What's new

The Disc Collection of Mike Frezon (1 Viewer)

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I am closing out a really big project for me in which I shrank and re-organized my ever-growing disc collection.

Having it finally complete brings me great joy! :D

Over recent years, the collection of discs (mostly 4k/Blu/DVD/CD) had gotten horribly out of control. It had not been properly maintained and had taken up partial residency in cardboard boxes and stacks on the floor. It had become increasingly difficult to find anything.

I recently had an opportunity to devote a fair amount of time into weeding out titles I knew I would never watch again. I had to practice some tough love on my collection. But a lot of light-weight titles were easily excised. Some were more difficult than others. I also eliminated a number of titles of which I had duplicates/upgrades. When that was done I set about sorting and alphabetizing what was left.

As you can see from the pictures below. I have a small room (the 3rd BR in our 1924-vintage home) in which to store the discs (9.5' by 9.5'). This is the beauty of the empty nest.

Over the years I have also collected an odd assortment of shelving units to hold my discs, as you will see.

I have removed most of my CDs from the room as I am planning on copying them onto HDD storage. A thread on that project can be found HERE. Most CDs have temporarily gone into basement storage (with my vinyl and a few LaserDiscs). The only CDs remaining in the media room are my Christmas music. And this is temporary, as I plan on including them in the "ripping" project.

As part of this project, I also completely cleaned out all the excised discs from my DVD Profiler and have determined which discs needed to be added to bring that totally up-to-date to match the physical collection. DVD Profiler tells me my home video collection is currently around 2500 discs. That is more than some and less than others.

As I turn 62 in a few days, I realize I have more than enough movies here to keep me more than happy for the rest of my life (and we can talk about how our kids aren't going to want these collections and what to do with them when we're gone...) yet I keep adding more as they keep making them. (Boy, am I really looking hard at you right now, Warner Archive! :D ).

Here's what my storage looks like:

Picture #1

full

This is the West wall. The door on the left is the entry into the room. The door on the right leads into a walk-in closet. My wife stores clothes in there. This wall houses the 4k/Blu movies. Box sets are stored horizontally up top. Numbered titles begin on the lower left unit and proceed alphabetically through to the letter "P."

Picture #2

full

Pretty much the same view...featuring Ernie. :laugh:

Picture #3

full

This is the north wall (the windows are on the East wall). On this wall the movies conclude through "Z." My high-rez music is also here (SACDs, DVD-As, Blu-ray Audio, etc.). Also here are my concert discs (both HD and SD). And musical theater discs. Various Maltin Guides and Ebert/Kael review books are also here. The short rack under the La La Land poster holds my remaining DVD movies.

Picture #4

full

This is the South wall. The far left stack is Christmas music. The top row of the middle stack are Christmas movies/TV. Below that row are all TV series (HD/SD). The light brown vertical unit in the middle holds all my baseball titles, nature documentaries, calibration discs. The right-hand storage unit holds all my Disney/kid titles (HD/SD).

Why we have the world's largest chair (technically a chair-and-a-half) smack in the middle of this very small room is a story for another day. :D

Anyway, this is probably TMI for most people, but whenever an HTF member posts a picture of even a small portion of their disc shelves, I stare at it for a very long time. (Must be some voyeur problem I have!).

So please feel free to share pix of your collections here. And make any comments or ask any questions you might have about mine.
Not too much information at all. Very interesting. Made me feel better about my conglomeration of books, CDs, DVDs, Blues, and 4K. Here in California it is prudent to have the bookshelves attached to the walls to earthquake proof them. Hope yours are secure as well. Here, also, any trinkets need to be set on museum putty for protection. As we all know, the Big One is coming.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I've had the same problem. Discs overflowing everywhere. I finally had to do some paring down myself. All the Blu-rays which I had already upgraded with 4K digital files got banished into four giant plastic bins in the garage!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I did a major pass in 2019. Any DVDs that still haven’t been watched went - I figure if I bought it in 1999 and it never got watched, it wasn’t gonna happen. Any discs that made me think “I’d watch that movie again but I’d rather watch the new remastered edition over this one I have” went too. Anything I bought in college but hadn’t touched since then also went.

And I still had tons left.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I did a major purge of titles I knew I would never watch again a few years ago, too. I also get rid of any titles that I upgrade, so as I have been upgrading some titles to streaming versions, my available shelf space is actually increasing a little. Upgrading titles from DVD to BD also netted some shelf space, as BD cases are usually thinner. It's a good thing, too, as I was about out of room a few years ago, but available shelf space has stayed about the same for a few years now. According to DVD Profiler, I currently have 1,267 titles on disc and 291 titles uniquely on digital streaming -- that latter number does not include titles I own both on disc and digitally (via claimed digital codes), so I am not sure exactly how many titles are in my digital libraries. My disc titles are stored in five media shelving units (with overflow to a couple of shelves on a book case) in my home office. I moved my music CD racks to the basement when I cleaned up the office last year.

My wife has been selling titles I upgrade, and she sometimes gets more than what I paid for the upgrade. She's also been selling my vinyl record collection, as I haven't played an LP in many years. In fact, I recently discovered my turn table no longer works when we attempted to check the playback condition of an album. The turn table is connected to the music-only system in our basement recreation room, but had only been used a handful of times in the last 26 years to test playback of LPs we were selling.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
When I came to the reality that 99% of the discs I just had to have we're only watched once or never (in wrappers still) and knowing I can watch digitally without scouring shelves of discs is when I told myself enough was enough and I donated all my discs and never thought twice about it. I just don't rewatch movies anymore like I used to.
Well, obviously if you never re-watch movies, then there's no point in collecting them. Most regular posters in this forum do re-watch their discs and there's the difference between them and you. Most of my viewing is of discs I bought some time ago. For example, a week ago I watched two of the very first DVDs I bought.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I did a major purge of titles I knew I would never watch again a few years ago, too. I also get rid of any titles that I upgrade, so as I have been upgrading some titles to streaming versions, my available shelf space is actually increasing a little. Upgrading titles from DVD to BD also netted some shelf space, as BD cases are usually thinner. It's a good thing, too, as I was about out of room a few years ago, but available shelf space has stayed about the same for a few years now. According to DVD Profiler, I currently have 1,267 titles on disc and 291 titles uniquely on digital streaming -- that latter number does not include titles I own both on disc and digitally (via claimed digital codes), so I am not sure exactly how many titles are in my digital libraries. My disc titles are stored in five media shelving units (with overflow to a couple of shelves on a book case) in my home office. I moved my music CD racks to the basement when I cleaned up the office last year.

My wife has been selling titles I upgrade, and she sometimes gets more than what I paid for the upgrade. She's also been selling my vinyl record collection, as I haven't played an LP in many years. In fact, I recently discovered my turn table no longer works when we attempted to check the playback condition of an album. The turn table is connected to the music-only system in our basement recreation room, but had only been used a handful of times in the last 26 years to test playback of LPs we were selling.
What I do when I upgrade titles is just give the old titles to a friend or my brother who has similar tastes in films. I’m an exceedingly nice guy.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If the day ever comes where one of us removes our mounted display panel in order to make space for another shelving unit, is the day we’ll know you are more of a collector than you are an actual film buff.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I used to trade in my old discs for store credit at Hastings Entertainment when I upgraded or if I had some titles that I never watched. I’m glad I did my last big purge before Hastings closed a few years ago. After they went out of business, EntertainMart (known as Vintage Stock or V-Stock in other places) occupied the empty Hastings location for maybe two years before they eventually closed meaning I no longer had any place to sell / trade my used discs unless I want to deal with the hassle of EBay or Craig’s List, which I don’t. Since I don’t buy many discs anymore, if I ever upgrade a title, I put the old version in a donate stack that eventually makes its way to Goodwill.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
BTW, Mike, thanks for sharing this; it looks all so great to my eye.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Meanwhile, I’ve thought of a strategy to solve all my physical media cataloging issues.

All of my future dwellings and subletting shall be exclusively through landlords who are members of HTF with collections of 5,000 or more titles. Think about it. No more newspapers and on-line searches put out by people of which I have no inkling as to whom they are. And all of my monies will go towards only the paying the rent and not another dime on pre-orders or sales. I’ll never have to lug my stacks of Staples boxes around, because every different and yearly landlord will have; in all probability; an even better inventory of titles than myself.

I’ll understand them and, 79% of the time, they’ll understand me. That’s right, instead of kitchen privileges it’ll now be all about the designated home theater and film library privileges.

Yah, I’m real good about Chinese take-out and pizza deliveries. Films before home-cooked foods, as I always say. Add to this that we are an international membership and - Presto!! - I’ve gotten myself a great way to travel the world, as well.

FILE UNDER:
“I won’t be a bother” (or) “You won’t even know that I’m here”:oops:

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
I'm fortunate enough that in my current home I have a media room with a media closet. Many years previously I got rid of all the different cheap bookcases I used, and slowly invested into using the Elfa Track System, which has worked out extremely well. This way i use all the available wall space.

Entry1.jpg

Right3.jpg
Left2.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I used to trade in my old discs for store credit at Hastings Entertainment when I upgraded or if I had some titles that I never watched. I’m glad I did my last big purge before Hastings closed a few years ago. After they went out of business, EntertainMart (known as Vintage Stock or V-Stock in other places) occupied the empty Hastings location for maybe two years before they eventually closed meaning I no longer had any place to sell / trade my used discs unless I want to deal with the hassle of EBay or Craig’s List, which I don’t. Since I don’t buy many discs anymore, if I ever upgrade a title, I put the old version in a donate stack that eventually makes its way to Goodwill.

Decluttr:

They purchase used media - though it depends on the title and I've not yet found anything I'm getting rid of that's worth the effort based on their offer. YMMV.

Dgottli1

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I am closing out a really big project for me in which I shrank and re-organized my ever-growing disc collection.

Having it finally complete brings me great joy! :D

Over recent years, the collection of discs (mostly 4k/Blu/DVD/CD) had gotten horribly out of control. It had not been properly maintained and had taken up partial residency in cardboard boxes and stacks on the floor. It had become increasingly difficult to find anything.

I recently had an opportunity to devote a fair amount of time into weeding out titles I knew I would never watch again. I had to practice some tough love on my collection. But a lot of light-weight titles were easily excised. Some were more difficult than others. I also eliminated a number of titles of which I had duplicates/upgrades. When that was done I set about sorting and alphabetizing what was left.

As you can see from the pictures below. I have a small room (the 3rd BR in our 1924-vintage home) in which to store the discs (9.5' by 9.5'). This is the beauty of the empty nest.

Over the years I have also collected an odd assortment of shelving units to hold my discs, as you will see.

I have removed most of my CDs from the room as I am planning on copying them onto HDD storage. A thread on that project can be found HERE. Most CDs have temporarily gone into basement storage (with my vinyl and a few LaserDiscs). The only CDs remaining in the media room are my Christmas music. And this is temporary, as I plan on including them in the "ripping" project.

As part of this project, I also completely cleaned out all the excised discs from my DVD Profiler and have determined which discs needed to be added to bring that totally up-to-date to match the physical collection. DVD Profiler tells me my home video collection is currently around 2500 discs. That is more than some and less than others.

As I turn 62 in a few days, I realize I have more than enough movies here to keep me more than happy for the rest of my life (and we can talk about how our kids aren't going to want these collections and what to do with them when we're gone...) yet I keep adding more as they keep making them. (Boy, am I really looking hard at you right now, Warner Archive! :D ).

Here's what my storage looks like:

Picture #1

full

This is the West wall. The door on the left is the entry into the room. The door on the right leads into a walk-in closet. My wife stores clothes in there. This wall houses the 4k/Blu movies. Box sets are stored horizontally up top. Numbered titles begin on the lower left unit and proceed alphabetically through to the letter "P."

Picture #2

full

Pretty much the same view...featuring Ernie. :laugh:

Picture #3

full

This is the north wall (the windows are on the East wall). On this wall the movies conclude through "Z." My high-rez music is also here (SACDs, DVD-As, Blu-ray Audio, etc.). Also here are my concert discs (both HD and SD). And musical theater discs. Various Maltin Guides and Ebert/Kael review books are also here. The short rack under the La La Land poster holds my remaining DVD movies.

Picture #4

full

This is the South wall. The far left stack is Christmas music. The top row of the middle stack are Christmas movies/TV. Below that row are all TV series (HD/SD). The light brown vertical unit in the middle holds all my baseball titles, nature documentaries, calibration discs. The right-hand storage unit holds all my Disney/kid titles (HD/SD).

Why we have the world's largest chair (technically a chair-and-a-half) smack in the middle of this very small room is a story for another day. :D

Anyway, this is probably TMI for most people, but whenever an HTF member posts a picture of even a small portion of their disc shelves, I stare at it for a very long time. (Must be some voyeur problem I have!).

So please feel free to share pix of your collections here. And make any comments or ask any questions you might have about mine.
That is quite a collection! But based on those pictures and the chair set up, I feel like I need to tell you something: when most people say they like watching movies, they typically put them in the corresponding dvd/Blu Ray player and watch the movies on a screen. This is the first time I’ve seen a dedicated room just for watching the movie boxes!

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
That is quite a collection! But based on those pictures and the chair set up, I feel like I need to tell you something: when most people say they like watching movies, they typically put them in the corresponding dvd/Blu Ray player and watch the movies on a screen. This is the first time I’ve seen a dedicated room just for watching the movie boxes!
I beg to differ. With this warm and inviting room; along with a loyal Golden and a nice cup of coffee at each of my sides; I would say that such a comfortable sit would rival the very same meditative benefits as found from looking out a picture window.

Plus, it’s a great way of selectively separating invited movie-night viewing guests from pawing all over and disheveling my neatly kept, aligned and cared for collection.

FILE UNDER: Don’t Touch The Good China.:cool:

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Some very nice collections here. I'm isolated to one portion of our built in book cases in our front room. I'd say 90% of the house contains my girls and my wife's stuff while mine is restricted to a minimal part of the space. haha. At least I can access it though unlike my books and old video game stuff which languish in storage boxes at a rented storage unit.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
:thumbs-up-smiley:Some very nice collections here. I'm isolated to one portion of our built in book cases in our front room. I'd say 90% of the house contains my girls and my wife's stuff while mine is restricted to a minimal part of the space. haha. [...]
10% is very good.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Thought I would add a picture of just my Blu-ray 3D video collection. Obviously I'm a big fan of 3D movies which began as a child when the first movie I remember my parents taking me to was one of the 50's 3D westerns where I was freaked out by arrows being shot toward me by on screen marauding Indians. The rest of my video collection is in a different area inside a closet but I consider these videos the jewels of my collection and they are housed in this cabinet that my father built for me in the 70's to house my VHS tapes on top and Laser Disk collection on the bottom. Happily the Blu-ray cases fit into the VHS sized shelves as they and the Laser Discs are long gone. Sadly my 3D movie viewing has been hampered by the death of my Sony XBR-75X940D 4K 3D TV and being the last great 3D compatible TV model I'm left with viewing my favorite films on my still functioning LG 3D computer monitor and with my VR headsets which do a great job of recreating the 3D movie experience in a virtual theater. You may have seen some of my 3D rants against the studios on this site for their poor roll out and support of 3D tech and media over the years. I've finally come to grips with the fact that the 3D TV and theatrical presentation era is now over. Now all except Warner Brothers and The 3D Film Archive continue to bring out titles but I think Covid has finally killed 3D theatrically until the next 3D wave in the future as 3D always bounces back in some form.
3D Video Collection.jpg

Maxman43

Agent
Real Name
Bill
Hello Mike & Ernie - love your collection, not TMI for me. Was wondering how you dispose of the unwanted discs. Can't seem to give them away and I'd like to remove a few from my collection also, but ... $$$?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors