What's new

The Big Bang Theory - season 3 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I told my wife it's going to Thursday, and her first thought was , "ugh, how will it compete with Survivor?".

I'm surprised that the actual day of broadcast still matters at all. In this day of Tivos and On-Demand, and NetFlix, do people still watch TV "live"? Fifteen years since "Must See TV", I wouldn't have guessed it still mattered if a show was on Thursday or Monday.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
It doesn't matter to me. In fact, there really isn't much I watch on Thursday (other than Survivor when it's on), so having TBBT there gives me something.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Two and a Half Men in danger now that Charlie Sheen is in trouble with the law? And I thought that Sheen himself didn't renew his contract for additional seasons on the show. It's been on a long time now, I would imagine CBS, while probably still supporting Sheen, can see the writing on the wall. If it ends after next season or whenever Sheen's contract ends, Monday nights could be over and they shift to Thursday night totally for the comedies.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Isn't Two and a Half Men in danger now that Charlie Sheen is in trouble with the law?

I don't think so. He's only going to get about 30 or 40 days, which will start soon and he should be out in plenty of time for the start of shooting. (And if not, they can probably do a couple of episodes where Charlie is out of town or missing - or in jail - at the beginning of the season.)

Sheen also just signed a new two-year contract in the middle of all of this. CBS is not going to dump a cash-cow like Men if it can avoid it, and they've got Charlie for at least a couple of more years now.

The usual reason for the kind of program move CBS is doing with BBT, which sometime work and sometimes don't, is to take a successful show and use it to "seed" a new night of comedy. The theory is that its current lead-in or follow-up show will be strong enough to survive on its own, while the hit can make the network more competitive on another night. (And I think BBT is more "counter-programming" for something like Survivor than it is a direct competitor. Do the audiences for the two show really overlap? I'm asking because I've never seen an episode of Survivor, or felt any desire to.)

Regards,

Joe

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Joe, I don't always keep up with the latest Hollywood news! I looked it up after I read your post. They worked out a deal. Must have been a negotiating ploy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

(And I think BBT is more "counter-programming" for something like Survivor than it is a direct competitor. Do the audiences for the two show really overlap? I'm asking because I've never seen an episode of Survivor, or felt any desire to.)

Regards,

Joe

Based on a sample size of one: yes :) My wife is an avid Survivor watcher and also watch BBT. Now, she got into BBT because of me, but she enjoys it as much as I do now. Perhaps related, I know people who watch that celebrity dancing show and BBT, suggesting that comedy and reality shows are not counter-programming. But I can only speak to my friends.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watch both Dancing with the Stars and BBT and I used to not miss HIMYM. Am watching HIMYM in re-runs now. But I detest Survivor.

The dancing is great because I see it as a athletic competition.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Apparently Charlie Sheen starts serving his 30 day sentence tomorrow, Tuesday June 7. With good behavior he could be out in 17 days - of which two (intake and release) would be only partial days. I doubt they'll have to adjust the shooting schedule for Two-and-a-Half Men at all. While "serving" his time, Charlie will be part of a work-release program(!) In his case that means coaching actors at a local theater company.

Regards,

Joe

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Don't be surprised if CBS makes the move before the fall season kicks off. They like to get returning series settled into new time slots early. This is standard operating procedure for them. They did it last summer with The Mentalist and I believe they may have already moved Medium to its new time slot (8 p.m.) on Friday. The CBS schedule is nothing if not habitual...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Ugh...I'm sorry, but Jim Parson's character (either the way it's written, the way Parsons plays him, or both) just grates on my nerves, and is the main reason why I tend to flip right past this show whenever he's onscreen, most of the time. A socially retarded manchild without balls or a clue.

Good on him for winning, but GODDAMN is Sheldon fucking annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks