What's new

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Finally got my copy of the French blu-ray. Unfortunately, I don't have an all-region player, so I was unable to watch disc 1 with the HD version. However, I was able to play disc 2... kinda. It allowed me to watch the SD transfer of the 3:22 roadshow version and the 67-minute making-of featurette, but that was it.

I really need to get an all-region player.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Finally got my copy of the French blu-ray. Unfortunately, I don't have an all-region player, so I was unable to watch disc 1 with the HD version. However, I was able to play disc 2... kinda. It allowed me to watch the SD transfer of the 3:22 roadshow version and the 67-minute making-of featurette, but that was it.

I really need to get an all-region player.
I can only offer you a suggestion, purchase an all region player. It’s not that expensive and opens your world to so many other titles.

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
For those who’ve seen either version of the film recently ( I’ve not seen my theatrical cut dvd in years and my roadshow vhs was stolen) is there any problematic performances or scenes that would be considered racially insensitive?

If there are this would be a roadblock to release for Amazon/MGM.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I'm holding out for a Prime exclusive 4K UHD streaming of the extended cut. Like my friends back in the 90s I'm not sure how many of the Prime audience would get excited about that? If Prime doesn't release MGM movies newly remastered in 4K, what was the point in them buying it.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I can only offer you a suggestion, purchase an all region player. It’s not that expensive and opens your world to so many other titles.
I keep meaning to, because I've got a stack probably 30 titles deep at this point of UK and French releases on blu-ray that I need to finally watch. Just need to figure out what's the best outlet to buy the all-region player from. I've looked through Amazon before, but some of the reviews there make me doubtful of trusting some of the sellers. I wouldn't mind getting some suggestions for sellers and/or brands to choose from.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I keep meaning to, because I've got a stack probably 30 titles deep at this point of UK and French releases on blu-ray that I need to finally watch. Just need to figure out what's the best outlet to buy the all-region player from. I've looked through Amazon before, but some of the reviews there make me doubtful of trusting some of the sellers. I wouldn't mind getting some suggestions for sellers and/or brands to choose from.
I have 2 LG Region Free Bluray players and a SONY Region Free Bluray player. All from Amazon. They work Great ! Also 2 SONY 4K UHD Players from Amazon.
AASONY.png
AAASONY 4K.jpg
lg-bp220-region-free-blu-ray-dvd-player-110-220-volts.jpg

Last edited:

DBF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ashley

I can recommend 220 Electronics. This is the player I purchased from them:

It works great, and they do have other options as well.

BTW, here's a code for 10% off that is working as of right now: FCBLU10OFF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Aside from stonewalling film restoration and hastening the self-destruction of their own heritage, does anyone know exactly what an MGM board member does to justify either their salary or presence?

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

Bombay and 220Electronics are the two most trusted sources of players unless you have an easily modded OPPO unit which can be a simple DIY. THough honestly the Module now costs almost as much as a new player - $90 at 220Electronic seems to be the cheapest available now and that's the Internal Only version (plugin, no soldering, firmware stable)

Alternative might be some cheaper used Panasonic BD player which can play seemingly 85-90+% of the Region Locked Blurays with a simple button workaround. New one's including Pana 4K players also can do this, but not as cheaply if cost is a holdup

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Bombay and 220Electronics are the two most trusted sources of players unless you have an easily modded OPPO unit which can be a simple DIY. THough honestly the Module now costs almost as much as a new player - $90 at 220Electronic seems to be the cheapest available now and that's the Internal Only version (plugin, no soldering, firmware stable)

Alternative might be some cheaper used Panasonic BD player which can play seemingly 85-90+% of the Region Locked Blurays with a simple button workaround. New one's including Pana 4K players also can do this, but not as cheaply if cost is a holdup
I've had two Seiki secondary players with the simple button work around. The older Seiki no longer plays Blu-rays but DVDs are fine, the newer is fine (touch wood). Just before the pandemic (and ridiculous rise in international shipping costs), as the Seikis are no longer available the folks at the AVS forum recommended the LG BP250 purchased from Amazon UK. I purchased one as a backup player for $65 total. This is a simple player, using better quality parts than LG's US players, with no streaming features (a good thing) and a 240/120VAC power supply. The only additional item needed was a 240 to 120VAC converter plug, that I already owned.
Amazon UK are out of stock of the BP250 presently. Also the cost of international shipping has gone through the roof since March 2020, so the BP250 may not be as attractive a proposition.

Last edited:

aptiana

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Crawley
I managed to get a copy of the Koch set on ebay for ££££££. Looking for ward to seeing it again, the theatrical version that is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks