What's new

The Brady Bunch 50th Anniversary. Might we finally see a Brady Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Gilligan's Island didn't have those same problems on DVD, and there are multiple parties involved in the ownership of that.

I still can't believe that Paramount at any time in its history over the past 50 years would have pulled such a stunt like this, especially when The Odd Couple, Happy Days, and Laverne and Shirley didn't face that kind of treatment.

Love American Style
also got irreversibly cut up between network and syndication from what I've heard.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Gilligan's Island didn't have those same problems on DVD, and there are multiple parties involved in the ownership of that.

I still can't believe that Paramount at any time in its history over the past 50 years would have pulled such a stunt like this, especially when The Odd Couple, Happy Days, and Laverne and Shirley didn't face that kind of treatment.

Love American Style
also got irreversibly cut up between network and syndication from what I've heard.
In the case of Love, American Style, I believe the initial damage occurred when the series - especially the season 2 run (except for a few single- and double-segment half-hour episodes which still to this day have their original pre-ABC Daytime/syndicated opening and closing titles, which I last saw on the most recent Decades Binge which focused on this series) - was first prepared for reruns on ABC's daytime schedule in the fall of 1971.

~Ben

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I'm still upset that CBS/Paramount didn't remaster the Brady Kids cartoon series on their release. It still has the same faded picture the syndicated prints had on the DVD.
The only real difference being the replacement of the original customized Paramount Television logos after the Filmation logo with the CBS Television Distribution logo.

~Ben

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Because it's Star Trek, that's why.

S'what I thought-- I think what you're saying is that Star Trek is more revered and remembered in America's entertainment consciousness than The Brady Bunch, so they'll treat it better; that's what you mean, isn't it?

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Good Day. I was inspired to post this by the Classic TV in DVD Coming To An End thread since I’ve been recently viewing my Brady Bunch DVDs on this nifty new Naxa 22” portable HDTV (1080p). Makes for great DVD and Blu-ray (with added Blu player) watching while away from home on business.

Anyway I just watched two S4 BB episodes that I’d never yet seen (“Goodbye Alice Hello” and “Greg’s Triangle “) which thanks to DVD, I could watch. What fantastic episodes. Especially fun seeing Greg get the snow job from the cute cheerleader Jennifer angling to become head cheerleader (Greg was presiding over the selection committee). Problem was that Marcia was also trying out for head cheerleader as well.

Anyway other than DVD for now, is there really any other way to get TBB and have total control over what you watch and when you watch it?

As for a hopeful Blu-ray (or even HD streaming) release, still keeping my fingers crossed as September approaches.

Which begs a question. Couldn’t a HD streaming offering be set up on say VUDU with an option to purchase a MOD Blu-ray if so desired?

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I'm still upset that CBS/Paramount didn't remaster the Brady Kids cartoon series on their release. It still has the same faded picture the syndicated prints had on the DVD.
If you check on disc 2, the last few episodes that have the bumper at the start, those bumpers are in great quality. Sadly shows how awesome the series would have looked if they restored the episodes for the set.
This show was one of my holy grail titles. I love the snide retorts people make when conversing with Fleetwood.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Good Day. I was inspired to post this by the Classic TV in DVD Coming To An End thread since I’ve been recently viewing my Brady Bunch DVDs on this nifty new Naxa 22” portable HDTV (1080p). Makes for great DVD and Blu-ray (with added Blu player) watching while away from home on business.

Anyway I just watched two S4 BB episodes that I’d never yet seen (“Goodbye Alice Hello” and “Greg’s Triangle “) which thanks to DVD, I could watch. What fantastic episodes. Especially fun seeing Greg get the snow job from the cute cheerleader Jennifer angling to become head cheerleader (Greg was presiding over the selection committee). Problem was that Marcia was also trying out for head cheerleader as well.

Anyway other than DVD for now, is there really any other way to get TBB and have total control over what you watch and when you watch it?

As for a hopeful Blu-ray (or even HD streaming) release, still keeping my fingers crossed as September approaches.

Which begs a question. Couldn’t a HD streaming offering be set up on say VUDU with an option to purchase a MOD Blu-ray if so desired?
Greg's Triangle was the television debut of Rita Wilson, who ended up winning the cheerleader competition.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
S'what I thought-- I think what you're saying is that Star Trek is more revered and remembered in America's entertainment consciousness than The Brady Bunch, so they'll treat it better; that's what you mean, isn't it?

Yes, even though The Brady Bunch managed to last two years longer on network TV and did slightly better in the ratings.

They still need to get both The Brady Brides (1981) and The Bradys (1990) worked on...

~Ben

That may be easier said than done. The former was done entirely on film, but the latter was shot on film and edited on tape the way many late 1980s/early 1990s shows are. If they can remaster MacGyver, then I'm sure it's doable, but I'd be surprised if they did simply because I'd be surprised to see them go to the expense of remastering a flop, even if it was a sequel to a hit.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Yes, even though The Brady Bunch managed to last two years longer on network TV and did slightly better in the ratings.

That may be easier said than done. The former was done entirely on film, but the latter was shot on film and edited on tape the way many late 1980s/early 1990s shows are. If they can remaster MacGyver, then I'm sure it's doable, but I'd be surprised if they did simply because I'd be surprised to see them go to the expense of remastering a flop, even if it was a sequel to a hit.
I know The Brady Brides is of far greater significance than The Bradys as it was the very last time all nine original cast members from the original 1969-74 series appeared together!

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
And if there is anything I find about the fifth and final season of the series that they cheapened out on, besides the last-minute addition of Robbie Rist as Cousin Oliver, it is the end title sequence: they just pasted the season 3 end title audio (including that of the Paramount logo) under the season 5 end title visual!

~Ben

TV Fanatic

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Already available for pre-order at Target.com
90A73BF6-BF4A-4F18-9545-AEE9B512D323.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks