What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Musicians at this level don't just play the notes, they connect with them. The movement isn't intended to draw attention, it's an expression of passion for the material. Like all forms of personal expression it can vary widely between individuals.
I was actually surprised by the comment you're responding to here. One of my favorite aspects of a live orchestra performance is the movement of the musicians. It really adds to the experience.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I was actually surprised by the comment you're responding to here. One of my favorite aspects of a live orchestra performance is the movement of the musicians. It really adds to the experience.
I've seen many orchestras in concert but have *never* seen the members gyrating like some of those in this orchestra. Yes, there'll be *some* movement, and it's usually rather restrained and often depends on if they're soloing. You need to watch that clarinet player (she's next to a bassoonist) and one of the floutists and oboists (the two in question sit beside each other). They get rather wild - especially that clarinet player.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You need to watch that clarinet player (she's next to a bassoonist) and one of the floutists and oboists (the two in question sit beside each other). They get rather wild - especially that clarinet player.
Yep. Like you I noticed it the first time around and, yes, it was a bit extreme for the material and also compared to the rest of the performers. Still, I simply attributed it to her personal style. Personally I was never expressive in that way, preferring to confine my passion to my brain when I played.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've seen many orchestras in concert but have *never* seen the members gyrating like some of those in this orchestra. Yes, there'll be *some* movement, and it's usually rather restrained and often depends on if they're soloing. You need to watch that clarinet player (she's next to a bassoonist) and one of the floutists and oboists (the two in question sit beside each other). They get rather wild - especially that clarinet player.
What about Glenn Gould? I have recordings where you can hear Georg Solti groaning. Just sayin’.

Sorry, I try not to be argumentative, but almost always fail miserably.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Kim André Arnesen - MAGNIFICAT - Nidarosdomens jentekor & TrondheimSolistene

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Kim André Arnesen - MAGNIFICAT - Nidarosdomens jentekor & TrondheimSolistene - Very nice.

I love singing in places like this because of the acoustics.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Kim André Arnesen - MAGNIFICAT - Nidarosdomens jentekor & TrondheimSolistene

I enjoyed the orchestral portion very much but found the lead vocals a bit too "operatic" for my taste. I realize this is likely more a function of the material than the vocalist but still...

On a technical note, I looked but could not see a single microphone on any performer, including the vocalists. I also saw no mixing console. With the quality being what it was it's difficult to believe this was recorded live.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I enjoyed the orchestral portion very much but found the lead vocals a bit too "operatic" for my taste. I realize this is likely more a function of the material than the vocalist but still...

On a technical note, I looked but could not see a single microphone on any performer, including the vocalists. I also saw no mixing console. With the quality being what it was it's difficult to believe this was recorded live.
I enjoy it most once the choir comes in.

Regarding your second comment, it's not close mic. At the beginning of the video you can see an elaborate mic setup on a tall stand. That's why the soloist is standing on a table. To give her some separation from the rest.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Being in a church with such good acoustics you don't need mics on top of everyone. Doing so would also somewhat negate what the natural acoustics of such a venue provides, plus highly directional mics for soloists work quite well for this type of setup.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Dick Hyman - Them There Eyes

This is the sort of tune I would expect to hear in an old school Jazz club or such. I could definitely enjoy it more as a Live performance. As a recording it's a bit dull for me although I did enjoy the sax.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’ll just say that I think Dick Hyman is the greatest Jazz pianist of all time.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Dick Hyman & Ralph Sutton, "All Of Me" - This one was OK, but I don't particularly care for the song and this rendition kind of fell flat for me. It sounds more like a honky-tonk/ragtime song here.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Disturbed, "Shout 2000" (Tears for Fears cover) - I kind of like this one (I'm not that fond of their "Sounds of Silence" cover). It removes that "80s sound" from the track and that's a good thing...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Disturbed, "Shout 2000" (Tears for Fears cover) - I kind of like this one (I'm not that fond of their "Sounds of Silence" cover). It removes that "80s sound" from the track and that's a good thing...
I really wasn't expecting anyone to like this. It's stuck in my head, though. They also recorded Land of Confusion (Genesis) and it's weird how much it sounds like the original, while being a lot harder.

Their singer is surprisingly talented for being in such a gritty metal band.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm definitely not a fan of Disturbed
They're growing on me. I knew Down With the Sickness but didn't know who they were. I got their five studio albums from HDTracks a couple weeks ago and give them a spin once in a while. They appeal to something dark in my psyche.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks