What's new

the 4k players. (1 Viewer)

paul pisano

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
paul pisano
I am wondering when they will come down in price. They are still expensive IMHO. What is the actual difference in picture compared to Blu.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony UBP-X700 is $159.99, but would not recommend that model.

Panasonic DP-UB420-K is $199.99.

Sony UBP-X800M2 is $249.99.

The latter two are good choices. If you need Dolby Vision, then the Sony X800 is the one you want. It also plays SACD and DVD-Audio discs.

paul pisano

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
paul pisano
i find when you go into walmart you don't see them trying to push the technology. in the days of dvd you could go into a store and they would be playing a movie for people to experience dvd.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
i find when you go into walmart you don't see them trying to push the technology. in the days of dvd you could go into a store and they would be playing a movie for people to experience dvd.
The days of physical media are, unfortunately, coming to an end. If you want a disc player, you are better off ordering online from retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, Crutchfield, etc. Discount retailers like Walmart and Target have pretty much dropped physical media in most locations, and Best Buy is not that far behind.

paul pisano

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
paul pisano
Many of the stores have also dropped physical media due to the fact of theft. Walmart used to have a 5 dollar bin as well as a 3.75 bin as well. The pandemic did not help because all the merchandise had to be cleaned off each day. Imagine a bin with hundreds of discs. What I find surprising is that LPs are making a comeback.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Does the Sony UBP-X800M2 auto-select Dolby Vision? (I honestly have no idea.) If the answer is no, then you probably want to skip it and go with the more reliable Panasonic DP-UB820K for $399.98.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My local Best Buy has a single 4-way stand by the entrance with the entire line of physical discs they carry. There are probably 30 different titles there, most of which are Blu-ray versions of some tv show that I’ve never heard of. Target only carries the 10 most popular Marvel or a Disney (what’s the difference?) discs anymore and Walmart’s stock is laughable.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Does the Sony UBP-X800M2 auto-select Dolby Vision? (I honestly have no idea.) If the answer is no, then you probably want to skip it and go with the more reliable Panasonic DP-UB820K for $399.98.
If you’re troubled by the price, be aware that the same video section is used in Panasonic’s $1,100 player. By comparison, the 820 is a good deal.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It’s pretty amazing to me that the best option for a 4K player after all the years 4k has been around is still $400.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’ve had the Sony in my Amazon cart saved for later for years and I’ve seen it jump under $200 once and often hovers around $300+

My old Sony player still works fine but doesn’t have DV.
As I stream about 98% of the movies we watch now I probably won’t be gett8ng a new player anytime soon.

paul pisano

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
paul pisano
seems like the way to go is online shopping when it comes to dvd/blu-ray discs.

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
I'd like to ask Todd Erwin (or anyone else for that matter) why to choose the Sony 800 over the 700? My Blu-ray player died and I've looking at those two models. The specs seem very similar. I can afford the more expensive one (800/M2) but I am not sure if you are getting much more value for more money.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I'd like to ask Todd Erwin (or anyone else for that matter) why to choose the Sony 800 over the 700? My Blu-ray player died and I've looking at those two models. The specs seem very similar. I can afford the more expensive one (800/M2) but I am not sure if you are getting much more value for more money.
I have had both the 700 and the 800. I started with the 700 which was good but ran into a few issues, mostly with sound synch and occasional problems with Dolby Vision. I replaced it recently with the 800 and have been impressed with the improvement in image processing as well as better audio. The 800 is also more impressive in terms just basic build.

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
Thanks Jim Tod. I do play CDs a lot and have a 5.1 speaker system so better audio does sound appealing to me. Does the 800 have any features missing on the 700?

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Sony UBP-X700 is $159.99, but would not recommend that model.

Panasonic DP-UB420-K is $199.99.

Sony UBP-X800M2 is $249.99.

The latter two are good choices. If you need Dolby Vision, then the Sony X800 is the one you want. It also plays SACD and DVD-Audio discs.

I've had my X700 for several years and it's been just fine... so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks