What's new

The Fugitive: Season Four, Volume 1 (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by shadyguy

I have never seen this show !

One question I have about any release of Quinn Martin's THE F.B.I. is in regard to the opening theme. The show had a longtime sponsorship by the Ford Motor Company, whose relationship with the show was so tight that the announcement of said sponsorship was contained in the opening titles.

View this edited version that appears in syndication:

You can hear the edit point in the music at the 0:26 mark.

Just before the announcer (Hank Simms) says "THE F.B.I., a Quinn Martin/Warner Brothers Production", the unedited version would have him say, "The Ford Motor Company is proud to bring you, THE F.B.I., a Quinn Martin/Warner Brothers Production."

Could the unedited openings be one of the extras? Will those Ford sponsorships remain? Let's wait and see.

By the way, THE F.B.I. was a pretty good series and one that our family watched each week. I personally was intrigued by seeing many of the same guest stars that I'd see on THE FUGITIVE and THE INVADERS each week - the general Quinn Martin stable of quality actors.

Harry

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Still waiting for my copy to ship from Amazon. It's been in the "preparing your item for shipment" phase for a few days!

::grumble::

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Tom Skerrit sure plays a good local wannabe deputy douchebag in episode 6, "Joshua's Kingdom." But he cleaned up nicely by the time he starred in Picket Fences decades later. It seems like he's been around forever (Not to mention, the film M*A*S*H). The Utah license plates were very prominent in this tale about some awfully strict (and potentially fatal) religious intransigence. I love how Kimble's speech near the end (no spoiler) where he basically suggests, "Hey, what if I my presence here WAS God's will." Pretty good comeback, Kimble. Good episode.

And here's Kim Darby about three years before True Grit.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic

Tom Skerrit sure plays a good local wannabe deputy douchebag in episode 6, "Joshua's Kingdom." But he cleaned up nicely by the time he starred in Picket Fences decades later. It seems like he's been around forever (Not to mention, the film M*A*S*H). The Utah license plates were very prominent in this tale about some awfully strict (and potentially fatal) religious intransigence. I love how Kimble's speech near the end (no spoiler) where he basically suggests, "Hey, what if I my presence here WAS God's will." Pretty good comeback, Kimble. Good episode.

And here's Kim Darby about three years before True Grit.

I just finished watching "Joshua's Kingdom" and the guest cast was indeed outstanding. Harry Townes playing the righteous father of Kim Darby, Tom Skerritt as the sleazy former deputy, John Milford as the Sheriff, and Vaughn Taylor playing the town pharmacist.

Tom Skerritt must have also filmed his episode of THE TIME TUNNEL ("The Death Trap") around this same time. This FUGITIVE episode aired 10/18/66, while THE TIME TUNNEL episode aired just 45 days later on 12/02/66.

Harry

Clugul

Agent
Real Name
Joyce
You can see the color quality on the Season 4 DVD via this YouTube link (it's a "homemade trailer" posted by a fan -- as he notes, his audio is "a little funky" but at least you get the picture:

http://is.gd/gWHDp

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Harry-N

Tom Skerritt must have also filmed his episode of THE TIME TUNNEL ("The Death Trap") around this same time. This FUGITIVE episode aired 10/18/66, while THE TIME TUNNEL episode aired just 45 days later on 12/02/66.

Harry

THE FUGITIVE episode was 6th produced (4756) and aired 6th for the season,and THE TIME TUNNEL episode was 13th Produced.(9613) and aired 12th.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
About this same time, Tom Skerrit also turns in a memorable performance in the COMBAT! final season episode "The Gantlet" (maybe meant to be the "Gauntlet"?) aired Feb. 7, 1967. For me, one of the best of the color episodes...I was allways impressed by Vic Morrow's final scene in that episode...

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Tom Skerritt was a busy man in the fall of 1966, also turning in performances in October 1966 on THE FBI, both October AND December 1966 episodes of GUNSMOKE, an October 1966 episode of DEATH VALLEY DAYS, and a January 1967-airing episode of 12 O'CLOCK HIGH.

Harry

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
"Second Sight," ... not such a great episode. The requisite 'hero goes blind for an episode' bit. The highlight was the TOL music. I don't know what acting philosophy Janssen subscribed to, but keeping your eyes closed the entire time to play a blinded man stumbling around was almost laughable. That's some method. When he wakes up in the hospital after the accident and tells the doctor, "I can't see," I found myself yelling back to the television, "Well, then open your damned eyes!"

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic

"Second Sight," ... not such a great episode. The requisite 'hero goes blind for an episode' bit. The highlight was the TOL music. I don't know what acting philosophy Janssen subscribed to, but keeping your eyes closed the entire time to play a blinded man stumbling around was almost laughable. That's some method. When he wakes up in the hospital after the accident and tells the doctor, "I can't see," I found myself yelling back to the television, "Well, then open your damned eyes!"

LOL..this reminded me of a 3 Stooges bit where Curley yells out: "I can't see! I can't see!" Moe:"What's wrong kid?" Curley:"I got my eyes closed! NYUK NYUK NYUK!"

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by phil*

LOL..this reminded me of a 3 Stooges bit where Curley yells out: "I can't see! I can't see!" Moe:"What's wrong kid?" Curley:"I got my eyes closed! NYUK NYUK NYUK!"

[/QUOTE]

That bothered me too, but then the doctor had told him to keep them shut to avoid further damage. Still looked goofy, though.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
So has anyone watched the entire S4V1 yet and what would you rate it on a scale of 1-10 !!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

So has anyone watched the entire S4V1 yet and what would you rate it on a scale of 1-10 !!

Not me. I've been pacing at about one episode per day. I took a break from that yesterday and might again today, getting beck to the series again tomorrow. I'm through "Second Sight" with "Wine Is A Traitor" up next.

So far, I haven't detected any music substititions except for source music (radios, music playing in a hifi show, bar ambience, etc.) and none were outrageous or too loud. The color picture is magnificent, even if the stories are just on the so-so side.

Harry

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
As Harry just said, the picture is wonderful and so is the sound. It's like we're watching these episodes for the first time ever, they're so clear and well presented. If only the same effort had been made on seasons two and three, we would all be happy campers.

Yes, the stories are weaker, sometimes much weaker, but "Joshua's Kingdom" would have worked in an earlier season and, I'll go on record and say I like "Second Sight."

Steve Lecher

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Mine finally arrived yesterday so I haven't had a chance to watch yet. (Anyone else think Amazon's new Ensenda shipping system isn't up to par?)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I like "Second Sight" too, apparently more than others. Ed Robertson dismisses the episode in his book, and I've seen criticism of it here, but as far as I'm concerned it's not that bad.

It's got the one-armed man in it, and he's pretty menacing too. Plus he actually uses his brain for a change instead of just his brawn.

It's got the irony of Kimble not being able to see the one-armed man right in front of him, and the, shall we say, "highly charged" adventure in the electrical substation. Plus I thought Tim Considine was pretty credible as an annoying dweeb.

I've always had trouble with "Wine Is A Traitor", and yesterday was no exception. For some reason, I can't stay awake on that one. I've tried before with the old VHS version I have and no soap. I still can't tell you how it ends. What's frustrating is that I like Roy Thinnes, and having him do a turn on THE FUGITIVE just before he was cast in Quinn Martin's THE INVADERS should make the episode a slam-dunk for me, but somehow, I just doze off... ZZZzzz

Harry

Fredbloggs

Auditioning
Real Name
Winifred

Oh dear. I can't even see series 2 available in the UK yet.

Wonder if this is because of the hoo ha over the music in the USA! Maybe we'll never get the full series.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Originally Posted by Harry-N
What's frustrating is that I like Roy Thinnes, and having him do a turn on THE FUGITIVE just before he was cast in Quinn Martin's THE INVADERS should make the episode a slam-dunk for me, but somehow, I just doze off... ZZZzzz

Harry

ZZZZZZZ...great episode on "The Outer Limits" scored by Dominic Frontiere...lol

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, I have gone through the set so I hope it's not six months before we get V2! (or the even longer delay it took to get V2 of S5 of Perry Mason).

Not one note of Heyes anywhere as I said.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
"Wine is a Traitor" ... where else can you find a episode that combines Caesar Chavez leanings, The Outer Limits music, the star of The Invaders as a bad guy, and "The Fugitive." I didn't mind this episode so much, except for Roy Thinnes shirt. If you're going to be doing something you shouldn't be doing and don't want to be seen doing it, it's not a great idea to wear a red bull's cape Italian tablecloth shirt. And with a title like "Wine is a Traitor," shouldn't the story be about getting drunk and spilling your guts, or sending an impulsive email or calling an ex? Just asking. [/url]

I've always had trouble with "Wine Is A Traitor", and yesterday was no exception. For some reason, I can't stay awake on that one. I've tried before with the old VHS version I have and no soap. I still can't tell you how it ends. What's frustrating is that I like Roy Thinnes, and having him do a turn on THE FUGITIVE just before he was cast in Quinn Martin's THE INVADERS should make the episode a slam-dunk for me, but somehow, I just doze off... ZZZzzz

Harry

[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks