What's new

Stoopid 4K Blu-ray question (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
My Blu-ray player just crapped out. I do not yet have a 4K TV (I know… hopefully this year). Anyway, if I buy a 4K Blu-ray player, can I play regular DVDs and Blu-ray’s on my 1080 HD TV? I don’t want to have to buy a regular Blu-ray player and then a 4K one months later, when I finally bump up to my dream OLED 77 incher.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Any 4K disc player will also be backward compatible with BD and DVD. As for how much you need to spend on a player, it depends on what type of 4K display you eventually end up with. If you buy a display that supports Dolby Vision, then a Panasonic 820 player is probably your best bet. If you buy a Samsung display or a front projector, you will not need Dolby Vision support, as those displays do not support DV, so something less like a Panasonic 420 would work.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Agreed with Scott. Those two players really are your best bet. There isn't much to choose from, to be honest, and the Sony players are... funky. And yes, to get a full featured player, like the 820, it'll be about $400. The days of cheap players and media seem to be in the past.

And I would get a 4K player. That's what I did back before I had any 4K displays, so I could start buying 4K releases and be ready for the upgrade.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
And I would get a 4K player. That's what I did back before I had any 4K displays, so I could start buying 4K releases and be ready for the upgrade.
Yes, that's what I was hoping. I had been buying combo Bluray/4K discs for awhile in anticipation of eventual upgrading. So yeah, I'll buy the 4K player first if it'll still work on my ancient Laservue projection set. The TV I have been eyeballing is the 77" LG C3. About a month or so ago Amazon had it on sale for a surprisingly low 1799.00. After getting the ok from the wife as I was headed out the door for work, I went to buy it a couple hours later and it was back around 2300. Talk about a Flash Sale! I was very depressed! So, anyway, that is the set I have been thinking of getting. Money is pretty tight right now, but I need a player... Guess I will check out that Panny 820. Thanks, Guys!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've been using the Panasonic 420 for several years now to play all formats to my 1080 displays. Works great.

My first 4K player was a Samsung, but it was kind of glitchy. No issues so far with Panasonic.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
You can get a Sony or Panny UHD player for at or just under $200, at a Wal Mart (hopefully they’re still in stock in their stores)- I bought a couple of backup players from there last year.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd suggest sticking w/ a Panasonic as well (even though I've had my issues w/ their BD players in the past).

I've also had a Sony 700 as my 1st 4K player that worked just fine though the UI is definitely (very) clunky, perhaps especially if you wanna use Dolby Vision, but many seem to run into playback problems w/ their players, especially the 700 -- and I'm certainly not their fan in the past either, but only went w/ the 700 because it was cheap (for ~$150 on sale) and Panasonic had nothing under $500 (w/ their 820) at the time ~5-plus years ago. My current player is the Panny 420 (since I don't need DV for my FP setup), which I bought when it first came out (a year later) and was on sale for ~$150 IIRC -- I basically gave the old Sony away and not sure if it's still working perfectly fine.

_Man_

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have a $200-ish Sony x700, which I use on my 1080p display

I’ve had zero problems

One advantage to having a 4K player is you can watch the 4K discs themselves (which get down-rezzed to 1080). This allows you to view the new master (often the included Blu in a combo is the older master)

I intend to keep my 1080p display, since it is also a 3D display (living in an apartment, a projector isn’t really an option)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I haven't tried using my Panny 420 to downrez for 1080p output, but the Sony X700's UI is even clunkier if you need to use it that way and wish to tweak/optimize its HDR->SDR downconversion. But if you don't need the HDR->SDR downconversion for long, then it's probably not much an issue...

_Man_

Real Name
mattbuffalo
I'd suggest sticking w/ a Panasonic as well (even though I've had my issues w/ their BD players in the past).

I've also had a Sony 700 as my 1st 4K player that worked just fine though the UI is definitely (very) clunky, perhaps especially if you wanna use Dolby Vision, but many seem to run into playback problems w/ their players, especially the 700 -- and I'm certainly not their fan in the past either, but only went w/ the 700 because it was cheap (for ~$150 on sale) and Panasonic had nothing under $500 (w/ their 820) at the time ~5-plus years ago. My current player is the Panny 420 (since I don't need DV for my FP setup), which I bought when it first came out (a year later) and was on sale for ~$150 IIRC You can get-- I basically gave the old Sony away and not sure if it's still working perfectly fine.

_Man_
I think I've got a fairly good set-up. But I'm playing 4k discs and I get stutters when the camera pans. To begin with I just assumed it was normal...and it's just how 4ks are. Decent picture and audio...with slight stutter cause of the high quality.
But it's starting to drive me mad a bit. I was sitting back to watch my 4k of scarface and the stuttering just took me out of it. Surly this isn't the quality everyone raves about.

I've already tried new HDMI cables....and it's the same for all of them. So I've ruled out that.
I've turned off the stupid tv settings (motion smoothing, etc)
Maybe there's a setting I'm missing?
Or maybe it's just my TV?

my set up is:
Sony Bravia AF9 65 inch
Panasonic UB9000
Sony A9 speakers
Kabledirekt ultra high speed HDMI cables

Any help would be grateful. But I apologise in advance if this is just the norm and I just need to get used to this stuttering.

Admin please move this thread if I've not posted it in the correct place.

Thank you

sinadolat

Auditioning
Real Name
Sina Dolat
Yes, you can definitely use a 4K Blu-ray player with your current 1080p HD TV and play regular DVDs and Blu-ray discs. Most 4K Blu-ray players are backward compatible, meaning they can play standard Blu-rays and DVDs, and they will usually upscale the video to look better on your HD TV. This makes it a smart choice if you plan to upgrade to a 4K TV like a 77-inch OLED in the near future—you won’t need to purchase another player. As for the cost, you don’t necessarily have to spend $400 on a 4K Blu-ray player. There are several quality options available from reputable brands like Sony and LG that are in the $150-$250 range, which will support both your current setup and your future upgrade to a 4K TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nalandaretreat
Recent bookmarks