What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Koch Media BD (General Release Version):
View attachment 126638
ESC Editions BD:
View attachment 126639
Thanks - looks like ESC went for the glazed donut look for the general release version. Assuming this is accurate people should save their money and wait until another company steps up or the Koch release becomes available again.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Thanks - looks like ESC went for the glazed donut look for the general release version. Assuming this is accurate people should save their money and wait until another company steps up or the Koch release becomes available again.
You would need both Koch and ESC in order to get all the extras available for now.
But if you want the best presentation (for now) Koch Media BD is the way to go.

I also watched the film with a 2.0 Stereo track, (ESC Editions BD of the GRV) but it seems to be a downmix of the 5.1 track.
Go to Act 1 Epilogue (the part where Jim Bowie says "But he does know the short way to start a war".) Intermission music starts a little early (unlike the DC VHS/LDs/2000 EU/UK/AU DVDs) just like the 5.1 tracks on the (2000 US DVD/Koch Media BD).

More to follow, I hope...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
You would need both Koch and ESC in order to get all the extras available for now.
But if you want the best presentation (for now) Koch Media BD is the way to go.

I also watched the film with a 2.0 Stereo track, (ESC Editions BD of the GRV) but it seems to be a downmix of the 5.1 track.
Go to Act 1 Epilogue (the part where Jim Bowie says "But he does know the short way to start a war".) Intermission music starts a little early (unlike the DC VHS/LDs/2000 EU/UK/AU DVDs) just like the 5.1 tracks on the (2000 US DVD/Koch Media BD).

More to follow, I hope...
Thanks for going into so much detail. I have a big issue with giving a company money for some extras that only they have when the main attraction (the movie itself) is so obviously and needlessly inferior to another release that is derived from the same master that they had access to.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’m still missing the point here.

MGM has proclaimed that they hold a pristine original negative, which means that a simple scan, color and a bit of clean-up is all that’s necessary for a perfect product.

Time for them to create a domestic release from original elements.

Easy.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I’m still missing the point here.

MGM has proclaimed that they hold a pristine original negative, which means that a simple scan, color and a bit of clean-up is all that’s necessary for a perfect product.

Time for them to create a domestic release from original elements.

Easy.
They are probably just holding it back for the 75th anniversary...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
MGM will donate the pristine negative to the New Republic of Texas in 2036, in honor of the 200th anniversary of the First Republic.

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
After reading what Ed Lachmann wrote in another thread I checked if I could find any caps online for the ESC version. I found a cinefaniac review and the caps on the bottom of the page show proper grain structure and no filtering, this looks pretty much identical to the Koch version:

So if somebody is only interested in the short cut this seems to look pretty good. which is strange as the cap that SwatDB posted looks not as good as the Koch version.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
This reminds me of GB&U, I had the laserdisc, that apparently had the very best soundtrack, and waited patiently for 25+ years until the KL 4K release to get an improved version. I had The Alamo laserdisc extended cut, that friends said "Why'd you pay so much for an old movie" and here we are again being teased by MGM and Jeff Bezos. After seeing many excellent MGM DVDs freshly re-released* at DollarTree, I'm not sure Amazon sees much future in physical media. I've given up hankering for Blu-rays of The Abyss and The Mountains Of The Moon etc and laugh at the vagaries of this hobby and just take opportunities were I can.
*I assume MGM had thousands of excess DVDs that just needed cases and artwork in order to sell at DollarTree.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
This reminds me of GB&U, I had the laserdisc, that apparently had the very best soundtrack, and waited patiently for 25+ years until the KL 4K release to get an improved version. I had The Alamo laserdisc extended cut, that friends said "Why'd you pay so much for an old movie" and here we are again being teased by MGM and Jeff Bezos. After seeing many excellent MGM DVDs freshly re-released* at DollarTree, I'm not sure Amazon sees much future in physical media. I've given up hankering for Blu-rays of The Abyss and The Mountains Of The Moon etc and laugh at the vagaries of this hobby and just take opportunities were I can.
*I assume MGM had thousands of excess DVDs that just needed cases and artwork in order to sell at DollarTree.
What do you mean, “teasing us”? Is there a rumour it’s coming out?

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Magenta Faded 70mm Print (Found at thedigitalbits.com article: "The Alamo Under Siege")
#1 Magenta Faded 70mm Print.jpg

1992 Director's Cut VHS/LDs
#2 1992 DC LD.png

2021 ESC Editions Bonus BD (Same master as the 1992 VHS/LDs):
#2.5 ESC Editions Bonus BD.png

2021 Koch Media Bonus BD (720p AI Upscaled):
#3 Koch Media (Composite DC).png

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is no “teasing” occurring. An MGM exec has stated, apparently in opposition to the statements of someone they perceive to be either slightly batty archivist (or a danger to their stock price) that they hold the original 65mm cut and conformed camera negative of the cut version, in absolutely pristine condition.

I invite them to show off their wares publicly.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
There is no “teasing” occurring. An MGM exec has stated, apparently in opposition to the statements of someone they perceive to be either slightly batty archivist (or a danger to their stock price) that they hold the original 65mm cut and conformed camera negative of the cut version, in absolutely pristine condition.

I invite them to show off their wares publicly.
A judgment of God duel! There hasn't been one in so long. The one in Ivanhoe was pretty good. In gorgeous Technicolor as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks