What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: The Flash: The Original Series (1990-1991) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
438222325_857317806433901_2487806680889220814_n.jpg

Coming to Blu-ray on June 18th from the Warner Archive Collection!
New 2024 1080p HD masters from 4K scans of the original camera negatives.

THE FLASH (1990-91)
6 BD-50 Disc Set
1088 Minutes
COLOR
16x9 1.33:1 with side mattes
DTS-HD MA 2.0 STEREO
English SDH

Cast: John Wesley Shipp, Amanda Pays, Alex Desert

Who-o-o-o-osh! The origins and exploits of the crimefighting DC Comics superhero come your way in this 22-episode live-action series, from the 1990-91 television season. John Wesley Shipp portrays Barry Allen, a police crime technologist endowed with sudden talents after a fluke lab accident. He pledges to use his new powers for good, powers that include ultra-speed reflexes and the ability to vibrate his molecules so rapidly he can pass through solid walls. Amanda Pays is medical researcher Tina McGee, who monitors Allen’s accelerated metabolism and guards his secret identity. The Tricksters, Captain Cold, the Ghost, mad inventors: Central City is rife with criminals. Now there’s a hero to keep pace with them. He’s called The Flash. And in our era of instant communications, he’s more in step with the times than ever.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I am very happy to see this as I really enjoyed the DVD collection.

I remember that CBS really put together some striking and memorable commercial spots promoting this series when it was on the air. Many of the promos were actually letterboxed to suggest the theatrical quality of the series, even though the series aired in the same full screen aspect ratio of other TV shows at the time. I would love to see these promotional spots included on a blu-ray set.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Wow! I just watched my long-ago-purchased DVD of this one a couple of months back. It's lots of fun! I'll be picking this one up - I liked it much better than the newer Flash series.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wow, I really enjoyed this when it aired and was disappointed it wasn't renewed (too expensive, probably). This should look great in HD!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
The visual effects will likely be upscaled since the show was shot on film, edited on video.

Regardless, this is a Day One purchase for me and I’m excited to see the new transfers!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wow, I really enjoyed this when it aired and was disappointed it wasn't renewed (too expensive, probably). This should look great in HD!
That, and CBS decision to put it up against NBC's Thursday night comedies that included The Cosby Show and Cheers (this was when Fox also moved The Simpsons to the same Thursday time slot, as well).

But it was an expensive show for the time. Reportedly the 2-hour pilot cost around $6 million and each regular episode around $1.5 million.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I was 14-15 when this originally aired so I was the perfect age for it, having come off summer '89 & the Keaton Batman movie. Felt like the same "universe" at the time. Taped every episode & have the DVD set. Fond memories of CBS that fall watching The Flash and E A.R.T.H. Force 😄

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Yessssssssssss! I loved this show growing up and have cherished the DVD set for a long time, so I will happily upgrade to Blu-ray! I agree that this show is a lot more fun than the recent CW show.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The visual effects will likely be upscaled since the show was shot on film, edited on video.

Regardless, this is a Day One purchase for me and I’m excited to see the new transfers!
It's going to look like a bad patch job, unlike SHAZAM! Which they had Filmation's master 35mm/16mm elements on EVERYTHING. Now if we could only get a restored ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (At least the color episodes) on Blu!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks