What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have no idea where I first heard it, just that I've known it almost my whole life and it's a favorite.
I know it from the Cohan biopic Yankee Doodle Dandy, but it think it was originally written for Cohan's musical 45 Minutes from Broadway.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I know it from the Cohan biopic Yankee Doodle Dandy, but it think it was originally written for Cohan's musical 45 Minutes from Broadway.
Yes, it was originally written for that musical and was written for his daughter (whose middle name was Mary, as was her mother's).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A shiny, happy, poppy "Merry Christmas" to all of HTF's music lovers.
Yes, even to those for whom shiny pop is not your thing. :D

PS - Try and ignore the weird, acid-trip video. :laugh:

And here's another, less EDM.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I listened to these a few days ago... had to process them a bit

Brandi Carlile, "The Story" - My first impression was that this sounds rather generic. Like she's trying to channel Bonnie Raitt or other "blues" style singers. I got the same on a 2nd listen. It's not bad, just not unique enough to make me sit up and take notice.

Jewel, "Love Me Just Leave Me Alone" - I mostly know of Jewel from her first release. I still listen to that one on occasion. The slow start that built to a kind of rocker(? - really couldn't decide if it was rock or country) was nice but it, too, wound up being rather generic. I *did* like it better than the Brandi Carlile track. Still... the girl has talent... lots of it...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Here are a couple female singers and some decent songs from them circa 2006:

Cowboy Junkies, "Fuck I Hate the Cold" - Nice little ditty. But the tag line really doesn't fit the rest of the lyrics that much unless it's mental cold. In spite of that I fully agree with the sentiment...

Charlotte Gainsbourg, "The Songs That We Sing" - I like this one and it asks a question that, I think, all performers have about their audiences.

Brandi Carlile, "The Story" - I didn't like this one as much as the one from Gainsbourg. It's OK but kind of generic and I don't much care for her voice.

I listened to these a few days ago... had to process them a bit

Brandi Carlile, "The Story" - My first impression was that this sounds rather generic. Like she's trying to channel Bonnie Raitt or other "blues" style singers. I got the same on a 2nd listen. It's not bad, just not unique enough to make me sit up and take notice.
Staying consistent :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
And it's pretty bad that I absolutely don't remember that first listen either!! :laugh:

I have a similar issue in regard to not remembering music (or tv shows/movies), which I don't have any emotional/nostalgic attachment to.

If I'm not familiar with a piece of music and/or it doesn't register any memory recall for me, it will be as if I am listening to it again with fresh ears. I've found that when I listen to music with "fresh ears", I'm thinking/analyzing it from the perspective of a musicologist and not necessarily "enjoying" it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Hmmm... I missed a few...

Peter Gabriel, "Secret World" - In all fairness I'm not much of a fan of Peter Gabriel so... It's not "bad" but nothing that grabs me enough to seek out on its own. It's pleasant but not that dissimilar to dozens of other pop songs from that era. I liked it better before his "signature" vocal sound came out in the back half.

Willie Nelson, "It's Not for me to Understand" - I like much of Willie's work. This one's just a bit *too* much a traditional/cliche'/predictable type country/religious song for my taste.

Alison Kraus & Union Station, "It Doesn't Matter" - This one's very nice and a bit melancholy - I kind of go for those type of songs. I also like the album this one's from.

Fiona Apple, "Extraordinary Machine" - This is just a fun, quirky, little ditty. I'm often a sucker for these types of songs. It's different - not what you'd expect - though when she hits her upper register it kind of cuts right through me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks