What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just thought this might be interesting, though Howie probably already knows them both. Not new to me either, but might be to others.

I just realized... less time elapsed between the original and SD's cover than has elapsed between SD's cover and now. Welcome to feeling old.

Duke Ellington - East St. Louis Toodle-OO

And Steely Dan's cover almost 50 years later.

Steely Dan - East St. Louis Toodle-OO

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I discovered Ellington's original due to Steely Dan covering it. I like 'em both quite well. Pretzel Logic is a favorite album (OK... I really, really, like *all* of Steely Dan's output and it's quite hard to select a favorite and will often just play through them all when I'm in a Steely Dan mood).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
1642771554548.png

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I just thought this might be interesting, though Howie probably already knows them both. Not new to me either, but might be to others.

I just realized... less time elapsed between the original and SD's cover than has elapsed between SD's cover and now. Welcome to feeling old.

Duke Ellington - East St. Louis Toodle-OO

And Steely Dan's cover almost 50 years later.

Steely Dan - East St. Louis Toodle-OO

I much prefer the cover in this case although I immensely respect and admire the original for what it is. Not sure what they mean by "The Jungle sound," in this context, but...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Iron Maiden, "Strange World" - Not bad but still rather generic metal ballad type stuff. I think I'd like the studio version better. The live was a bit too "echo" sounding for my tastes.

Skid Row, "Quicksand Jesus" - More generic/cliche metal ballad stuff. Had I heard this and "Strange World" directly back to back I don't know that I've have noticed when one ended and the other began. They're in the same key and tempo.

Freakstorm, "Shot Down In Flames" - It's an OK version, and the singer does a good job, but I'll take the AC/DC original over this any day. It's just hard to do better than Bon Scott and Angus Young on this one.

AC/DC - "Shot Down in Flames":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's one of my all-time-favorite songs from Simon & Garfunkel.

Simon & Garfunkel - "America":

It's also the inspiration for one of my favorite remakes.

Yes - "America" (listen closely to the bass line at 1:45 and you'll hear Chris Squire play the melody of "America" from the musical "West Side Story"):

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This afternoon I watched The Pajama Game, one of my favorite musicals. Here are a couple of favorite songs from that one (these are the original Broadway play versions though are sung by the same performers as in the film).

John Raitt - "Hey There" (did you know his daughter is Bonny Raitt?):

Carol Haney - "Hernando's Hideaway":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And another pair of original and favorite remake. This time from M*A*S*H, the movie.

Johnny Mandel - "Suicide is Painless":

Ahmad Jamal - "Theme from M*A*S*H (Suicide is Painless)":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
"Suicide is Painless" is one of the "AFI Top 100" film songs. Here are a few more I really enjoy from that list:

"The Shadow of Your Smile" (From The Sandpiper):

Dooley Wilson (aka Sam) - "As Time Goes By" (from Casablanca):

Audrey Hepburn - "Moon River" (from Breakfast at Tiffany's - Mancini wrote this for Hepburn):

Fred Astaire - "Cheek to Cheek" (from Top Hat - the clip incorrectly calls the song "Heaven"):

"Springtime for Hitler" (from The Producers 1968):

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Here's one of my all-time-favorite songs from Simon & Garfunkel.

Simon & Garfunkel - "America":

It's also the inspiration for one of my favorite remakes.

For some reason, I never really got into Simon & Garfunkel.

I listen more to Paul Simon's solo stuff:

Late In The Evening

Kodachrome

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Paul Simon is an incredibly gifted song writer. I prefer his earlier work (Simon & Garfunkel and the early solo material) over the later stuff - basically the first three solo albums (not counting/including in those three albums "The Paul Simon Songbook" which is more S&G era material, though quite interesting and pretty good - with that one it'd be four albums). After that it's mostly scattered singles I like. I believe the last single from him I truly enjoyed was "You Can Call Me Al" from "Graceland" - though as a whole I didn't much care for that album.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's a group that's gotten missed so far... They had a few really big hits in the early 90s but then kind of faded (at least I didn't hear much more about them). Some of their material is, essentially, dance style music but with a nice, funky groove, and they have good lyrics (yeah, @John Dirk - I said lyrics!:D) - like they'd say on American Bandstand, "It has a good beat and is easy to dance to." :laugh: They also have some very tight harmonies. I only purchased their album "Funky Divas" on the strength of these three songs. Songs I still listen to. And they're quite different from each other...

En Vogue - "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)":

En Vogue - "Giving Him Something He Can Feel" (a cover of the Aretha Franklin song - they do it justice):

En Vogue - "Free Your Mind":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here are a few more female singers with some really good songs...

Meredith Brooks - "Bitch":

Sophie B. Hawkins - "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover":

Jewel - "Who Will Save Your Soul":

Roberta Flack - "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face":

Delaney & Bonnie and Friends - "Groupie (Superstar)":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And posting "Groupie (Superstar)", written by Leon Russell, who was a member of Delaney & Bonnie at the time, leads me to post a few more he's written...

Leon Russell - "A Song for You":

Leon Russell - "This Masquerade":

Leon Russell - "Delta Lady":

Leon Russell - "Tightrope":

"Tightrope" was his biggest solo hit with the other 3 being covered by many, many, other artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks