What's new

The check's in the mail! (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Parker, my comments were echo-ing Jim-C's
I was against putting little 'stars' or something by a member's name when they donated. To me it reminded me of the post count, but with such a small percentage of us donating, I'm changing my mind.
If you waited several months before you did it and explained what was going on, your next 'drive' would start all by itself. :)
Glenn

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Got my confirmation from Paypal tonight so mine is in the kitty too!
I'd have no problem with a yearly contribution, I can't remember when I sent the last one but this doesn't seem too soon - not when you consider what we all get in return.
I'm not very good with computers, but do all those images after peoples signatures not add a lot of extra stuff? And on the reviews, I know you've said the image resolution on the screen shots has already been cut but they still look fine to me - why not make them smaller & reduce the image further?
Anyway, thanks for all the help, reviews, fun and information,
;)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I can't remember if it was suggested before, but how about a fee for items sold in Hardware for Sale? A very reasonable 1% fee would bring in $10 per $1000 sold. If there were $1000 in items sold per day, that would bring in $3,650 per year by itself. I'd recommend the same for Software, but the administration of it might be too cumbersome.

(Of course, the income would be taxable, whereas I'm not sure if donations are exempt.)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
FYI:

We are know up to ~$4,200 in donations (this is again only Paypal donations) with about 217 people that have donated.
I will be adding mailed in donations next week.

Parker

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit I'm surprised by the small number of people that have donated. I know the 217 doesn't include mail donations but even if there was another 217 it's still only a very small percentage of the membership. It's a little disappointing.

About the stars next to the name...is there any way to make it work for HTF? This is probably going to sound stupid but post count envy makes people post just to boost their number. If there was such a thing as donation star envy do you think it might cause someone to donate to get that recognition?

I was right, it does sound stupid. :b

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The number of people does sound small(I will paypal something when i get home). I never got the newsletter even though my e-mail information is all up to date so maybe that happened to a lot of others. I also read the top for announcement things all the time. Im sure a lot of people dont. Maybe you should put a bigger notice on the main entrence page above the cruise ad or something so everyone sees it

capt

Andy Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Just sent sent my contribution via Pay Pal. My thanks to Ron and Parker and all the moderators for all the work involved with keeping my favorite website going!

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Perhaps this has been addressed in the past, before I got here, but in regards to the bandwidth expenses due to images, are the ones used by individual users in their posts a significant factor at all? I can appreciate why people like using them - they give a personal touch - but I wouldn't miss them myself.
I would like to know the answer to this one as well. I always assumed that images in sigs, where putting a bandwidth hit on the site that is hosting them and not the forum, but that is just an uninformed guess on my part.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Bandwidth is used on the host server that serves up the resource, be it HTML or an image. So if the image is not hosted by HTF, they don't get hit by the bandwidth use.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I sent mine. I could only send $10 now, but will send more once I transfer some funds into my Paypal account. I love this site and wouldn't know what to do if it shut down.

Thanks guys!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that less than 1% of the registered members have donated. Where is everybody else?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Realistically speaking, only about 5-10% of the total membership is really actively posting at any given time. So while we have tens of thousands of members, realize that we have many thousands who aren't nearly as active as you and I.

-Vince

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
All,
Since I am mostly a lurker, I'll talk with my money. I appreciate all of the more active posters who give me invaluable information. Glad I am able to help in some way. Check is in the mail.
If this was a tax deductable donation, I would give much much more. (hint hint) javascript:smilie(':wink:')
Oh, and special thanks to Ron, who opened my eyes to so many good movies with his reviews.
KenRen

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I'm sure Ron and Parker will appreciate even small donations.
I for one will be sending in more as soon as I sell of some items on eBay.
This is the most informative DVD/Audio site on the Net. ;)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I don't see there ever being more than 1000 donations. As Vince said, there is a small percentage of active members.

However, I don't think everyone knows about this donation drive. I didn't receive the newsletter, and when I visit this forum, I go directly to the thread subject lines in the white area while ignoring everything else on a page. I wouldn't have known about this if I hadn't visited this feedback area. Do the adminstrators have access to the number of views for the announcement threads? If not, I think it would be helpful to know how many people have read the donation announcement thread.

~T

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Thi:

It is interesting to hear that you never got the newsletter. Everyone that has the "receive email from the administration" enabled in their profile should have gotten one.

I think a lot to do with the lower member turn out is due to the time of year that we are doing this drive. Next time it will be during the late Spring or so.

As an update including all the mailed in donations and the Paypal donations to date we have had 257 members donate $5,000. That is really unbelievable to Ron and I.

I have mailed off a check to Travis to have the new servers built and they should be done in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again to all for your tremendous support for this forum.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks