What's new

The Disc Collection of Mike Frezon (1 Viewer)

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I have complete dvd sets of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Angel", "Bones", and Blu-rays of "The Big Bang Theory". I always thought I'd like to have "Buffy", "Angel", and "Bones" around for a rainy day, but I know now, clearly, that that day will never come. and anyway, "Bones" is on television every day. They take up a lot of room, along with my other less space-taking series such as "Galavant." So I'm thinking about getting rid of them. . . .. I don't know . . . . Just thinking.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Just post a thread in the forsale area that says free/swap or put an event in your local area. I don’t think either will generate much traffic. I can’t even give away a baller 4 year old receiver let alone some disks…

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just post a thread in the forsale area that says free/swap or put an event in your local area. I don’t think either will generate much traffic. I can’t even give away a baller 4 year old receiver let alone some disks…
Posting in neighborhood social media gets this stuff gone instantly. I posted my 10 year old Onkyo receiver to the neighborhood facebook page and it was claimed within the hour.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Cool. I was hoping a fellow HTFer would take it but since no bites here I may do that

What kind of receiver? If it’ll handle 4K I am potentially interested. It’s on my upgrade list but not a huge priority - I run a dual display setup, TV is 4K but PJ is 1080, my receiver only handles 1080 but no critical viewing is done on TV so lack of 4K capability hasn’t been important as of yet. That said…having the capability wouldn’t be a bad thing :)

Never mind, misunderstood, cannot pick up.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
So after I posted my last thread here stating libraries have their own sources to acquire (purchase) CDs and DVDs for circulation and just sell the donated ones, I did a last-ditch phone attempt to find a library that would accept and place them into circulation, and finally found one.

This was a branch of a library cooperative wherein the other libraries connected to it would only sell them.
The librarian said they would circulate them provided both the disc and case were in good shape.

So, if you would rather have many people enjoy the donated goods, perhaps having a standard email to send to the library branches in your area is the way to go.

As an aside, many libraries have a 'Library Of (donated) Things' program that circulate household items among cardholders, such as musical instruments (some are pricey), electrical kitchen items etc, with the intent of 'try before you buy'.
Another way to potentially bring joy to many, as opposed to just one person/family.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I floated a similar idea some years back. The consensus at the time was the logistics simply made it impractical. If we ever do agree to give it a try, however, count me in to assist.

I'm in as well.
Though I've already donated the extra electronics I've accumulated over the years, a buying or swaping of DVDs/CDs through the various mail options sounds good to me.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have complete dvd sets of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Angel", "Bones", and Blu-rays of "The Big Bang Theory". I always thought I'd like to have "Buffy", "Angel", and "Bones" around for a rainy day, but I know now, clearly, that that day will never come. and anyway, "Bones" is on television every day. They take up a lot of room, along with my other less space-taking series such as "Galavant." So I'm thinking about getting rid of them. . . .. I don't know . . . . Just thinking.

Yeah, plus one can usually find some streaming service for those nowadays... or just own the digitals on iTunes or Vudu...

Recently, I just binged the entire Big Bang Theory series in HD on HBO Max and started doing the same w/ Young Sheldon (though S5 of that's on Paramount+ instead)... and sporadically revisiting Seinfeld on Netflix...

Even though the BDs might offer (marginally) better quality than these HD streams, the HD streams very often already look substantially better than their original broadcasted quality as is anyway (and is likely only very marginally inferior to the BDs, if at all)...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF you'd rather donate DVDs/BDs (to be shared/used instead of sold), but don't have local libraries and such that want them, this just occurred to me. During the last handful times my family ran stoop sales of DVDs several years ago, there was this one guy that kept coming around to buy them up cheaply -- he was literally driving by a few times every spring checking to see if we were selling. I found out he was apparently buying them up to send to deployed armed forces overseas because that was a need (at least back then... though not sure about now).

Seems like that should still be a thing though maybe a bit less so than a few years ago. A quick google comes up w/ these for instance:

There are others of course...

Also, maybe check out some local nursing or assisted-living retirement homes complexes. I bet at least some of them could use some donations of quality content... though probably need to be more appropriate to the respective demographic... And if you have the time and inclination, might also consider running/hosting movie nights for them as they can probably use volunteers for that -- my family did just that periodically for a good stretch until a few years ago...

And of course, there may be other similar outlets for donations (and volunteerism)...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is what’s staying:
1A1BA67B-EB59-4E4C-A131-6C3DD4D91C52.jpeg

And this is what’s going/
F91C990B-37A8-4FAA-9087-708F8EE2A84E.jpeg

Have gotten rid of quite a few to friends already. One is over the moon at getting Seinfeld complete on DVD

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well this was unexpected. I had 3 good friends cherry pick some disks to add to their own collections. Then today a friend of one of those friends said If I was just gonna give to Goodwill they would take the whole pile, keep a majority and sell off the rest. Done. Whole pile is gone and I didn’t even need to move the boxes. This ends my squatting in Mike’s thread :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm probably too much of a collector to do that much weeding out of my disc collection (or completely stop buying discs)...

My collecting impulse seemed to have started from my (modest) comic book collecting days largely during my teen years... before moving onto music collecting (largely during the CD era starting w/ my college days in the late-80's onward... mostly in classical music)... and then movies (starting in the late-90's)...

I've also collected stringed music instruments a little due to my kids learning the violin and viola (although nobody really plays the cello I have so far other than just to fool around a bit)...

Not sure if I should count photographic gears, but I suppose non-enthusiasts probably would, haha -- I certainly have more tripods than I probably actually need... though still nowhere near as many as I have copies of Stargate on disc, LOL... :blush::lol:

_Man_

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I definitely have a collector / pack rat mentality. But each collection seems to get replaced as I collect new hobbies. Disks and board games are getting culled to manageable proportions, power tools on the rise!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I definitely have a collector / pack rat mentality. But each collection seems to get replaced as I collect new hobbies. Disks and board games are getting culled to manageable proportions, power tools on the rise!

Yep, mostly same w/ me... though no power tools (yet)...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks