What's new

THE CREATURE WASN'T NICE - Original Director's Cut finally coming to DVD! (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Hi all. Don't know if this will be of any interest, but back in 1981 I wrote and directed a movie called The Creature Wasn't Nice, which featured Cindy Williams, Leslie Nielsen, Gerrit Graham, Patrick Macnee, and - me. :) The film only played three previews under that title - it was then taken by its producers and horribly recut and mangled into something that was retitled Spaceship, then Naked Space. It was terribly embarrassing to me personally because that version really had nothing to do with what we really made. It had horrible rock music inserted, stock footage from monster movies, a computer voice so bad (a hip disc jockey type, with dialogue written by a moron) that I wanted to vomit on the ground (our computer voice was Oscar-winner Broderick Crawford), and scenes just thrown in the air and then placed randomly in the movie, where they frequently make not a lick of sense. The original cut was completely linear and literally a musical comedy version of Alien and other monster on the spaceship movies. While the recut does have its fans, mostly people who came of age when it played frequently on cable, I've mostly been maligned and castigated for the travesty because, well, my name is on the film, not theirs.

But I had the foresight to have our 35mm answer print of the original version transferred to 3/4" video. While I'd intended to do more work on the film (and was not allowed to) at least I had that. I've thought about putting it out over the years, but didn't. But I've had so many requests from folks to see what we originally intended, that I thought - maybe now is the time. So, I went to my friend, the wonderful editor Marshall Harvey (he's edited many of Joe Dante's films) and I told him what I'd always wished I could have done - he watched it and their version, could not believe what they'd done to our little movie, and he went to work. We added music, sound effects, made trims, and by the end of it we came out with something that actually made me pretty happy.

As you know, doing all this work is not cheap, plus the DVD authoring and all the extras aren't either. We're doing commentary tracks, there's a trailer, a 24-bit version of the soundtrack and songs, stills, a four page color booklet and lots of other stuff. To that end, we're doing a little Indiegogo campaign to help off-set some of those costs. It's live now and we're already at 26% funded in just two-and-a-half hours! We've made a lot of fun perks, including signed DVDs, soundtrack packages, book packages, memorabilia from the film, associate producer credit in the booklet, executive producer credit in the booklet - well, if you have a moment and are so inclined just click on this handy-dandy link and there's a video to watch and you can read all about it and see if any of the perks are for you. Thanks for reading!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...Q5xQrDlexH1nid2dUC71j3sDVQttFq4i7cqIFs7fsa8#/

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Update: We're not even a full day and a half into the campaign and we just reached 73%! Come on in, the water's fine :) The Creature thanks you, and I thank you.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Update: Today we begin our third week - we actually met our initial funding goal in less than two days! Amazing. More amazing is that entering our third week we're at 167% - and to reiterate, every penny of that is going to this DVD - as you might imagine, the amount we were trying to raise was based on estimated costs and of course those have now gone up. The good news is we can afford to get Cindy Williams here for a commentary track, and we're going to have quite a few more extras now - the more we raise the more we can load up this DVD. So, check us out - I just put up a bunch of new perks, too. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...Q5xQrDlexH1nid2dUC71j3sDVQttFq4i7cqIFs7fsa8#/

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It would be nice if the OP updated the thread to reflect that he met his goal and the campaign is now closed.

Well, yes, Paul, it would be nice, but yet one can't because the edit button goes away after some amount of time and there's no way to update the page, just so you know.

Paul Watters

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Watters
Well, yes, Paul, it would be nice, but yet one can't because the edit button goes away after some amount of time and there's no way to update the page, just so you know.

At least now you have posted in the thread, members will know the campaign status. Thanks.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I remember reading about this in Starlog as a kid many years ago. I'll have to check it out.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm getting a check disc this Monday (the 22nd) - the packaging stuff is already at the printers and will be ready shortly. If I approve the disc this week, then we'll announce the title at the end of the week and we should have them within a couple of weeks of that - so, end of month or beginning of November at the latest.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
I recall this film being very entertaining. I think it my part of the world it was actually released under a different title.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I recall this film being very entertaining. I think it my part of the world it was actually released under a different title.

Yes, the producer's version came out under the title Spaceship, and when it came to DVD in that version it got a third title, Naked Space.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks