What's new

The Fugitive: Season Four, Volume 1 (1 Viewer)

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Originally Posted by Jack P

Eight episodes through, no Heyes music replacement. Am also hearing now some very familiar "Outer Limits" cues like "The Man Who Was Never Born" which was probably my favorite piece of OL music. You can also hear the middle part of the S1 OL Main Title at various points. Frankly, this music better suits the color shows because the older TZ music I think was more appropriate for B/W shows.

Yes, "The Man Who Was Never Born" had outstanding music and the storyline was first rate. The makeup used on Martin Landau was quite convincing as well,except for the fact that he always had shiny,straight white teeth. Apparently the microbe that Bertram Cabot,Jr. mutated had no effect on humans' teeth.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Originally Posted by Jack P

One has to remember that cheapness was what guided "The Fugitive" from the get-go as far as music was concerned. Almost every other show of the day would commission a dozen or so fresh scores per season but "Fugitive", after getting Rugolo to compose 40 minutes of basically library cues (none of which were done in reference to specific scenes from the pilot) was just going the canned approach from that point on with old cues from other shows. Rugolo's contributions to the series in effect ended before the show got on the air.

Actually "Rugolo composed and orchestrated somewhere between 75 and 90 minutes of music for the series." This according to the liner notes to the CD soundtrack released on Silva Screen Records.

"Quinn Martin brought in John Elizalde - veteran music editor and post production supervisor on several series....to oversee the music, developing an entire library of dramatic cues designed to meet a variety of needs as the series progressed.

Rugolo worked solely from a reading of the pilot script and Elizalde's description of the concept."

Rugolo said "I wrote a lot of variations - every possible kind of suspense. I wrote a police - style theme for Gerard, and a few love themes in case there was anything of that type. I had to imagine all kinds of things. I wrote some neutral cues, some sad cues. I wrote an awful lot of chases, because I knew he'd be running alot. Eight - second openings for each act and a lot of act endings based on the theme. All those things they used over and over."

Rugolo's compositions were taken to London and recorded there by a symphony orchestra (to save on union costs) which took four days because of Elizalde's careful planning. Elizalde said "we talked over what was necessary and how we could do slower versions, or faster, or maybe do some key changes here or there." And according to Rugolo "John made four or five cues out of one. They would make it slower, he would make one four bars and put a hold on one, repeat some things and make them longer. He did several variations." Elizalde added, "at the end of the sessions, it was really a useful package."

The music of Pete Rugolo would have never been replaced on this series. When ABC bought "The Fugitive" Roy Huggins met with Quinn Martin and made two suggestions: that David Janssen play the role of Richard Kimble, and that Peter Rugolo write the music. His contribution to the show's success cannot be over stated. It wasn't the ONLY thing that made the series work, but it was a vital element to the overall appeal of it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Shadyguy,

I thought you watched the episode eight times, which would be excessive TOL viewing, even for me.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
That was embarrassing Ockeghemn I did not think it was loading when I hit submit, so just kept hitting it !

Anyone know how to delete them ?

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
Thanks to the administrator for clearing up my error !

So did the music I heard on "The Outer Limits" ("The Form of Things Unknown"), which was very prevalent on "The Invaders" series also get used on Season 4 of The "Fugitive"

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by shadyguy the section of music from "The Forms..." where we see the dancing figurine is used prominently in THE FUGITIVE's "Second Sight". I'm not sure if the actual "INVADERS" part of that score was ever used in THE FUGITIVE. I think not.

Harry

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
Harry, If you watch the opening clip of "The Forms.." where David McCallum" is walking down the long hallway with the girl, that is the Invaders music I was speaking of !

The figurine music does sound vaguely familiar also !

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by shadyguy )

It's possible that more of this soundtrack found it's way to THE FUGITIVE - certain passages or chord progressions - than just the figurine theme, but I was referring to the fact that I don't believe the "main theme", that which we associate with THE INVADERS opening titles, ever was used on THE FUGITIVE in Season 4.

Harry

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Back to the changed dialogue. I don't believe there is any way the dialogue on this new box set is how it was on the initial broadcast. We don't know why, but the dialogue on the 1966 broadcast had to include Gerard's voice with Richard Anderson's response. If, in 1966, the dialogue was as presented here, why would it have been changed later in syndication and where would those voices have come from later? They wouldn't have contacted Barry Morse and Richard Anderson to rerecord some very trivial dialogue.

This is a mystery, but I'm sure the answer is with CBS/P and not with the original and subsequent broadcasts.

Steve Lecher

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
It could also be as simple as a damaged audio stem on the master they were working with.

Still, even in that scenario, they could have "flown-in" the line from an inferior print, rather than change it to something else.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by shadyguy

So who got credit for the musical score for The Invaders series ?

Dominic Frontiere is credited with the theme and much of the first season's music. Duane Tatro is credited with some of the second season scores. At other times, they'd track the already-composed cues rather than completely score every episode.

Harry

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Originally Posted by Harry-N

When checking out the dialog discrepancy on this fourth season set, I instinctively checked the subtitle function which confirmed what we hear on-screen. Something got me to checking out the older releases, none of which have the subtitle function, but use the CC closed captioning instead. Interesting change...

Harry

My only complaint when Season 1 came out was that there was no subtitle option. I rather subtitles over closed captions because you can't watch a DVD in progressive scanned format and view closed captions at the same time.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
My copy arrived over the weekend. I look forward to enjoying it this forthcoming holiday season. The Boondocks S3 is next.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Agree with Jim, it's good that they seem to have started with (English) subtitles again and a bit odd not to have the first three seasons feature them let alone shows released only earlier this year, but better late than never as they say.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It was very wierd watching the "10,000 Pieces of Silver" episode 5 finale with full music cues from The Outer Limits. I'm just so used to seeing some monster lurking around and getting closer and closer to those cues, not Janssen grimacing and jumping over rocks. It was like some alternate universe TV show.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

I felt similarly the first time I saw the pilot of The Invaders about two years ago.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic

It was very wierd watching the "10,000 Pieces of Silver" episode 5 finale with full music cues from The Outer Limits. I'm just so used to seeing some monster lurking around and getting closer and closer to those cues, not Janssen grimacing and jumping over rocks. It was like some alternate universe TV show.

It was a totally different experience to those of us who watched THE FUGITIVE in late 1966. It had been a full year-and-a-half since the final episode of THE OUTER LIMITS had aired (January 1965), and THAT was the conclusion of the second season with the Harry Lubin music. The last time we'd heard Dom Frontiere's scoring was back in the spring of 1964.

The passage of time was one factor - and the fact that TV episodes back then were fleeting once-or-twice-through affairs (twice if you happened to catch a rerun). While this "new" music in THE FUGITIVE might have sounded familiar to some of us, the rest probably didn't notice or couldn't place where they'd heard it before. THE OUTER LIMITS was not a big hit in syndication right away. It was an hour long. Stations that did air it tended to do so late at night around the midnight hour. With only 49 episodes in the whole series, it wasn't "stripped' on a Monday through Friday basis. No, instead if it aired in your local town, it probably aired just once per week. That didn't allow for people to become THAT familiar with the background scores of these episodes.

Plus, with THE FUGITIVE, even with the addition of the Frontiere stuff in the fourth season, the Rugolo cues and the Twilight Zone cues were still in use, grounding the show in the familiar.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks