What's new

The best hot dog stand? (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
That message thread about burger places makes me wonder--who has the best hot dog stand in the USA? :confused:

I know these stand out:

Nathan's Famous (original stand at Coney Island)
Papaya King (New York City)
Gray's Papaya (New York City)
The Varsity (original downtown Atlanta, GA store)
Superdawg (Chicago, IL)
Pink's Hot Dog (Los Angeles, CA)

I've eaten at Papaya King and Superdawg, and I might just try Pink's when I visit the Los Angeles area this summer. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don’t think that the wait is worth the dogs at Pink’s, but very obviously many, many others feel differently.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Lew, I've often passed by Pink's (it's in my neighborhood) when there's no one in line. At other times, of course, the line is formidable. At any rate, I've never tasted a better dog -- though a kosher market near me on Fairfax sells a nice brand that, when I've cooked them at home, certainly rivals anything I've tasted from Pink's.

Todd K

Second Unit
Anyone here familiar with the Ted's chain in the Buffalo, NY area? They'd get my vote: http://www.tedsonline.com/.

They use the local Sahlen's Hot Dogs, truly the filet mignon of frankfurters.

Others may give them a run for their money in the atmosphere/acccompaniments department, but I don't think anyone can beat the actual meat. (har har)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I don't think The Varsity is all that either. The hot dogs are good but it doesn't strike me as good enough to be one of the best in the nation.

The chili is thicker than I like and the fries are virtually dripping in grease. I got sick the last time I ate there.

NY Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni did a 9-day 15 state whirlwind tour of 42 burger/diner/hot dog places and in his article published on Wednesday rated The Varsity and Culver's in Texas as the top 2. Then again, he praised the cole slaw and onion rings...I don't like either so have never tried them.

There's a place called Cozeydog in Illinois that claims to be the original corndog. I've heard they're really good.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
PINKS!

Lew needs to go again.

Steamed buns, dogs made especially for them, chili to die for, grease by the bucket, designer dogs.

My favorite: The Huel Howser dog - a double dog on a bun with mustard, onions, chili and cheese. I get it with sauerkraut and some diced tomatoes on top.

Hell...I'm goin' for lunch today!

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

I can't believe that Mr. Bruni forgot to eat at Pink's in Los Angeles, CA, one of the most famous hot stands in the USA.

LewB

Screenwriter
The best dogs come from the few kosher deli's that still exist in NYC.
The dog MUST have a natural casing (intestine). It must sit on an aluminum foil covered grill for about half a day, then be slathered with mustard and kraut, or my favorite - cole slaw. Top off with a Dr. Brown's soda and that's living !
Unfortunately the Kosher deli seems to be slipping into history.
Nathan's used to be OK back in the day, but I think they stopped using the casing hot dogs.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Well, the ambiance is unique. The only thing I can stomach from that place is a frosted orange (kind of an orange sherbert shake).

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
It's all about Pink's. Take a box home for the freezer!!! When I read the title; I immediately thought of Pink's and knew a Jack reply would be within.

All we have here is a very old Mosher's deli which is well above average.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
We had some hot dogs for a cookout this weekend and we were discussing toppings...does anyone know if diced onions is an American thing? I always thought it was Cuban (or Dominican, I forget exactly where).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks