time for this. Amazing actuo and music. I’d love a score release for this series.

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, rediscovering Dominic Frontiere was the composer for this series was a surprising plus. But so far I've not found him recycling any themes from "The Outer Limits" as he did for "The Fugitive." And I'll be looking for those recycled "The Fugitive" story-lines.

It seems this series was basically built around a car chase or foot chase per episode interjected into the usual human interest story.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
But so far I've not found him recycling any themes from "The Outer Limits" as he did for "The Fugitive."

To be fair to Frontiere, if QM Productions had actually hired Frontiere to compose custom scores for new Fugitive episodes, then each score probably would have been unique.

But QM scored the Fugitive episodes with library music, such as Frontiere's Outer Limits cues. (This was in addition to Rugolo's Fugitive-specific cues.) It's not really fair to accuse Frontiere of recycling.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, we celebrated Christmas in our home this evening as we travel to visit with my wife's family tomorrow. I received my copy of The Immortal. Looking forward to diving into this one when I have some time. So glad it arrived under my tree.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Wow I haven't visited the forum in awhile. Had no idea this was released. I also watched the show around 1996 on SciFi. Another in the "Fugitive" / "Incredible Hulk" chain. I really enjoyed the episodes I watched. I'll have to pick this one up.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
The episode "The Return" had a slew of familiar faces, including the ubiquitous Harry Townes, gravelly voiced Richard Ward, series regular Don Knight at his oily best, Ford Rainey as yet another sheriff, occasional Perry Mason judge John Gallaudet, and Ted Knight of MTM Show fame. Martine Bartlett and Marlene Clark also guest-starred. Another actor appeared, William "Billy" Benedict, as a poker player. I think I'm watching too much classic TV--I'm starting to recognize Mr. Benedict, who's usually buried deep in the credits if he's credited at all.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
It was sad to come to the end of the series, but the final episode, "Brother's Keeper," was a key one in the quest of Christopher George's Ben Richards.

There was a change in producers from Howie Horwitz to Richard Caffey for two episodes starting with "The Return," before Horwitz returned for the final two episodes. Caffey's brother, Michael, directed three of the series' episodes.

In the third episode from the end, George introduces Bruce Dern to some hogs. The last two episodes had a slightly modified main title. The next-to-last episode guest-starred Sal Mineo and Paul Picerni. Picerni's brother, Charlie, is an uncredited "henchman" in the final episode who takes a few punches in a fight with our hero.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
It was sad to come to the end of the series, but the final episode, "Brother's Keeper," was a key one in the quest of Christopher George's Ben Richards.

There was a change in producers from Howie Horwitz to Richard Caffey for two episodes starting with "The Return," before Horwitz returned for the final two episodes. Caffey's brother, Michael, directed three of the series' episodes.

In the third episode from the end, George introduces Bruce Dern to some hogs. The last two episodes had a slightly modified main title. The next-to-last episode guest-starred Sal Mineo and Paul Picerni. Picerni's brother, Charlie, is an uncredited "henchman" in the final episode who takes a few punches in a fight with our hero.
Michael Caffey is also the father of Go-Gos guitarist Charlotte Caffey.

~Ben

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My son and I viewed the pilot movie this past weekend. He was engrossed and indicates that he wants to view the series with me. I was impressed with look of the movie. Wasn't sure how it would look since so many episodes are on each disc. Looks better than how it appeared originally. Yes, I am that old. :D

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
All of the episodes after the pilot ran about 51:35 each. Can't ask for more than that. I have a 43-inch HDTV, and the show looked fine on my humble setup. The only audio issues I had were on the first disc, in which the music in 2-3 spots sounded like it was slowing down slightly for a split second, similar to the effect of someone adjusting speeds on a record player.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

The episodes were run out of production order, so Horwitz didn’t leave and return. Actually, from what I’ve read, Caffey was replaced by Horwitz. The flashback episode, To The Gods Alone, was actually filmed much earlier and meant to run at the start of the series. When it was shelved, they created the wraparound to make it fit better in the continuity.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Also, a lot of the scene in the opening titles are from those two episodes, indicating they were filmed very early on. The Return was written by Robert Specht, who wrote the pilot Movie of the Week. It’s a key episode that would have been great to lay the groundwork for Richards’ background. And it’s a fine episode.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The episodes were run out of production order, so Horwitz didn’t leave and return. Actually, from what I’ve read, Caffey was replaced by Horwitz. The flashback episode, To The Gods Alone, was actually filmed much earlier and meant to run at the start of the series. When it was shelved, they created the wraparound to make it fit better in the continuity.
I have noticed that Kenyon Hopkins was the music supervisor on all these 15 episodes; Leith Stevens, who died on July 23, 1970, was only music supervisor on the 1969 TV movie pilot. I know, Stevens' credit is limited throughout the 1970-71 TV season: he only supervised music on The Brady Bunch for two episodes, oversaw the music for four episodes of The Odd Couple, and three each of Mission: Impossible and Mannix.

~Ben

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The Return was written by Robert Specht, who wrote the pilot Movie of the Week. It’s a key episode that would have been great to lay the groundwork for Richards’ background.
I just got my set and watched The Immortal pilot yesterday. What do fans who have seen the show recommend? Air date or production order? Does it make a difference, like it does in The Prisoner? Or is it a good experience either way?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just got my set and watched The Immortal pilot yesterday. What do fans who have seen the show recommend? Air date or production order? Does it make a difference, like it does in The Prisoner? Or is it a good experience either way?

It doesn’t make a difference, really. And does anyone really know the production order?

Take it in airdate order and enjoy

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Thanks Scott. I'll take them as they come on the disc.
And does anyone really know the production order?
The production code is on many episodes of that period in the end credits. Some studios do it more than others. I don't think Paramount ever did back then. But I can look at the end of an episode of Hawaii Five-0 and tell where in the season a show was produced from the last screen in the end credits.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Finally getting around to viewing some of these. An excess of Christmas gifts. Looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with Mr. Ben Richards.

Ep. 2 - Sylvia

When Ben realizes that his fiancee is now engaged to another man, his attendance at their engagement party arouses the suspicion of the wealthy and devious Arthur Maitland.

Carol Lynley (Poseidon Adventure, Immortal Pilot), Glenn Corbett (Shenendoah, Route 66, Star Trek), Don Knight (Swamp Thing), Sherry Jackson (Star Trek), David Brian

This episode seems to be a conclusion of sorts to the Pilot. We now have a new wealthy industrialist named Arthur Maitland not Jordan Braddock who also has heard of Ben Richards and has the same goal (keeping Richards on a short leash). To accomplish this, he has his own bulldog in the guise of Fletcher to be the one chasing Richards. I assume this was due to the cost of Barry Sullivan, Jessica Walter and Ralph Bellamy for series television.

We see Ben discover that his longtime girlfriend (who he left for her safety) is now engaged to a wealthy playboy. As such he needs to contact her. In so doing, he crosses paths with Maitland and Fletcher. The chase begins again with the same ending. No possible future as it would put Sylvia in too much danger.

The episode just seems to tread water and retreads ground already covered in the pilot. Not a bad episode, just not a compelling one. I do feel compelled to say that the best addition is the character of Fletcher. I like his all out relentless pursuit of Richards (reminiscent of Gerard after Kimble).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.