What's new

The Disc Collection of Mike Frezon (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well, at least you have a 3 bedroom house to store your discs. I live in a one bedroom apartment with 8,077 discs (at last count)! I mean I have discs in the linen and broom closets!
Well, Thomas, I look at it this way. Some people live in a one bedroom; either with or without a single view; whereas in your apartment you have the view of thousands.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have kept all of my music CD's that I have ripped to a digital format (haven't done this with DVDs or BDs), but for those of you using having a backup as justification, I do hope that you are backing up your data some other way, as well. I have data that's a lot more important to me than my ripped music collection -- digital photos, financial info, etc. Having a proper data backup plan is critically important for anyone who has data he/she cannot afford to lose.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I have kept all of my music CD's that I have ripped to a digital format (haven't done this with DVDs or BDs), but for those of you using having a backup as justification, I do hope that you are backing up your data some other way, as well. I have data that's a lot more important to me than my ripped music collection -- digital photos, financial info, etc. Having a proper data backup plan is critically important for anyone who has data he/she cannot afford to lose.

I use two external hard drives to back up everything, at least once a month. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Since most people at home do not run a fault-tolerant server with a raid 10 array and hot swappable disks, I usually recommend a three-tiered backup plan.

Tier 1 is local backup to an external drive. I actually have two drives: One has two partitions - the first being purely data (music, video, photos, documents) and the other partition is for Apple Time Machine backups. The second external drive is a bare metal image of my MacBook Pro that I create once a month.

Tier 2 is a duplicate set of the above-mentioned external drives that are kept offsite in our safe deposit box at the bank. It’s a five minute drive to the bank so it’s very convenient for me. Whenever I create a new image each month, I take the drives from home and swap them with the drives from the bank.

Tier 3 is cloud backup. I use iCloud for documents and photos. Since we moved last year and actually have good internet now, I’ve been looking into cloud storage services like Backblaze.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I'd like something like this:

1615351726840.png

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I use two external hard drives to back up everything, at least once a month. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Monthly backups are way too infrequent. You should be backing minimally every day.

I do something similar to what @Clinton McClure describes. I use FBackup to automatically run nightly backups to an attached external drive. I also have a second external portable drive that I leave disconnected, except when I attach it to manually backup my data. My third tier is to a cloud-based service for my off-site backup, which is backing up any data that is added or changed in real time.

Real Name
Nick M.
My collection is larger than most, smaller than some. I have DVDs and books in almost every room of my house. Some rooms have a fair share of CDs & vinyl, as well. Whatever one wishes to accumulate, keep or discard for our brief go 'round on this mortal coil, I say have at it. We are all here for far too short a period to see or do it "all." If you don't want the clutter, great; then streamline. If you don't mind the "stacks," great; just make sure your space is safe and doesn't cause you stress. I LOVE the photos that have been shared and I appreciate all the differing points of view. Best to all, friends. Stay safe, healthy & happy.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Interesting to see some of the larger collections here. Mine currently sits at 600 or so titles, about half of which are ripped to drives on my HTPC. Since I started collecting UHD titles I've given up on the ripping as it's just more trouble than it's worth.

I may be in the minority but the thought of parting with any of my titles is downright scary. I may never watch them but there's a certain security in knowing I could. I may have issues... :crazy:

IMG_2298.jpg
IMG_2299.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Interesting to see some of the larger collections here. Mine currently sits at 600 or so titles, about half of which are ripped to drives on my HTPC. Since I started collecting UHD titles I've given up on the ripping as it's just more trouble than it's worth.

I may be in the minority but the thought of parting with any of my titles is downright scary. I may never watch them but there's a certain security in knowing I could. I may have issues... :crazy:

View attachment 93493 View attachment 93494
I'm just like you. I love the feeling of having my own library from which I can pull any title at will.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I'm fortunate enough that in my current home I have a media room with a media closet. Many years previously I got rid of all the different cheap bookcases I used, and slowly invested into using the Elfa Track System, which has worked out extremely well. This way i use all the available wall space.

View attachment 91457
View attachment 91460 View attachment 91461
Could you point me to a link for info on the Elfa track system? I never heard of it, but like what I see.

Last edited:

Maxman43

Agent
Real Name
Bill

View attachment 93493 View attachment 93494
NEVER get rid of them!

Maxman43

Agent
Real Name
Bill

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didnt take pics but I just made complete Lists of all of mine and the Formats they were in. Didnt realize there was already a Thread

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Some of this discussion reminds me of our old friend Robert Fowlks, jeez I know I spelled his name wrong.

He had a giant collection of Laser discs and just about every type of home video.
His personal web site had pictures of his collection and he offered me plenty of advice on how to make shelves for at the time my huge collection.

Since I still have hundreds of dvds that are taking up much too much space I’ve been considering buying sleeves and binders to keep them in but I just can’t get myself to do it.

That Elfa shelf system is incredible and I wish I knew about it years ago.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Thought I would add a picture of just my Blu-ray 3D video collection. Obviously I'm a big fan of 3D movies which began as a child when the first movie I remember my parents taking me to was one of the 50's 3D westerns where I was freaked out by arrows being shot toward me by on screen marauding Indians. The rest of my video collection is in a different area inside a closet but I consider these videos the jewels of my collection and they are housed in this cabinet that my father built for me in the 70's to house my VHS tapes on top and Laser Disk collection on the bottom. Happily the Blu-ray cases fit into the VHS sized shelves as they and the Laser Discs are long gone. Sadly my 3D movie viewing has been hampered by the death of my Sony XBR-75X940D 4K 3D TV and being the last great 3D compatible TV model I'm left with viewing my favorite films on my still functioning LG 3D computer monitor and with my VR headsets which do a great job of recreating the 3D movie experience in a virtual theater. You may have seen some of my 3D rants against the studios on this site for their poor roll out and support of 3D tech and media over the years. I've finally come to grips with the fact that the 3D TV and theatrical presentation era is now over. Now all except Warner Brothers and The 3D Film Archive continue to bring out titles but I think Covid has finally killed 3D theatrically until the next 3D wave in the future as 3D always bounces back in some form. View attachment 91520
Did you make this?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
So many of you have really nice collections and it is interesting how many people just do not appreciate movie collections anymore. I thought I had a decent idea what would happen to my library and gear once I passed away but now I am not sure. I know my mother doesn't get my collection and even asked well when you move what are you going to do with all those movies, I said I will continue watching them! Like I wasn't going to have room for them but I consider my collection to be on the small side. I did do a purge around 8 - 10 years ago where I got rid of DVD titles that where upgraded to Blu-ray so I took them to a local store that purchased them. But I also got very little for 3 small boxes of DVD's and a few duplicate blu-rays. Love your collection Mike.

20210907_140336.jpg

20210907_140345.jpg

IMG_0150a.jpg

20200401_092106a.jpg

20210726_223316.jpg

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I haven't read through all the posts here yet, but I am thinking it's time to do another weeding. There are various strategies I've taken to do this, but am curious how others have approached the weeding process? an obvious one is keeping only what "sparks joy" (to beat that dead horse). For example, 22 Jump Street is probably not going to do that for me, whereas the 3 editions of My Fair Lady will. 😅

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Tempting. They're apparently running some sort of sale right now (for the ELFA system) thru mid-Oct.
Since I still have hundreds of dvds that are taking up much too much space I’ve been considering buying sleeves and binders to keep them in but I just can’t get myself to do it.

That Elfa shelf system is incredible and I wish I knew about it years ago.

Looks like they're running a new sale thru mid-Feb that might be a bit better... I wasn't ready to pull the trigger the last time, but maybe this time...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks