What's new

The best hot dog stand? (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I can't imagine what one might order in a Paris bistro that could be improved by ketchup. :) Had you just ordered le hamburger - or a royale et frommage? ;)

Frankly, I'm surprised the waiter didn't slap you. :D

Regards,

Joe

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't anything fancy, could very have been hotdogs actually, as I remember ordering the following from some place: these enormous sausage links on a foot-long french bread.

The ketchup was for the fries. But yeah, he seemed genuinely offended.

--
H

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There's a burger place in New Haven CT that has a claim on the being the inventors of the hamburger (in the US) and there's a sign that says that they'll throw you out if you ask for ketchup.

I love ketchup and think it's pretty dumb to mock it. I once dumped ketchup on my filet mignon just to piss someone off. :D

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate fine foods, but as you can tell, I hate when people get appauled because I'm not doing things the 'snobbish' way. Like I'm white trash or something.Yeah, you gotta love those kinds of people. :rolleyes

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
H- man start the "Eye-Rolling Waiters" thread. I would have went and bought a Big Mac came back and chucked it at him but that's me. I'm very curious, what f..in' condiment am I suppossed to order at a French Bistro? Oh,and I love a few dashes of Tapatio on dogs.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
For me Mark, it is all that additional sugar in commercial ketchup that turns me off. I find that it makes for a very cloying taste—that does not really enhance anything.

Perhaps it is just me, but I no more want additional sweetness on french fries than I do on a baked potato.

And if you can afford ketchup on filet just to irritate someone else, you have more discretionary income than me. ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - Actually, I think it tastes great. But there again, people get SO appalled at it, like I don't know anything about 'good' steak. It's not like I do it all the time. It's just that I like ketchup and steak. And HELL, if you're gonna have steak and ketchup, may as well go with something good, right?

Jemac

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Born in Buffalo, moved to Rochester, NY, and now in the Tampa Bay, Fla area.

Let me say that there is absolutely nothing better than a foot long Ted's charcoal broiled hot dog from Buffalo NY. Absolutely nothing compares!

Those Sahlen's hot dogs (probably smoked)?, are the best of the best.

Boiled hot dogs are for baseball games, not for serious eating,folks!

I've routinely drove 120 miles on a Sunday, to delight myself on three charcoal broiled Sahlen's foot longers from Ted's.

My sister in California makes a special trip to Tempe Arizona (about 450 miles) with all her kids, for Ted's hot dogs.

If you never had any Ted's Charcoal broiled hot dogs, and live anywhere within 500 miles of a Ted's, you've got to try them. You won't be disappointed!

My preference is: three foot longs, browned somewhat more than average, with everything on them.

What a treat!

For my last meal on earth, (talking from here in Florida), it would be Ted's hot dogs, over any other meal on this earth! I only wish I didn't have to travel 1200 miles to get my Ted's.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
"There's a burger place in New Haven CT that has a claim on the being the inventors of the hamburger (in the US) and there's a sign that says that they'll throw you out if you ask for ketchup"

Must be a really old restaurant.

Wiki says..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburg...29%2C_New_York

"Every July, the Village of Hamburg celebrates Burgerfest to commemorate the invention of the hamburger in Hamburg at the Erie County Fair in 1885. According to local legend, Frank and Charles Menches were food vendors from Ohio that created a flattened meatball sandwich they called a "Hamburger" in honor of the town. Although other jurisdictions also claim to have been the location in which the "hamburger" was invented, Hamburg, New York is the only town whose name actually correlates with the name of the sandwich."

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
A flattened meatball? That just begs the question. Who the heck invented the meatball? Didn't the Italians make them for several centuries.

I can see it now. Someone invented the meatball as a "demi-meatloaf". Where will it all end. :confused:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Out here in the S.F East Bay area we have a couple of places called Kaspers and Caspers. I think they were started by a couple of brothers in the '30's who had a fight and split up (or something like that). Anyway, great hot dogs. And I put plenty of Ketchup on mine (and relish, mustard, tomatoes and a pinch of salt), and don't give a hoot what anyone thinks! The dogs at Costco are also pretty good.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Ay, that's the rub.

Other than the fact that the bun is too soft, the Costco dog is a deal. $1.50 for your choice of a Hebrew National dog or polish, 1/4 pound, with soda. Condiments include chopped onion, kraut, mustard, and ketchup (the last for barbarians).

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
My favorite hot dog place in the Chicago area is Gene and Jude's. It's about as no-frills as you can get -- the only things on the menu are hot dogs, fries, tamales, and drinks. And the only condiments offered for the dogs are mustard, diced onions, pickle relish, and sport peppers.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Here in Berkeley, people seem fond of "Top Dog"

Back where I grew up in NYC, we had Gray's Papaya a few blocks away. grilled, inexpensive, maybe not THE best but pretty damned good, especially at 4am after being out at the bars.

and BBQ sauce on ANYTHING rules!

;)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

Gray's Papaya dogs are still DAMN good, Dave, but they've gone up to a buck a piece (at least at the 38th and 8th location).

I'm a big fan of the dogs at Olde Heidelburg on the boardwalk in Keansburg, New Jersey. Their hot relish is terrific I also like the grilled Hebrew Nationals you get at the Meadowlands Racetrack (Hebrew National are my favorite commercial-brand franks).

I've been dying to get to Rutt's Hutt in Clifton, NJ for what they call a "Ripper" or a "Cremator," but I never seem to make it there...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks