What's new

The Adventures of Superman (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

George Reeves was born George Keefer Brewer on January 5, 1914 in Woolstock, Iowa. He was the son of Donald Carl Brewer and Helen Lescher. The couple separated soon after Reeves's birth and Reeves and his mother moved several times before finally settling in California. There his mother met and eventually married Frank Bessolo who adopted George and changed George’s last name to Bessolo. That marriage only lasted 15 years.

Reeves began acting and singing in high school and continued performing on stage while a student at Pasadena Junior College. While studying acting at the Pasadena Playhouse, Reeves met his future wife, Ellanora Needles. They married on September 22, 1940, in San Gabriel California. They had no children and divorced 10 years later. Reeves's film career began in 1939 when he was cast as Stuart Tarleton, one of Scarlett O’Hara’s suitors in Gone With The Wind. After that, he worked for Warner Brothers where they changed his professional name to George Reeves. He also worked at 20th Century Fox. Both companies let him go after poor box office performances of his movies. He then appeared in five Hopalong Cassidy flicks and later appeared in So Proudly We Hail for Paramount Pictures.

In 1943 he was drafted by the US Army after enlisting and was later assigned to the U.S. Army Air Forces. He performed in the USAAF's Broadway show Winged Victory which eventually became a movie. At the end of the war, Reeves was discharged. Many studios were now slowing down their production schedules, with some shutting down completely. Acting roles were tough to find and Reeves was reduced to appearing in a low-end serial, The Adventures Of Sir Galahad and taking a second job digging cesspools. After moving to New York and appearing on live television anthologies, he returned to Hollywood and appeared in two notable films Rancho Notorious and From Here To Eternity with both pictures receiving a “best picture” award from the Academy.

In June 1951, Reeves was offered the role of Superman in a new television series entitled Adventures Of Superman. He was initially reluctant to take the role because, like many actors of his time, he considered television just a passing fad and believed few would see his work anyway. George Reeves took the plunge and his career as Superman began with Superman And The Mole Men, a film intended both as a B-picture and as the pilot for the TV series. Immediately after completing it, Reeves and the crew began production of the first season's episodes, all shot over 13 weeks on the RKO-Pathe stages and the RKO Forty Acres back lot. The Adventures Of Superman premiered on ABC in 1952. Kelloggs sponsored the show. Superman was filmed on a tight budget, about $15,000 an episode. Thirteen shows were shot over a two week period, a total of seven weeks a year.

I personally met Noel Neill (Lois Lane) and Jack Larson (Jimmy Olsen) several times and they told me George was a generous, polite and caring man with a great sense of humor. Reeves worked tirelessly to raise money to fight myasthenia gravis. He served as national chairman for the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation in 1955. Despite the tight shooting schedule, the cast members enjoyed doing the show and became good friends, occasionally socializing together at cookouts and the like. Reeves had a real affection for his young fans, and took his role-model as Superman, seriously. He avoided smoking where children could see him and he eventually quit altogether. He also kept his private life, including romances with Toni Mannix and Lenore Lemmon, from his young admirers. Reeves regretted he didn’t have more adult fans. Unfortunately, he never discovered that he did indeed have adult fans of his show, even during its initial run.

Between the first and second seasons of Superman, Reeves got occasional acting jobs in several TV anthology programs. He also appeared two feature films in 1953, Forever Female and The Blue Gardenia. However by this time, the Superman series was airing nationwide and Reeves found himself so associated with the series, that it was difficult for him to find other roles. Reeves, earned additional income from personal appearances as Superman, when not filming. He began tiring of the role by 1954 and wanted to leave the series and broaden his acting and directing horizons. Superman producers offered him a salary increase, and he returned to the series. He was reportedly making $5,000 (about $50,000 in today's dollars) per week, but only while the show was in production. Reeves established his own production company and conceived a TV adventure series called Port Of Entry, which would be shot on location in Hawaii and Mexico. Reeves wrote the pilot script himself. Due to lack of financing, this project never got off the ground. As the ‘50’s wore on, Reeves appeared in a Disney western, Westward Ho The Wagons, sang on TV with Tony Bennett and appeared as Superman on I Love Lucy. When on hiatus from filming, Reeves, Noel Neill, Natividad Vacio, Gene LeBell and a trio of musicians toured with a public-appearance show from 1957 onward.

In 1959, negotiations began for a renewal of the series, with 26 episodes scheduled to go into production. Contracts were signed, costumes refitted, and new writers assigned. Reeves now 45, was not anxious to reprise his role as Superman, but it did supply him with a decent salary and he agreed. Noel told me he was in good spirits and was promised more opportunities to direct several episodes. The show was now seen world wide.

As most of you know, George Reeves died under mysterious circumstances on June 15th 1959. We’ll leave it at that. Some info for this essay was obtained through Wikipedia.

By HTF Member John aka Sky King

While working in the lab, Dr. Edward Stanton (Griff Barnett) is kidnapped by gangster Lou Cranek (Dan Seymour) and two of his henchmen, Curley (Ben Weldon) and Al (Frank Orth). The Mind Machine is also taken. Senator Taylor (James Seay) and his “Crime Committee” are to shortly begin questioning Carl Wagoner (Harry Hayden), an accountant who had served as head bookkeeper for Cranek. Wagoner is cooperative at first, then suddenly claims to not know Cranek. This is a result of the Mind Machine in operation. This episode is, in my opinion, one of the standouts of the entire series. It has all the elements of a 1940’s movie cliffhanger. Action, suspense, great music, believable characters and drama all wrapped around a plausible story. By HTF Member John aka Sky King

Tech notes: I decided to insert the images for this photo essay at the Thumb-Size just as I did previously with The Face and the Voice because both prints are similar in quality. Neither are as good as Panic in the Sky where insertion at the Full-Size yielded good results. For those of you who can see a difference between the two sizes, (some of you cannot), please see the Tributes To Your Favorite Classic TV Stars thread where it has been posted at the Full-Size. Link will be noted at the end of this essay. Hope you all enjoy!​

S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-1.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-2.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-14.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-20.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-25.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-30.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-34.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-37.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-41.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-42.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-43.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-53.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-58.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-60.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-63.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-66.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-71.jpg S01E08 The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952)-72.jpg

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The following video clip was created by Superman George Reeves Historian Jim Nolt from the Jim Nolt YouTube channel. It’s all about the uncredited stunt doubles used for George Reeves as Superman in Adventures Of Superman. See also The Adventures Continue.

The Mind Machine (Nov.07.1952) contains appearances by Superman Stunt Doubles Cary Loftin and Dale Van Sickle.

Cary Loftin

I’d like to take a moment to thank John (SkyKing) for his fabulous contribution to this photo commentary!

See the Full George Reeves Tribute at
Tributes To Your Favorite Classic TV Stars

George Reeves and his Man of Steel will never be forgotten!​

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I believe Lucy and Superman was colorized back in 2015.

But colorization has come a long way since Gilligan's Island in the early 1990s which looks terrible compared to the color episodes. Just noticed that MeTV Is no longer showing them but Is showing the real B&W version. Maybe their rights ran out.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This is the Superman I really enjoy. He's not ridiculously over powered, has to make an effort to stop a falling plane or out of control bus, isn't a god floating around in orbit and seems like a genuine dude you'd be happy to chat with one on one. Frankly, he was more interesting this way. Reeves and Reeve made the character totally relatable as people.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
This is the Superman I really enjoy. He's not ridiculously over powered, has to make an effort to stop a falling plane or out of control bus, isn't a god floating around in orbit and seems like a genuine dude you'd be happy to chat with one on one. Frankly, he was more interesting this way. Reeves and Reeve made the character totally relatable as people.
Wonderful post! George forever made the role his own - the first season was great TV mini dramas and people were stunned to see Superman! The second season toned down the mayhem and murder and set the tone for the series - think of the show through the times of the 50s the scripts were fun and created the characters and the actors were golden! Says a lot that this show and a few others from the 50s have never been off the air. I love Lucy - Father Knows Best - Perry Mason and Superman - I cry for Mr Reeves GONE too soon.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
What is great about the screen grabs in the scenes where Mr R's takes flight no shadows of any rigs can be seen - Mr Larson was right some of the effects and the way they were done still hold up and look better than the multi million dollar effects.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You can chuckle at certain aspects of the show and its effects, but they really did put a lot of care into the flying scenes. They must have had kids gobsmacked back then.
They did (I was one of them) which is why Superman occasionally makes a special effort to remind kids on the shows that no one can do the things that Superman does.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
What is great about the screen grabs in the scenes where Mr R's takes flight no shadows of any rigs can be seen - Mr Larson was right some of the effects and the way they were done still hold up and look better than the multi million dollar effects.
That's because they used a springboard for him to launch upwards and cut away before he started to come down. When he landed, he just jumped off a platform into frame, landing on foam pieces.

The flying stuff was done via a "pan" that was molded to his body. He'd lay stomach-down on the pan while the crew moved him around using a large pole that ran under his legs. With his arms stretched out, it could look like the he was flying and because the pan was molded for his body, it could be hid under his costume.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That's because they used a springboard for him to launch upwards and cut away before he started to come down. When he landed, he just jumped off a platform into frame, landing on foam pieces.

The flying stuff was done via a "pan" that was molded to his body. He'd lay stomach-down on the pan while the crew moved him around using a large pole that ran under his legs. With his arms stretched out, it could look like the he was flying and because the pan was molded for his body, it could be hid under his costume.

1674856781362.png

Great stuff = but the first season they used wires to yank him to fly out of the frame his crashing to the floor in Ghost Wolf ended that and thats when they used the pan

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You can chuckle at certain aspects of the show and its effects, but they really did put a lot of care into the flying scenes. They must have had kids gobsmacked back then.
I was of the appropriate age when I viewed this show and I definitely believed that he was flying. I ran around with a bath towel tied around my neck, arms extended, "flying" through my home. Great memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks