What's new

It never rains in San Diego.... (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday was a really interesting day! You may have seen mention on the National news regarding the atmospheric river that hit SoCal yesterday? Well, it hit San Diego County especially hard. And, within the County, there was a 10 or so mile tall swath that got hit harder than the rest of the county, from the coast all the way to the mountains. Our home lies within that swath. This NWS satellite image sums it up.

i-6C6Zt7N.jpg

That was at 10:04 am on Tuesday. I received a Flash Flood Warning on my iPhone about 10:15 am. The rather long area of red moved on shore and moved directly over our area. By 10:20 am the rain was torrential. I've lived in San Diego almost all of my life and lived in our house for 35 years, I've never seen it rain like it did on Tuesday.

Our house is at the bottom of a long hill in our association. About 10:30 am, I opened our big garage door to evaluate conditions. There was a river of water flowing down our street, overwhelming the gutters at the outside curve (thank goodness our house is on the inside of the curve).

We have a personal weather station. Several months ago I carefully calibrated the rain gauge. I also compared its numbers to the numbers from the closest official NWS gauge and, trust me, our station's rain gauge is accurate. It recorded 4.21 inches of rain on Tuesday from 6:30 am until about 5:30 pm. Just 11 hours. However, the majority of it fell between 10:15 am and 11:00 am. We got about 2.5 inches in 45 minutes! INCREDIBLE!

What does that look like on a SoCal street in the foothills of San Diego County? Like this:

:oops::blink:

No damage or flooding in our immediate area. But low-lying areas nearby were affected. This is the gas station we frequent, about 2 miles away:

i-SbLwdHF.png

To the west of us, some low-lying areas were hit much harder. This is a 4-foot deep storm drain channel that normally has barely more than a trickle running through it.

i-r5fCxdD-X3.jpg

The water overflowed the banks of the channel and caused this.

i-9DDq2Mg-X3.jpg

Overnight, we received another .93 inches, putting the less-than-24-hour total (6:30 am - 3:30 am) at 5.14 inches. That is HALF of the normal YEARLY rainfall for our area!! All in less than 24 hours!

Like I said, it was an interesting day!

Mark

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
You have nerves of steel. That is very scary. I am very glad that you and your home are OK. My cousin lived in San Diego for many years and I visited often and never knew or heard of anything like this. Unprecedented AFAIK.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yikes! I'm in north, inland San Diego county. Relieved to say we missed out on the brunt of that! My rain gauge (not scientifically calibrated) showed 2 1/8 inches in 24 hours. Glad to hear you didn't sustain any damage.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I learned that the flooding at that gas station (photo above) got much worse. We had lunch in that area on Wednesday and, although the water was gone and the road was open, the parking lot next to the gas station was still filled with mud and debris. There were a couple of Bobcats being used to scoop up the muck and clean things up.

The owner of the restaurant we ate at, which is about a block away from the flooded area, said there was a river of water 5-6" deep running down the connecting street. It overflowed the curb and the water was licking at the side of his restaurant (which is next to the sidewalk). He said the giant puddle grew larger and deeper and that water was just inches from coming in his front door. He estimated that the giant puddle was about 6 feet deep at its lowest spot in the middle. Yowser! No wonder there was so much mud and debris around the gas station.

The storm drains became clogged. But, worse, our area received more rain in 45 minutes than some areas of our county received in 24 hours! Absolutely incredible!

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our next 10 days. :oops:

i-SF9FDK5-X3.jpg

Forecasters are saying it's possible we could get as much as 3.5-6 inches of additional rain. :oops:

Mark

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So much for that early 70s pop song It Never Rains In Southern California.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
If I hear any politician utter the word "drought" anytime soon, I'll scream.

Our water bill for December was the lowest units used in 35 years. Our irrigation system has been turned off since the end of November. Our January bill should be equally low.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
This week's rain forecast has softened. Now they're saying we could get 1-2 inches, maybe 2.5. We'll see.

More rain due next week too. The weeds on our back hill are loving it! :huh:

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We received only 1 inch of rain in the last 36 hours. More is expected starting Sunday night with rain predicted (on & off) through next week.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
It was definitely crazy rain up in Los Angeles. Some areas received more than 10 inches in less than 48 hours because the atmospheric river stalled over LA for two days.

The same was supposed to move down to San Diego on Monday/Tuesday but we didn't get anywhere near as much rain as LA did. At our house, we are at only 1.5 inches for yesterday and today. It seems the atmospheric river didn't stall over San Diego, it just slowly moved south and was mostly over Mexico by this morning.

That puts us (our weather station) at just shy of 9 inches for January and February. And February is just getting started!

Mark

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The storm definitely hit parts of CA very differently. Further north in the Bay Area there were reports of near-hurricane level winds. In my area of L.A. I don't think winds got over 10mph. However we had what I would classify as moderate rain (not a drizzle, not a full torrential downpour, somewhere in the middle) for seemingly 48 hours straight with very few breaks. The drainage systems in many parts of L.A. aren't built to withstand that much constant precipitation, hence the flooding.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
We got a lot of rain over the last few days, but last Thursday was the craziest. Like Mark’s OP, we got a crazy amount of rain in just 45 minutes. The bottom of the canyon below our house was reconfigured by a flashflood. We had a 20 ft wide rampaging river running in what is normally a 6 ft wide dry channel.

We had higher rainfall totals over the last 4 days, but it was spread out so the runoff channels were able to handle it.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The NWS issued a tornado warning in San Diego County on Tuesday. The beginning of the funnel cloud that formed (it never reached the ground) was about 5 miles from our place. My wife and I were in our car at the time and we saw the remnants of the dissipating funnel cloud after the alert came in on my cellphone. This is video someone else captured.

That was yesterday. Then, at 2:30 am this morning, a thunderstorm cell moved over us while we slept and cloud to ground lightning struck about 2 miles from our house. It was LOUD! It woke both of us up and really freaked out our cat.

More thunderstorms are possible tonight.

Mark

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
The NWS issued a tornado warning in San Diego County on Tuesday. The beginning of the funnel cloud that formed (it never reached the ground) was about 5 miles from our place. My wife and I were in our car at the time and we saw the remnants of the dissipating funnel cloud after the alert came in on my cellphone. This is video someone else captured.

That was yesterday. Then, at 2:30 am this morning, a thunderstorm cell moved over us while we slept and cloud to ground lightning struck about 2 miles from our house. It was LOUD! It woke both of us up and really freaked out our cat.

More thunderstorms are possible tonight.

Mark

Welcome to weather in the Southeast.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our personal weather station has recorded just over 10 inches of rain since January 1. We have more rain on the way next week.

I'm officially sick of the rain. We've had clear blue sky (but cool) the last few days. It can stop raining anytime and I'll be fine with it.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks