What's new

The Brady Bunch 50th Anniversary. Might we finally see a Brady Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Those cases aren’t wonderful from an ease of access perspective (terrible for cherry picking one-off episodes) but at least they condense a whole lot of discs into a small amount of shelf space.

I’ve yet to have a disc damaged by one of them but they are clearly better suited for people who watch a series in order from start to finish vs wanting easy access to individual episodes.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Even if you watch start-to-finish there are issues with those stacked disc pages. You'll either be removing some discs frequently to get to bottom ones or you'll have to leave discs out while those below are being watched. I can tolerate a single overlapping disc - it's inconvenient but not that bad. If I had to remove 2, or more, on the top stack and *then* one or more on the bottom to get to another disc I'd be saying bad things about the person who designed such a system. I think I'd rather deal with a couple of large spindles than these multi-disc spindle with overlapping disc affairs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, like I said, they’re not great. But if it’s a sitcom with eight episodes per disc and something where only one is watched a day, it’s not so bad - I just leave the one I’m watching on top of the case.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Even if you watch start-to-finish there are issues with those stacked disc pages. You'll either be removing some discs frequently to get to bottom ones or you'll have to leave discs out while those below are being watched. I can tolerate a single overlapping disc - it's inconvenient but not that bad. If I had to remove 2, or more, on the top stack and *then* one or more on the bottom to get to another disc I'd be saying bad things about the person who designed such a system. I think I'd rather deal with a couple of large spindles than these multi-disc spindle with overlapping disc affairs.

That's a great point! Truth is, however, that Streets was such a remarkable show (all three major players [Malden, Douglas and Hatch] contributing mightily to that]) that I was more than willing to overlook how difficult the packaging was to work with in this release, and therefore I have deemed it more than worth the money.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
They started doing that with Gunsmoke. I sold all my individual volume sets and replaced them with these other ones. It saved shelf space plus were cheaper than the season sets. Just waiting on seasons 13-15 to come out in one of these cases. But yeah, the cases are very flimsy and when you open it, discs start to fall out.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
They started doing that with Gunsmoke. I sold all my individual volume sets and replaced them with these other ones. It saved shelf space plus were cheaper than the season sets. Just waiting on seasons 13-15 to come out in one of these cases. But yeah, the cases are very flimsy and when you open it, discs start to fall out.

On which of the Gunsmoke releases did they start doing it-- the first of the big ones (the one with the first four half-hour gos)?

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Here are the amazon links for the first 2 sets that go from season 1-7. There are 2 more sets that go from season 8-12.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunsmoke-Sea...GP0GMW63X74&psc=1&refRID=3WG9R89C7GP0GMW63X74

https://www.amazon.com/Gunsmoke-Com...GP0GMW63X74&psc=1&refRID=3WG9R89C7GP0GMW63X74

Thanks for the links! Apparently I was incorrect on what I said to start-- that first big one was only the first four gos (39 half-hours for each of those, for a total of 156).

adomanim1

Auditioning
Real Name
adomaniw
Well folks, the 50th Anniversary of the 1969 premiere of the iconic TV series is fast approaching ( September 26th, 2019 to be exact). Will the powers that be (Paramount unfortunately) finally set for to release this Tutuapp 9apps Showbox all important TV series in high definition onto Blu-Ray?

Discuss.

View attachment 55321
There is currently a marathon on the Decades Channel. That is all. It is great!

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The former DecadesTV now Catchy Comedy is doing a binge of The Brady Bunch this weekend. Once again I consider buying the complete series set and the 50th Anniversary set looks very nice as it includes the sequel films and spin-off series.

But I’d be more inclined if a blu ray release is available. And if one were to come out, it’s likely only going to be the original series only. For this reason, the DVD set makes sense if one has never collected the Brady Bunch before and wants to collect The Brady Bunch.

I am very surprised by the recent releases of The Odd Couple and Gomer Pyle USMC on blu ray, both which I purchased, even though they still have the music edits. I already own The Odd Couple on the original DVD releases, but I was happy to upgrade. And I don’t own, but believe The Andy Griffith Show is also out on blu ray as is Hogan’s Heroes. This to me seems that the management at CBS does see a viable market for the classic series for an older audience or fans who simply want physical media in high def. So I’m considering again to buy The Brady Bunch 50th Anniversary DVD set and I am thinking, the above series has recently been released on blu ray, that The Brady Bunch could be one of the next series. Maybe Gilligan too?

There was talk earlier in this thread about I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith show not likely ever to see a blu ray due to the costs of putting a set together. Lucy is not out yet, but Andy is. My sense is the release of The Odd Couple and Gomer Pyle was done because it didn’t have anything new added to the sets like supplements. So it was a simple port over of the existing assets on the Odd Couple. I never owned Gomer before, but my guess is it was a simple port over.

So this gives me a sense that more series could be coming from CBS on blu ray.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The former DecadesTV now Catchy Comedy is doing a binge of The Brady Bunch this weekend. Once again I consider buying the complete series set and the 50th Anniversary set looks very nice as it includes the sequel films and spin-off series.

But I’d be more inclined if a blu ray release is available. And if one were to come out, it’s likely only going to be the original series only. For this reason, the DVD set makes sense if one has never collected the Brady Bunch before and wants to collect The Brady Bunch.

I am very surprised by the recent releases of The Odd Couple and Gomer Pyle USMC on blu ray, both which I purchased, even though they still have the music edits. I already own The Odd Couple on the original DVD releases, but I was happy to upgrade. And I don’t own, but believe The Andy Griffith Show is also out on blu ray as is Hogan’s Heroes. This to me seems that the management at CBS does see a viable market for the classic series for an older audience or fans who simply want physical media in high def. So I’m considering again to buy The Brady Bunch 50th Anniversary DVD set and I am thinking, the above series has recently been released on blu ray, that The Brady Bunch could be one of the next series. Maybe Gilligan too?

There was talk earlier in this thread about I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith show not likely ever to see a blu ray due to the costs of putting a set together. Lucy is not out yet, but Andy is. My sense is the release of The Odd Couple and Gomer Pyle was done because it didn’t have anything new added to the sets like supplements. So it was a simple port over of the existing assets on the Odd Couple. I never owned Gomer before, but my guess is it was a simple port over.

So this gives me a sense that more series could be coming from CBS on blu ray.
Gilligan's Island is via Warner Bros. (Turner).

~Ben

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had wondered if The Odd Couple blu rays were made from the same masters used on the DVDs as they look very much the same, color wise, except the blu rays are higher resolution. So I wondered if the same could be done for The Brady Bunch. My thinking was they didn’t spend any extra effort for The Odd Couple to remaster it. I never had the Gomer Pyle DVDs so I can’t compare, but I made the same assumption for how that blu ray release was made.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I had wondered if The Odd Couple blu rays were made from the same masters used on the DVDs as they look very much the same, color wise, except the blu rays are higher resolution. So I wondered if the same could be done for The Brady Bunch. My thinking was they didn’t spend any extra effort for The Odd Couple to remaster it. I never had the Gomer Pyle DVDs so I can’t compare, but I made the same assumption for how that blu ray release was made.
If I recall correctly, when they were assembling the material for the DVDs, there were several scenes where all they could find was material from 16mm syndicated prints. I don't know the reason, but I don't think this show has too many 16mm sources to make it even close to being worth doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks