What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
35000 posts!

35k-35000-thank-you-3d-260nw-1372913204.jpg

And 3-million+ views. With the new software, I don't know how to get a more accurate accounting of that.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
That's the spirit Mike. Escape! Escape from reality. Escape from this madness! Headlines over here the PMs chief advisor was caught breaking lockdown with 'symptoms of the virus' he traveled 200 miles to visit his parents. There are calls for him to resign. This government doesn't practice what it preaches. Why should we blindly follow what they tell us? Shambolic is the word.

35,000 posts!! I thought that was your post count Mike and was impressed and than I saw your real post count, jeezus! :)

We celebrated 1000 testy posts nearly 20 years ago, and thought that was amazing, and here we are with 35,000 posts. :biggrin: :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_vulcan:

Rio Bravo 54.jpg

Rio Bravo dfdf.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
How's everyone? Keeping safe?

I managed to find a couple of books online by film critic John Simon, anyone heard of this critic? Probably the nastiest that ever existed, but he had his followers. Simon died in 2019, aged 94.

He rarely had a good word to say about any film. He called 2001 A Space Odyssey a "A shaggy god story", "a regrettable failure, although not a total one".

But it's his description of actors and actresses that raised the most eyebrows and a number of complaints, if an actress wasn't attractive he will mention it in his review and sound bitter about it too. Barbra Streisand was a target in a number of reviews. Here's a sample from his review of Hello Dolly (1969) -

"A full-face closeup of Miss Streisand is a truly terrifying experience: as the camera moves in tighter and tighter, you know how Edmund Hillary must have felt, and there is no Tenzing Norkay to catch you if you slip, or just reel backward in horror. As for the star’s acting, Machiavelli observed in a letter: “I think that just as nature has given everyone a different face, so she has given to all a different intelligence and imagination, and each acts according to this personality.” Miss Streisand, perhaps because she lacks intelligence and imagination, is obliged to act according to her face—aggressively, smugly, and with a masturbatory delight in herself."

And John Simon reviewing Myra Breckinridge (1970) -

"Still another dimension in horror is the casting and display of Mae West, fully clothed,and perfectly mummified, as a nonstop sex talker and performer, playing endless sexual prologues and epilogues with young men who allegedly service and even desire her. These scenes are exquisitely stomach-turning. Miss West, who is seventy-eight, but according to the Times “looks years younger" (well, maybe two), was bedizened with a couple of feet of platinum wig, yards of ermine and white satin, and more solitaires than you would think it possible to fit on ten shrunken fingers.

Yet I had the feeling that there were people of all ages in that adoring throng who would have gladly crawled into bed with her. I cannot, so shortly after struggling to analyze Miss Streisand’s appeal, be expected to undertake the analysis of Miss West’s. But I suppose it must have to do with her death-and-menopause-defying act, with the sweet notion that Americans might still enjoy the benefits of a full sex life in Forest Lawn, lucky stiffs that they are.

A further minor though distinct horror is the presence of Rex Reed in the role of Myron. I had hoped that this campy butterfly and selfstyled critic—who was cast, I am told, so as to make certain things about Myron obvious without the script’s having to spell them out— would at least be able to portray himself on screen so that, on the strength of his success, we would be rid of him as a writer. No such luck. Reed’s movements resemble Birnam’s toward Dunsinane, his lines dribble from his mouth like moist mashed-potato mix, and his facial play is a permanent pudgy pout. In short, his acting is on a par with his writing. "

:blink:

:laugh:

Raquel Welch Myra Breckinridge.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I haven't seen it either. Russell probably has. It might be worth a look for Raquel Welch not mummified Mae West [cue gasps] oh come on, John Simon started it [points] .

Avengers ,The 1998 rt.jpg

Uma Thurman Be Cool.jpg

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I viewed it (Myra Breckenridge) a long time ago and it is a train wreck. I don't recall much about the film, but it was not very good. Sometimes trashy, cult type films can be enjoyable on their own terms, but that wasn't the case for me with this title.

- Walter.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Naomi Watts starred in Mulholland Drive, I watched that movie once a long time ago. I remember Jack Briggs was a huge fan, it might even have been his favorite film at one time with Space Odyssey knocked down to no.2. [cue gasps] Somewhere in this labyrinthine thread Jack talks about his favorites. if only there was an easy way to find that post. :unsure:

While We're Young er.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've successfully used the search function and got results, woohoo! Jack Briggs mentions Mulholland Drive being his favorite but not in testy, he started a thread about it 10 years ago -

I need to watch that film again and see why Jack loved it so much. But then again, Jack went gaga over Zardoz.... hmmm...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I remember Mulholland Drive being great. Not my favourite Lynch film, but I like all his stuff. Well, maybe not Inland Empire so much. I should watch that one again.

Every time someone mentions Mullholland Drive I have to check IMDB because I ALWAYS think people are talking about MULLHOLLAND FALLS. That one was pretty good too! No?

1591464523791.png

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Mulholland Drive is without a doubt on my personal list of the top five films of all time. And Ms. Watts is exquisite.

https://pa1.narvii.com/6369/8e0ee6dd31bf85039a4a316e7de6ca99947e3ede_hq.gif

https://www.questrider.com/images/nwatts_mulhollanddr_01.png

https://www.questrider.com/images/nwatts_mulhollanddr_02.png

https://www.questrider.com/images/nwatts_mulhollanddr_04.png

#mulholland drive from There, there

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Things keep getting strange. The ski mountain above Boise got 7" of new snow overnight. The mountains are white above about 5,000 feet.

Reports are a similar amount will fall tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.