What's new

Power cord orientation and Blu-Ray player - does it matter? (1 Viewer)

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Hello!
I recently got a Panasonic UB820 blu-ray player. It's a great machine once I get it going, but when I turn it on it just freezes with the Welcome! screen until it turns itself off several minutes later. I've tried unplugging, resetting...nothing seemed to help. I contacted the vendor and was told it's possible that the power supply could be at fault...I disconnected the power cable from the back of the player, turned it around and re-plugged. Now the player is behaving normally. Is this really possible? Did I have it in there backward?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you certain you're using the power cord that came with the player?

I don't remember if it's a polarized one, in which case it can't be inserted the wrong way into the player. If it's not polarized, it doesn't matter.

Fortunately, I have an 820 sitting on the floor in my HT, and I can check when I get home.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
That cord is a polarized one and can really only be inserted one way. It's possible you had in the wrong orientation the first time.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That cord is a polarized one and can really only be inserted one way. It's possible you had in the wrong orientation the first time.
That shouldn't be possible with a polarized cord and jack. You'd have to use a non polarized cord to be able to reverse the intended polarity.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hello!
I recently got a Panasonic UB820 blu-ray player. It's a great machine once I get it going, but when I turn it on it just freezes with the Welcome! screen until it turns itself off several minutes later. I've tried unplugging, resetting...nothing seemed to help. I contacted the vendor and was told it's possible that the power supply could be at fault...I disconnected the power cable from the back of the player, turned it around and re-plugged. Now the player is behaving normally. Is this really possible? Did I have it in there backward?
I just read your post again, and realized you are using the wrong power cable. As has been mentioned, the 820 uses a polarized figure-8 cable, which can only be connected one way. However, a non-polarized figure-8 cord can be plugged into the player, though it shouldn't be used, because the polarity can be wrong.

They are very similar, but there's a crucial difference. The polarized cable has one round and one square side, and the non-polarized has two round sides.

The cord should look like this...

410801.jpg

Not like this...

76711.jpg

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I just read your post again, and realized you are using the wrong power cable. As has been mentioned, the 820 uses a polarized figure-8 cable, which can only be connected one way. However, a non-polarized figure-8 cord can be plugged into the player, though it shouldn't be used, because the polarity can be wrong.

They are very similar, but there's a crucial difference. The polarized cable has one round and one square side, and the non-polarized has two round sides.

The cord should look like this...

View attachment 210668

Not like this...

View attachment 210669
Wow...Thanks...I wonder how I got the wrong cord. But I've discovered by reversing it the player works perfectly ,so I guess problem is solved.....

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wow...Thanks...I wonder how I got the wrong cord. But I've discovered by reversing it the player works perfectly ,so I guess problem is solved.....
You can get the correct, polarized figure-8 cable for a few $. It's probably worth it, just to be certain it's hooked up right.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Or just mark the sides of each end - on the player end, mark the side that should be squared off and then on the plug side mark the side that goes into the wider portion of the outlet. By doing that you'll be able to get the correct polarity without experimentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks