What's new

THE GREY FOX where is the dvd? (1 Viewer)

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator
Zoetrope has released a good deal of their catalog, but this subtle, Canadian Western has yet to be released. Anybody hear anything? EHHHHH?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
What makes you think that Zoetrope own the film? It was produced by Mercury Pictures - their one and only film production. United Artists Classics (a subsiduary of United Artists?) distributed the film theatrically in the USA in 1983. Amazon list Anchor Bay as the VHS distributor (January, 2002). Why would Anchor release the film on VHS, but not on DVD? Even in 2001, they had their act together - more so than today, in my personal opinion.

Phillip Borsos was a superb filmmaker. Sadly, he died in 1995, aged 41, from leukemia. His 1979 short film documentary, Nails is a masterclass in tight photography and editing within the idiom. The Grey Fox is one of the best latter-day, unconventional Westerns, features a great performance from Richard Farnsworth and was beautfully shot by Frank Tidy (Ridley Scott's sublime 1977 film, The Duellists). The Mean Season (1985), probably his most famous film, is not his best, but is still very well made and features a chilling performance by the late Richard Jordan. One Magic Christmas (1985) is one of the best in the Christmas sub-genre, with beautiful performances by Harry Dean Stanton and Mary Steenburgen and once again, beautifully shot by Frank Tidy. And there is the much-troubled, Bethune: The Making of a Hero (1990), a biopic of the legendary Canadian doctor, Norman Bethune, with Donald Sutherland (who had played Bethune before in a 1977 TV movie biopic) adapted by Ted Allan from his own novel, which I'd love to finally see.

I'd love to see The Grey Fox on DVD, but it may be that there are rights difficulties.

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator
American Zoetrope have it listed on their website as one of their films. But, man I would love to see this film get a nice dvd release.thanks for all the information.

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator
The Grey Fox is one of the very few films to feature the wonderful Richard Farnsworth in the leading role. He is truly magnificent in this film. The beautiful BC and WA scenery adds to the superb pacing and direction of this very well written film. It may not be that well known, but it's a real gem. This is my number one most wanted DVD, even above African Queen.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Just because Zoetrope lists the film on their website does not necessarily mean that they own or control the title. A look at the list shows many movies where they perhaps are involved but another studio, major or minor, actually owns the film itself.

That being said, it is quite possible they may have the video rights on this one, since its initial VHS release was not handled by MGM/UA but by Media, signaling a third-party sale on their behalf. In which case, I would try petitioning Paramount, as they seem to have quietly picked up DVD rights to some Zoetrope productions of the same era like HAMMETT and THE ESCAPE ARTIST.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
I also have been wanting this to be released on DVD. Such a wonderful, understated film, with yet another terrific perfomance by Richard Farnsworth. One of the longest awaited films on my own personal DVD wishlist.

I wasn't aware that Phil Borsos had passed away. I had lost track of his career after the 1980's. Very sad to hear that.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
Bill: "Do you believe me, Kate?"

Kate: "I believe in you."

Gorgeous film, it was the first time I ever saw Richard Farnsworth. His last appearance was in The Straight Story. That old stunt man was a pretty fair actor.

This is one of the movies I resolutely hope to see on DVD eventually.

floyd1

Auditioning
Real Name
Floyd Stookey
After the director died, the rights were tied up with his estate.

A few years ago, the estate finally was cleared and the producers were able to negotiate for the release of the film on disk.

Unfortunately, as of this posting, no deal has been struck regarding the release of the film.

According to one of the producers, they were going to release it through the original distributor, which was Heron Communications (the owners of Media Entertainment, who released it on VHS), but Heron has been out of business for years.

We're still waiting...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks