What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: The Godfather Trilogy (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (including gift set and reissues) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s probably not a coincidence. Facebook leaves a lot of cookies on your device to keep an eye on what you’re searching for/typing about, and then will show you similar content. Since you spent some time talking about it yesterday, FB probably noticed and sent you something similar.

You should’ve seen the ads and suggested posts I got when I was shopping for an engagement ring. It probably took a year before rings disappeared from ads I saw.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That’s not an add.
I posted that to my own page on this date in 2016.

It’s on the this date memories thing they do.
I see that every year on this date.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those that didn't pre-order from DD, they did jack up the pricing for both 4K boxset releases.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not 4K equipped yet and I’ll be curious to see how the new BD version compares to the old BD version for parts 1 and 2. I didn’t have any complaints about technical quality on the previous release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So as I read it, this is a new restoration.

Was RAH part of it?
If read the press release, it's obvious a new restoration took place. As to RAH's involvement, they didn't mention his name in in regard to this latest restoration as they used his 2007 restoration as a blueprint to this latest work.

"Every effort was made to create the finest possible presentation for today’s audiences who can watch the films using technology that has advanced dramatically since 2007 when the last restoration was completed by eminent film historian and preservationist Robert Harris. Using that work as a blueprint, the team spent thousands of hours to ensure that every frame was evaluated to create the most pristine presentation while remaining true to the original look and feel of the films.

The monumental effort included the following:

• Over 300 cartons of film were scrutinized to find the best possible resolution for every frame of all three films.
  • Over 4,000 hours were spent repairing film stains, tears, and other anomalies in the negatives.
  • Over 1,000 hours were spent on rigorous color correction to ensure the high dynamic range tools were respectful of the original vision of Coppola and cinematographer Gordon Willis.
  • In addition to the 5.1 audio approved by Walter Murch in 2007, the original mono tracks on The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II have been restored.
  • All work was overseen by Coppola."

WillG

Senior HTF Member
And has deleted footage we haven't seen elsewhere. Starting around 2 minutes into this, you'll see additional Godfather Part II material playing under the credits, including Connie taking care of an older Michael. An 18 year old Anthony is supposed to show up here. At 3:21 you can see Michael and Anthony walking together. This was the scripted ending to Part II.

And while going down that rabbit hole, I found this alternate "Last time on The Godfather" opening to Part III which aired on AMC. It has a few outtakes of older Michael sitting around.

Hmmm, not sure I ever saw that, though the extra footage of Connie tending to Michael sort of undercuts the idea that by the end of Part II, Michael has lost his family and is pretty much alone

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Actually, after seeing early tests, I’m waiting to see the final result before making comments.
Thanks for posting. In that case I will wait until I preorder anything as I saw your work (I &II) at Radio City just a few years ago projected and it was so beautiful I’ll never forget it. It was if I was at both of their premieres. Of course the director and cast discussion afterwards was beyond fantastic too. Plus I have a feeling HDR could actually do more harm than good as it’s such a dimly lit film (especially I) but then again if Coppola is approving this…..

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
1642543618694.png

2016 look at all those cans that make up these classics

MarkantonyII

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Actually, after seeing early tests, I’m waiting to see the final result before making comments.
Mr Harris, has 15 years of tech advances really going to noticeably improve an already pretty-much perfect 4K restoration of I&II?

Is there something in particular they are hoping to fix, given all the time and expense?

All the best

M

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
If read the press release, it's obvious a new restoration took place. As to RAH's involvement, they didn't mention his name in in regard to this latest restoration as they used his 2007 restoration as a blueprint to this latest work.

"Every effort was made to create the finest possible presentation for today’s audiences who can watch the films using technology that has advanced dramatically since 2007 when the last restoration was completed by eminent film historian and preservationist Robert Harris. Using that work as a blueprint, the team spent thousands of hours to ensure that every frame was evaluated to create the most pristine presentation while remaining true to the original look and feel of the films.

The monumental effort included the following:

• Over 300 cartons of film were scrutinized to find the best possible resolution for every frame of all three films.
  • Over 4,000 hours were spent repairing film stains, tears, and other anomalies in the negatives.
  • Over 1,000 hours were spent on rigorous color correction to ensure the high dynamic range tools were respectful of the original vision of Coppola and cinematographer Gordon Willis.
  • In addition to the 5.1 audio approved by Walter Murch in 2007, the original mono tracks on The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II have been restored.
  • All work was overseen by Coppola."

I found the press release wording a bit interesting and how RAH's name was used.

I'm a bit (pleasantly) surprised they went back to the ON.

Hopefully this turns out great.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
That press release is pretty baffling considering everything RAH has said about the state of the negative for Godfather Part I.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr Harris, has 15 years of tech advances really going to noticeably improve an already pretty-much perfect 4K restoration of I&II?

Is there something in particular they are hoping to fix, given all the time and expense?

All the best

M
Negative.

There is nothing to fix.

From my perspective, it’s nice to see a 16bit harvest as an archival element, but presuming that my (Mr. Willis’) color is matched, there would not be much of a difference between these 4k files and those from 2007.

Should there be a small uptick in resolution in 4k? Hopefully, yes.

These files should be matched against my DCP, not the Blu-ray master, which was a down-Rez.

My expectation is that it should be lovely, and hopefully untainted by grain reduction, which was verboten by Mr. Willis - and we agreed.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Negative.

There is nothing to fix.

From my perspective, it’s nice to see a 16bit harvest as an archival element, but presuming that my (Mr. Willis’) color is matched, there would not be much of a difference between these 4k files and those from 2007.

Should there be a small uptick in resolution in 4k? Hopefully, yes.

These files should be matched against my DCP, not the Blu-ray master, which was a down-Rez.

My expectation is that it should be lovely, and hopefully untainted by grain reduction, which was verboten by Mr. Willis - and we agreed.

Hopefully very 'tasteful' HDR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks