What's new

The Godfather Saga (chronological) in HD (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Its Saturday morning March 3rd and I just stumbled upon the world premiere of The Goodfather Saga in high def on AMC! Sure, it's edited for content and filled to the gills with commercial breaks but, wow, what a surprise that they actually transferred this chronological version into HD. I have to wonder if Paramount may actually release this to Blu-ray uncut at some point. I'd certainly buy it again.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
I have the Godfather-The Complete Epic on VHS; it's the first two films in chronological order. A great way to watch the series. I have the Blu Ray set, but I'd grab a reissue in chronological order in a heartbeat.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
One big hang up of the Blue Ray set,is the fact that they didn't remaster the many fine scenes that were cut out of the first two films ,looks like they finally have done some

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Sure, it's edited for content and filled to the gills with commercial breaks but, wow, what a surprise that they actually transferred this chronological version into HD.
One good thing about the Godfather is that by today's standards the movie really isn't very graphic at all. There's a lot of violence, but modern TV shows today show have been far more graphic at times. Even most of the time the language isn't even graphic. So, the movie doesn't suffer much on television. Still, some of the editing choices can seem perplexing. For example, they show the Horse's Head scene without any edits. The shot to Solozzo's head remained intact, but young Vito killing Fanucci and Ciccio are edited. Sonny's death is shown pretty mostly intact, but the cut the part when they put the final shots into him when he is on the ground. What I don't get is why a cable station just can't run an uncut version. Actually now that I recall, it might have been AMC back before they went "commercial" that did show an uncut version, and I remember it kind of being sort of a big deal at the time (I remember reading newspaper articles about how AMC was planning on showing The Godfather uncut. I guess, regarding the Saga all they had was a TV edit version, but still it would be nice to get a true, uncut version of the Saga.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
well if they ever do a new Blue Ray set of this,I sure hope it isn't the Trilogy home video ,which included some footage not in the Saga but lelf out too much for my taste, there must be at least 40 edits alone for Godfather one, Plus maybe they can fix that scene before the Horses Head in the saga ,this would require re editting the flash forward scenes involving Sollazzo arriving at don's office meeting ,which is paced in the scene with the Don after the horses head scene in Godfather I .The way it is in the Saga doesn't make sense ,since the scene that's in Godfather I after the horses head is clearly cut from that scene(or the other way around) ,This might not be possible to fix,so in that case they might have leave it off Plus the few things not in the saga could be added Anyway its great having the saga footage for the first time ,16x9 HD and looking great,even with logos and Banners

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Cash money burns a hole in my pocket for The Godfather Saga on Blu-ray. The HD broadcast sounds promising. I envy those of you who are equipped with HD reception that you are able to see this masterpiece of masterpieces. Paramount, roll out the Blu-ray. Bring it on.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I looked at the guide for that and didn't see any mention of the chrono version so didn't bother, now I am very unhappy. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks