What's new

The Flash - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Uncertain why the alternate version of The Flash waved off the save attempt on his/their mom. I suppose, or at least hope, that will be revealed in season 2. Really curious to see how the wormhole factors into everything; it certainly seems likely that Eddie will be saved in some other space/time which will prevent the elimination of Eobard. Executive Producer Andrew Kreisberg has confirmed that Tom Cavanagh will return. The question of course is in what capacity?

Great episode for Eddie, with some admirable choices by the character. Agree with Matt, that the John Wesley Shipp / Grant Gustin scene was incredibly effective. Despite some of the show's problems (which have been discussed in this thread) it was an enjoyable first season and I am looking forward to the return of The Flash.

BTW, interesting reveal on Cisco tonight; which adds some credibility to his ability to re-experience the timeline that was reset by Barry.

- Walter.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Walter Kittel said:
Executive Producer Andrew Kreisberg has confirmed that Tom Cavanagh will return. The question of course is in what capacity?
Awesome news! I truly hope it is as the real Dr. Wells. Cavanagh has such a great presence on the show and the character's essence must have informed Eobard's actions to a certain extent.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Cavanagh has such a great presence on the show and the character's essence must have informed Eobard's actions to a certain extent.

Agreed. I love the way Cavanagh delivers his lines and frankly it would be a lesser show without him.

I should have mentioned earlier that while the Shipp / Gustin moment was great, the scenes with Barry and Joe were pretty terrific as well.

- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
When you really think about it, it's interesting that the entire DC Television Universe is based around an alternate timeline from the original. It's like if the original "Star Trek" series had started some years after the events of the J.J. Abrams movie.

Given that Wells/Eobard gave Barry and team explicit instructions on how to go back in time and close the wormhole, what exactly was their motivation for building the time sphere for him? It would have made more sense to me if he'd secured the time sphere first and THEN told Barry and team how to go back in time.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the Barry of the original timeline actually is the colossal dick that Reverse Flash makes him out to be, and it was his upbringing with Joe that transformed him from a cunning and ruthless adversary to the naive and compassionate moron he is today?

Very frustrating that they ended things on a massive cliffhanger.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I had mixed feelings about the episode.

Some things worked - the scene with Barry and his dad, the Eddie 'coincidence' scene. "Excelsior". "So long, and thanks for all the fish".

What didn't work for me - the whole discussion about changing the past. Hasn't anyone (especially Cisco), seen Back To The Future II, It's A Wonderful Life, Final Destination, etc. You change something in the past and you never ever get a good result.

And the cliffhanger was too big. There's no suspense when you know there will be no lasting result. Destroy dark/moody Starling City - maybe. Damage sunny Central City - no way.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
That was a really good finale. The scenes between Barry and his Dad and Barry and his Mom were the highlights of the episode. Wasn't expecting him to not save his Mom and wasn't expecting Eddie's sacrifice. I was actually hoping RF was going to make it back to the future. I hate to think that this is the end of the RF. Does this mean that Barry's Mom isn't killed and how does Barry become the Flash if Wells/RF isn't there to help him? I wonder if the Singularity enable to time travel again, thus somehow ressurrecting both Eddie and the RF. Wouldn't be the first time he alters time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Oliver Ravencrest said:
Does this mean that Barry's Mom isn't killed and how does Barry become the Flash if Wells/RF isn't there to help him? I wonder if the Singularity enable to time travel again, thus somehow ressurrecting both Eddie and the RF. Wouldn't be the first time he alters time.

I'm wondering that, too. Since Eobard no longer exists, everything touched by him from Barry's Mom's death to the present day should reset: Mom is not killed, Dad does not go to prison, the particle accelerator is not built and there are no "meta" humans.

Of course, that would mean everyone goes back to their humdrum lives none the wiser and the show is over. So the writers will have to come up with some explanation for why the story continues with all the cast returning.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Lou Sytsma said:
Wowee! That's how you do a season finale!

And what was up with that Mercury helmet coming through the wormhole?

That belongs to Jay Garrick, The original Flash from Earth Two, the Golden Age of Comics, and member of the Justice Society of America.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
I'm wondering that, too. Since Eobard no longer exists, everything touched by him from Barry's Mom's death to the present day should reset: Mom is not killed, Dad does not go to prison, the particle accelerator is not built and there are no "meta" humans.

Of course, that would mean everyone goes back to their humdrum lives none the wiser and the show is over. So the writers will have to come up with some explanation for why the story continues with all the cast returning.

It would also mean that the circumstances that drove Eddie to kill himself no longer exist, which means the timeline should reset, which means Eddie never died, which means Eobard will someday be born, which means he'll go back and kill Barry's mother...

...perhaps that giant black hole swallowing up Central City is actually some sort of paradox effect in action.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Loved the episode! Lot's of great emotional/character moments. A great nod with Garrick's helmet! (though, how does Thawne seem to recognize it?)

Cavanaugh is coming back next year as a regular, so it will be interesting to see how/in what fashion.

As for time travel? It's always tricky, but the Flash makes it even worse! I count 3 Flash's at Barry's mom's death so far. How bad will this get? And, of course, he waves himself off...which indicates various alternate reality knowledge.

I think Cisco is Vibe, so he will be helpful in figuring out what is what in alternate realities.

And, of course, the funniest time travel paradox is the fact that as soon as Reverse Flash is erased, the entire show should be erased! If he's gone, he can't kill Barry's mom...etc, etc, can't create the Flash, etc, on down the line.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Quentin said:
Loved the episode! Lot's of great emotional/character moments. A great nod with Garrick's helmet! (though, how does Thawne seem to recognize it?)

Cavanaugh is coming back next year as a regular, so it will be interesting to see how/in what fashion.

As for time travel? It's always tricky, but the Flash makes it even worse! I count 3 Flash's at Barry's mom's death so far. How bad will this get? And, of course, he waves himself off...which indicates various alternate reality knowledge.

I think Cisco is Vibe, so he will be helpful in figuring out what is what in alternate realities.

And, of course, the funniest time travel paradox is the fact that as soon as Reverse Flash is erased, the entire show should be erased! If he's gone, he can't kill Barry's mom...etc, etc, can't create the Flash, etc, on down the line.

Thawne might recognize the helmet because he might be able to travel to parallel worlds and the past (the DC multiverse) where he encountered the JSA on Earth Two during the Golden Age. Also during Barry's run in the collider, didn't they flash a scene of Killer Frost?

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Richard V said:
Thawne might recognize the helmet because he might be able to travel to parallel worlds and the past (the DC multiverse) where he encountered the JSA on Earth Two during the Golden Age. Also during Barry's run in the collider, didn't they flash a scene of Killer Frost?

Yep! That was her, indeed. A future? An alternate line? Earth 1 or Earth 2? I guess our questions will be answered next season!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The first season was great. And that begs the question: Why the hell are they making a movie with a different actor playing a different version of the same character?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Given DC's mixed success on the big screen, I'm just as happy to keep the television universe separate. I would love for the shared television universe to have its own Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman down the road. I'm glad they're keeping the door open for a crossover with Supergirl, even though network politics mean it probably won't happen for years, if ever.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
First, that was a great episode and overall I'm quite pleased with the writing and directing. Despite my advanced knowledge of The Flash and having no real surprises for me the whole season, I really enjoyed how they handled it and made it into a live action show.

Second, I can answer most of the questions people are asking here. Some things I can't say without giving away advanced spoilers for the show. But I can tell a few of them without much harm for those that don't already know.

1. The reason The Flash did NOT save his Mother when he went back in time was because he realized at the last second this was the way things were always meant to be. If he changed this event, not only would he not grow up with Iris and her Dad, but he wouldn't become The Flash either. Rather or not the accident would occur in the future pre RF tampering with the original time line is unknown. That would mean ALL the regular people Flash saved, not just from the Super Villan Metahumans, would also die. All the fires, rescues and others would no longer be alive. This is one of the main reasons Barry knows he must say goodbye to his Mom and just show her the man that he has become.

2. There were just two ADULT Barrys in the past timeline, NOT 3. The first one was the one he was enganged in battle with RF and the other was Barry from the present going in to save his Mom AFTER his older self moved his younger self away from danger.

3. The ending I believe is setting up "Crisis", where the Flash is gone for several years, while Earth is facing near oblivion with the Black Hole/Time Rift. Several years will pass with them battling Metahumans and trying to contain the rift the best they can. This is unclear, as they can take it in another direction, but my guess is they will pick up eventually when Flash gets back, but several years on Earth will have passed since his disappearance. This acually relates to real life time and relativity of space.

4. RF will indeed be returning and my best guess is it will still be Cavanaugh playing him. There are several reasons why I believe this is true, but I can't say much without giving away more of the story.

5. The helmet that came through the rift could very well be from the Golden Age Flash. However, another possability is it belongs to Kid Flash as has been seen in some versions. It was not all in one part of the suit in some versions and was the lightning bolts on the side of his head sort of helmet like.

I'll add some more later as I can.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I was unable to watch it last night (out of town), but I just watched it. It was quite impressive, but I can't understand that they went ahead with the plan. There were just too many things that could go wrong.

With Eddie killing himself, I have no idea how they are going to explain how anything in the show is stable. There is a definite paradox which they will need to work through.

I hope that EW interview mentioned earlier has more insight.

Nice to see Vibe partially introduced.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Wasn't there a model for a new Flash's cowl on one of the shelves in Cisco's lab? The scene with him, Barry, and Ronnie?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Jeffery_H said:
Second, I can answer most of the questions people are asking here. Some things I can't say without giving away advanced spoilers for the show. But I can tell a few of them without much harm for those that don't already know.

I'd say feel free to spoil as much as you want, just use spoiler tags on the sensitive information. I am not well versed in the Flash mythology and would like to put the various pieces together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks