What's new

The Disc Collection of Mike Frezon (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gee. Some libraries still take discs--if not for their own use then for regular book/media sales they hold to raise funds for new acquisitions. At least that's what they do near us (although not during Covid).

I would think Goodwill would be more than happy to take them off your hands (plus, it's a charitable tax deduction).

And I gotta think there would be people who'd buy 'em at a garage sale...or at the very least, friends/family would would love to have them for free.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have zero takers for discs among friends and family - they’re all over the hassle of the physical object and the clutter. There was a used bookstore/media shop near my office that took discs so that’s how I got rid of the bulk of my unwanted titles. The payouts were pretty minuscule but I was just happy to have it dealt with. Plus, they sold plenty of titles for $2-4 each, so I basically turned a large pile of stuff I didn’t want into a small pile of stuff I did want. If I’d bring in ten things I didn’t want and walk out with one thing I did, and enough to grab a sandwich on the way back to the office, I’d always consider that a win.

JFKarr

Grip
Real Name
John Karr
Ripping discs? I learned the hard way. If it's a CD that's important to you, save it after ripping. Put it in dead storage, perhaps. But anything computer dependent is liable to crash, melt down, malfunction, etc. And then you'll be so glad to have the CD.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have zero takers for discs among friends and family - they’re all over the hassle of the physical object and the clutter.
None of my family or friends are interested, either. My wife's had luck in the past selling my old titles locally via Facebook Marketplace, but she hasn't sold any in a month or so. I think she has a pile of over 35 titles still unsold. Eventually we will probably donate them to Goodwill or the Salvation Army if she cannot sell them.

She's had much better luck with my old comic books and vinyl records.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
...or at the very least, friends/family would would love to have them for free.
:rolling-smiley:
out of here lol GIF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Feel free to donate anything unwanted my way :D
Well, you can rule out getting any of the discs that I purchased based on your reviews. Those remain keepers.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Now, to gain a donation of a shelving unit or rack would be an entirely different goal. Betcha everyone here would be hard-pressed to gain a freebie item like that.:oops:

Meanwhile, I should like to blame HTF for my ever increasing lack of space. I only had about 47 discs before joining. Yup, I am officially blaming each and every one of you for capturing my attentions and maintaining my ongoing interests.:)

Last edited:

Prof. Ratigan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Sadly I can't find the link to the YouTube video that converted me to putting my movies in sleeves, but this video shows the space saving. In the video I can't find, the collector used these custom cabinets and filed alphabetically.it was a beautiful sight. Personally, I'm waiting on buying the cabinet for when I leave my renting days behind me. So in the mean time I've got them organized in long cardboard boxes like these with dividers sitting on top of wire shelving. Turned a collection taking up 9 tiers of DVD shelves across two walls, I think in the 2500-3000 range, into neat filing system 20"x36"x30".

A tip I didn't get soon enough was to print out labels with title, year, runtime (or whatever) when I was transporting them.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Sadly I can't find the link to the YouTube video that converted me to putting my movies in sleeves, but this video shows the space saving. In the video I can't find, the collector used these custom cabinets and filed alphabetically.it was a beautiful sight. Personally, I'm waiting on buying the cabinet for when I leave my renting days behind me. So in the mean time I've got them organized in long cardboard boxes like these with dividers sitting on top of wire shelving. Turned a collection taking up 9 tiers of DVD shelves across two walls, I think in the 2500-3000 range, into neat filing system 20"x36"x30".

A tip I didn't get soon enough was to print out labels with title, year, runtime (or whatever) when I was transporting them.
Thanks for the link to the cabinets. Looks like some of the cabinets have locks. Does yours?

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Ripping discs? I learned the hard way. If it's a CD that's important to you, save it after ripping. Put it in dead storage, perhaps. But anything computer dependent is liable to crash, melt down, malfunction, etc. And then you'll be so glad to have the CD.

That's what I was thinking. I'm never going to get rid of my physical media. If only for backup.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To my mind, it doesn’t make sense to get rid of the discs if you’re ripping for a number of reasons.

First and foremost is legality. There are conflicting statutes on the matter, but it’s generally accepted that a private individual may legally make a backup copy of an item they own. If you no longer own the item, you’re no longer entitled to have a backup copy of it. If you wanted to rip your discs and then toss them in the trash, that’s probably allowable. But ripping a disc and then selling, trading, or donating the disc is absolutely not allowed. That’s bootlegging. There’s no difference between ripping a disc, keeping the rip and selling the disc than there is renting a disc and making a copy of it.

Having a backup copy is also a vitally important reason to keep the original disc. Hard drives can fail. So can discs. But if you have a copy of the content on each, it’s more likely that you won’t lose the content should something go wrong somewhere.

Prof. Ratigan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Thanks for the link to the cabinets. Looks like some of the cabinets have locks. Does yours?
I haven't gotten the cabinets yet, they're pretty big and heavy so I'm going to wait until we get a house. I probably wouldn't bother with locks, nobody is going steal your movies one at a time.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I haven't gotten the cabinets yet, they're pretty big and heavy so I'm going to wait until we get a house. I probably wouldn't bother with locks, nobody is going steal your movies one at a time.
Based on the individual and their living circumstances, if one has the instinct for using locks then - by all means - they must follow it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks