What's new

"The Dark Crystal" getting a sequel (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I find it hard to believe that it will truly get off the ground....and if it does, well, we'll see.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
That is one movie that may have worked in the 80's, but hasn't aged well..

Don't believe me?

Watch the original right now..

It's got nostalgia going for it, but..

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I think it has aged OK. The real test will be having my kids watch it. My oldest is almost 7. I think he will like it. It could be a great movie. But,

makes me believe that this will just turn into a merchandising tool.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
We just bought the collectors editions.. love it. Hey, it's aged better then quite a few films of that time (don't believe me? Go back and watch Gremlins, Wierd Science, etc.)

Still, though, I don't know where a sequel can really go without changing the mythology, but love the original still.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Gelfling! (Yes, 23 years later I still use "skeksi" accent to annoy friends, family, & co-workers).

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
They're likely looking at how Star Wars has pushed the boundaries for what computer-animated+live-action films can be, and recognize that there's going to be an open field for similar ventures now that Star Wars is done.

I think I understand why they'd make a sequel, too: If they came up with something wholly original, they might find themselves taking too long developing the look (wasting money). But by making a sequel, they already know the look and can simply focus on expanding and enhancing it.

It is a sensible way for their business to make a showcase for their talents.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Though I kinda wish they'd make a feature film of their Dinosaurs tv series instead... "Not the momma! Not the momma!"

Man that show was great. Where's the DVDs?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Considering how they made MirrorMask, using mostly blue screens, and that it only cost roughly 4 million I think we can postulate a pretty good "guesstimation" at what this sequel will look like.......MirrorMask looks to be a rather pretty film but Dark Crystal had such an organic & naturalistic feel to it (quite a feat for essentially a puppet show) that I have doubts that any sequel could match it on a less than stellar budget even with CGI.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Of course one of the things that leapt to my mind was... Disneyïtus, with all of their direct-to-TV horror sequals.

Leo

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
You beat me to bumping my own thread. I think the little sentence summarizing the story is rather interesting. I'm interested in seeing how the visualize a "little girl made of fire."

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I watched Dark Crystal ~2-3 years ago and thought it survived fine. Neverending Story...well that's another matter ;)

Just like any sequel, this could be really cool...or suck. :D

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I had zero interest until I saw Tartakovsky's name. Seeing Henson Studios and Froud is also very reassuring. I liked Dark Crystal OK. I have no preconceived notions either way. Not too interested in the other mediums.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I think the most pertinent point here was how organic the original movie felt. I've seen mirrormask (big gaimen/mckean fan) and I'm sure they can do wonders with CG on a small budget but I don't think they can capture the organic feel of the world of the dark crystal.

I'm not sure this will ever come out though. For some reason i'm getting the same vibe I got from all those Tron 2.0 rumors a few years ago. Then again since they have a director attached now that might be a promising sign. I'm curious to see how turns out, I just have my doubts.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
The original DARK CRYSTAL creeped me out to no end as a kid. Thus, I have no interest in this one, but like Chuck, I think it has promise because it has a good director. We'll see.

danDo

Agent
I would be interested in the movie if it did not have any CG animation or if the CG is a very, very small part of the movie.

I have a feeling that I would end up yellng at the screen though... similar to the horrible cgi of skywalker riding the cow-thingy in the field (episode II).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks