What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Flash - season 1 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This was a strange and interesting episode. Barry was smart. There wasn't any self-inflicted stupidity.

I had some mixed feelings about Iris' outbursts, but it conveyed real emotion and connection between the two. Her reaction is earned. And it's wild watching everyone know who The Flash is in Season 2. My reference is Smallville, with Lana not knowing anything until like the sixth season.

Superhuman, telepathic Gorilla ... this could have been unintentionally funny. And I struggled a bit with that as a villain. But the excellent CG and scoring helped tremendously. And Jesse Martin's convincing performance also sold the danger Grodd posed.

My favorite moment: Wells telling Eddie that he's a failure, and doesn't get the girl. Tragic, prophetic truths are a marvelous story-telling technique to poison and turn a character. Far more interesting than elaborate, mustache-twirling ruses.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
When Barry was tracking Gordd with Joe and Cisco, why was he wearing his regular clothes?

Would it not have been smarter to wear your Flash uniform in case you found Grodd?

There must be some contract cause that says actors can only wear the uniform for a short amount of time.

Heaven forbid you can't see Grant Gustin or Chris Evans pretty boy faces or their well coif hair.

Grodd was cool and well done.

Way too many scenes with Iris and Barry.

There was a deleted scene for this episode.

Caitlin delivering takeout food to the prisoners.

Hopefully it will be on the Home Video release.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I am usually not bothered by the Iris scenes, but man when she was going off on Barry in this episode, I could picture Barry raising his arm in a chopping motion and then vibrating it crazy fast, and well you know the rest. :)

Grodd was pretty well done within the limitations of a television budget. Biggest laugh of the night for me was Cisco bringing along a banana.

Not a bad episode, but Wells has been such a force in recent episodes that his relatively spare screen time in Tuesday's episode made it feel like a bit of a let down. Yeah, I wonder about STAR Labs without Wells, but sometimes it doesn't pay to think too much about genre shows. :)

- Walker.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Unless the place that Wells is hiding is under STAR Labs. That was my impression from that last scene. Where else do you have something that big to "turn on".

Maybe I'm wrong, but, as I said, that was my impression - he just turned on the lab's accelerator.

Of course, everyone upstairs would notice - but that's for next week...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Considering the TV budget, I was impressed with Grodd. I figured we'd get him in shadows or in very long shots, but we were treated to a good deal of up close and personal views.

And now...Iris. I know a lot of people have a problem with her, but this was the first episode I rolled my eyes almost every time she said or did something. I understand why Joe and Barry kept the Flash secret from her...really, I do. And it makes sense to me. However, I feel like she's blowing it all way out of proportion. There's this constant tug of war in The Flash about these characters being adults vs. needing protection from authority figures. The writers aren't dealing with it very well considering the backlash against Iris.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Ferris Air - "one of their test pilots is missing." I wonder whether we will see him next season.

I haven't watched the whole thing, but I can't believe that Barry fully "paid" Snart in advance - just a really stupid thing to do.

The costume coming out of the ring was really cool.

The team-up was a bit rocky, but they finally coordinated to get it working nicely. I would have been satisfied with this as the season finale, but it looks like we have one more.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
NeilO said:
Ferris Air - "one of their test pilots is missing." I wonder whether we will see him next season.
Both shows have been dropping so many Hal Jordan bits of foreshadowing lately that I'd be disappointed if we didn't get Green Lantern in some way, shape or form.

I haven't watched the whole thing, but I can't believe that Barry fully "paid" Snart in advance - just a really stupid thing to do.
Yes, I was waiting for that jump drive he took with him after wiping everything at CCPD to contain the data he wiped. This was an irritating example of the villain looking smart only because the hero was stupid. And they never really addressed how Snart convertly sabotaged Wells's advanced futuristic technology that a genius like Cisco was barely able to understand.

The team-up was a bit rocky, but they finally coordinated to get it working nicely. I would have been satisfied with this as the season finale, but it looks like we have one more.
I was left more confused than ever where this fits into the timeline for "Arrow" however. Are we supposed to believe that Ra's al Ghul just let AlSahm disappear for a couple days to help Oliver Queen's old friend in Central City?

Anybody want to bet that the second particle accelerator event results in:
Caitlin Snow being transformed into the metahuman Killer Frost?

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
That was a dumb move on Barry's part in trusting Snart and deleting his criminal record and giving him the evidence. I was expecting Barry to have a back-up of everything. Really liked the episode, especially the end battle. What are they going to with Wells now that they have him? If they put him in one of the PA cells, wouldn't he have a way out since he designed it?

Maybe the PA won't do anything this time, it could have worked properly this time. Wells could have rigged the first event to go wrong in order to give Barry his powers.

I liked the Green Lantern nod in this episode.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Apologies if this has been brought up previously in the thread, but does anyone else believe that Barry, in trying to go back in time to save his mother, will also save the actual Dr. Wells so he avoids that near-fatal car accident? I like Wells much more as part of the STAR Labs team, and this is the only way they can work an adequate reset of the situation.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Since the preview has been brought up - how do they know that Barry can go into the past and return? I hope they do some testing before Barry goes right back then.

In any case, if he really does go back and tries to save his mother -- the only way I can see him not totally messing with the timeline is if he brings her forward into the "present." She would be thought of as dead all these years, but her reappearance will be able to free his father. Of course there would be the question of how she is so young, but maybe no one will ask about that ...

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I not only liked the nods to Hal Jordan, but also Wells's foreshadowing of Flashpoint, when he told Barry, that if he saved his mom, he would cause the death of thousands. (the Atlantean/Amazon war?) This Arrow/Flash universe is just fantastic, IMO.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Probably one of my least favorite episodes of this season. I like Barry's glass half full outlook on things but it's time to put the blindly naive stuff behind the character. He's been through a lot this season and the character needs to be shown maturing.

The last two episodes have really blunted much of the excellent pace the show had going up to Eobard's coming out.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Lou Sytsma said:
Probably one of my least favorite episodes of this season. I like Barry's glass half full outlook on things but it's time to put the blindly naive stuff behind the character. He's been through a lot this season and the character needs to be shown maturing.

He said he was trying to emulate the Arrow with the Snart alliance, but I don't think Oliver Queen would have been that naive. Oliver at least would have had a back-up plan to deal with the double-cross, even if he did have reason to think the alliance with Snart was worth a shot in the first place.

And does Barry really think Snart will keep his identity a secret?

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Exactly what was it Barry wanted Snart to do anyway?

When he first met Snart in the bar I thought maybe he was going to get him do create a diversion to lure all the police to the other side of town or something but that wasn't it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, they had to find a way to release those metas so they wouldn't have to come up with so many new villains for next season. I was surprised Barry didn't have a back-up plan if Captain Cold failed to hold up his end of the deal, but Barry hasn't shown great smarts much this season anyway. If he were still a naive teen, I might understand these lapses in judgment, but he's an adult and should know by now how unreliable any of these villains are.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Unfortunately, it's another case of the writers writing Barry as an idiot to create false drama. Snart did nothing. They merely needed to hire a truck driver for a few hours. Why all the nonsense of Snarts records and evidence and his sister...to do nothing?

I liked the episode overall, especially the final fight. But it's erratic. It swings from darkly serious to melodramatic goofiness.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Oliver Ravencrest said:
But how does he get it in there in the first place? lol I loved that moment.

Tech from the future, remember he is hundreds of years ahead. Also, this was addressed a LONG time ago in The Flash comics, dating back to either the Silver or Bronze age. You will find out in the show I'm sure, but I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks