What's new

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I guess the recent point of discussion is that if a very acceptable version of the extended cut BD was released in Germany, how about Kino looking into getting that version released here in the USA
I have that extended version, and it was not acceptable in my opinion.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It looks like Koch created that version by cutting the extended bits from the ancient laserdisc master into the HD master of the shorter version. I hate to be negative but I’ve got a copy and it doesn’t look as good as you might have been led to believe. But Koch did the work and that may not be something on hand that MGM can just give out. There was a recent French release and that just included the laserdisc master as is which leads me to believe that Koch isn’t sharing their Frankenstein’d creation.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I guess the recent point of discussion is that if a very acceptable version of the extended cut BD was released in Germany, how about Kino looking into getting that version released here in the USA
I will be Happy with a Bluray of the Theatrical version from KL. With the Extended scenes as Bonus Features !

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It looks like Koch created that version by cutting the extended bits from the ancient laserdisc master into the HD master of the shorter version. I hate to be negative but I’ve got a copy and it doesn’t look as good as you might have been led to believe. But Koch did the work and that may not be something on hand that MGM can just give out. There was a recent French release and that just included the laserdisc master as is which leads me to believe that Koch isn’t sharing their Frankenstein’d creation.
But if you are currently watching the laserdisc of the extended cut, having the majority of the movie now in HD and the extended bits upconverted is a really big improvement and maybe the best we will ever get that is where the praise is coming from. If you have never seen the laserdisc or extended cut before than I understand where the disappointment comes from. Its not going to look like a complete new remaster in HD.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I recall Mr. Harris saying that there was some way to produce an acceptable blu-ray of the extended version from what MGM had. I don't think he ever detailed what he had in mind, although he thought the general release version needed full restoration.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Decided to take a chance and snagged a copy of the French special edition blu-ray off Amazon this week, so I'll be curious to see how it looks.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Decided to take a chance and snagged a copy of the French special edition blu-ray off Amazon this week, so I'll be curious to see how it looks.
I think you should be very pleased with the short version. With regard to picture quality The Alamo looks really good but not as good as a proper 65mm image harvest would have allowed.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I think you should be very pleased with the short version. With regard to picture quality The Alamo looks really good but not as good as a proper 65mm image harvest would have allowed.
I have the Vudu Digital version I got last February. It looks Excellent ! :D Bluray PQ & Audio is Great.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I have the Vudu Digital version I got last February. It looks Excellent ! :D Bluray PQ & Audio is Great.
The new master has been around for a few years - it was already aired on HDnet in 2016.
So it was about time we got a Blu-ray and I am so happy that the longer version has been cut in there even though the resolution was homogenized to 720p.

Real Name
cremers andre
Bonjour j'ai la version Koch sur une tv sony de 43 pouce et je trouve l'image magnifique pour moi on aura jamais mieux.Merci a Koch

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I am not quite sure if people assume that the Koch version is also based on some recent work on the extended version but obviously it isn't so the parts from the SD master will look like - SD.

With that out of the way and no matter how one wants to call it the Koch version is vastly preferable to having to sit through the full length of the LD master in SD quality. It is hands down a completely different experience than having to sit through all of the old master.

Could it be better? Of course it could, but not even MGM seems to be willing to spend any money on the roadshow version and until then a longer version where at least most of the parts come from the new master is the best we have.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Please let us know.
Koch Media BD (General Release Version):
#2 2021 Koch Media BD (Best PQ).png

ESC Editions BD:
#3 2021 ESC Editions.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics