Testy Area 51

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I wore one of those masks briefly a month ago, couldn't breathe properly, had to take it off. I can't imagine wearing that for more than 2 hours at the cinema, too uncomfortable.

Droogs, I went to MacDonalds, first time in ages! [cue cheers and whistles] My order - Big Mac, 2 large fries, 9 nuggets, a hamburger and barbecue sauce. Pure greed. I threw away most of the fries and the hamburger was completely unnecessary.

The girl who gave me the order wore a mask and gloves, see, we're not all barbarians here in Brexitland. :D

I eat just once a day, usually mid day. I read somewhere that going without food for 15 hours each day is an effective way to reverse type 2 diabetes. And lose some weight too. In the evening I may eat some fruit.

The Fifth Element.jpg

RIP Ian Holm

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Wearing a non-medical mask decreases the chance of you catching/spreading covid-19 by about 5X. It's literally the least you can do. But people don't like them/wont wear them. I'm fine with Covid-19 becoming an extinction event. Why not?

As far as theaters, wear a mask until you get to your seat is in theory safe. That said, Covid is known to spread via air conditioning. Not worth he risk for me. Especially with how shit the mainstream theaters are customer wise. Maybe the arthouse if/when it opens.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think it’s going to take a proven vaccine to get me back to a theater or a restaurant.
Since it's a flu strain, I don't know if a vaccine is possible? I think the best we can hope for is a proven treatment, but some of those recovery stories are horrors of their own. :S

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Since it's a flu strain, I don't know if a vaccine is possible? I think the best we can hope for is a proven treatment, but some of those recovery stories are horrors of their own. :S
Actually SARS-Cov-2 is similar to the common cold coronavirus, for which no vaccine has been developed. But IIRC that's because the cold virus mutates quickly. I get a flu shot every year and they appear to be effective.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I was struck by the fact that Peter Sellers had died at the young age of 54. I decided to read up on this. His fatal heart attack was his 15th. He'd had a series back in 1964 when he was only 38. Now I found an article that says he went with psychic healers after this first event.

Is this really true, or is this guy making it all up?

At the end of this article, this doc posts a list of all of Sellers' bad health habits.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Interesting links Dennis, not sure what to think, that might all be bunkum. It's possible people are born with defective hearts that will malfunction on them eventually. A ticking time bomb.

I've read somewhere that we all have cancer cells waiting for a chance to kill us. Scary eh?

Depressing? Okay.. I saw on the news that Washington DC will be America's 51st State. Is that really happening? A shame because '50' was a nice round number. :)

Did you know that Texas was a country before becoming a state? I didn't until a week ago. The Republic of Texas 1836-1845. And bigger than any country in Europe. :cool:

Virus update UK - the official death toll is 36 in the last 24 hours, no covid-19 deaths in Scotland. There were over a thousand deaths a day in April so hopefully the worst is behind us, unless there's a second wave.

Passengers jj.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Okay so it may not happen, thanks Johnny Angell. 'Played with Dinosaurs'? 'Dances With Dinosaurs' might be cooler, or maybe not. :)

Droogs, my nephew sent me a pretty good copy of Song of the South, don't ask me where he got it from, sometimes it's better not to know.
It's not a great film but the way things are going it might never get a decent release. Come on they nearly banned Gone With the Wind for christou's sake! It ain't fiitin' it ain't fittin' it just ain't fittin'... oh fiddledee dee... frankly Scarlett, I do give a damn!

Song-of-the-South.jpg

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
A great history on everything Song of the South is the YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS podcast series on it. Highly recommended. SOTS is dull as heck in the live action bits, but I do love the animated chunks.

And too be fair, GONE WITH THE WIND was never at risk of being banned, it just got one of those race sensitivity warnings on it that anyone that watched old cartoon DVDs are familiar with. I do love the idea that a bunch of non GWTW fans bought up copies to prove a point and are now stuck with the 4 hour yahn fest.

Reactions: Walter Kittel

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Russ al Ghul, the first time I saw Gone With the Wind I was a teenager and it bored the shit out of me, I was comparing it to Enter the Dragon and it didn't stand a chance. I hated Scarlett O'Hara. But over the years I watched it many times and it grew on me and it's an old favorite now.
I'm more likely to yawn thru 12 Years a Slave than Gone With the Wind.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Django Unchained would be my go to haha. I've been bored by GWTW every time I've seen it. I can appreciate the technical aspects of it, but boy, that melodrama is hard to sit through and the burning of Atlanta isn't worth the 100 hour running time.

You know what I watched recently and really liked? True Detective Season 3. Pop culture seemed to bag on the series after celebrating season 1, but three was really good. It might have a career best performance from Stephen Dorff, another guy that seemed to be getting a big push but never really landed. Season 3 also had a pretty good story telling gimmick. I'd recommend it.

Other series I really liked was THE LAST DANCE on the Chicago bulls. I've never watched a basketball game in my life. What a world!

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Django Unchained would be my go to haha. I've been bored by GWTW every time I've seen it. I can appreciate the technical aspects of it, but boy, that melodrama is hard to sit through and the burning of Atlanta isn't worth the 100 hour running time.

You know what I watched recently and really liked? True Detective Season 3. Pop culture seemed to bag on the series after celebrating season 1, but three was really good. It might have a career best performance from Stephen Dorff, another guy that seemed to be getting a big push but never really landed. Season 3 also had a pretty good story telling gimmick. I'd recommend it.

Other series I really liked was THE LAST DANCE on the Chicago bulls. I've never watched a basketball game in my life. What a world!
Season two of True Detective was something of a drop off from season one, but I didn't hate it and enjoyed Colin Farrell's performance in the lead role. Stephen Dorff is an actor that I've always enjoyed in roles such his scenery-chewing Frost in Blade or his role as Skip in the under appreciated City of Industry. Of course, those are fairly early roles in his career and I sort of lost touch with his work. He was excellent as was Mahershala Ali in season three of True Detective.

- Walter.

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
One of the guys in my college dorm had a large reticulated python, which he named "Mortimer". We would sit in the dorm's lounge reading and let the snake slither among us. It wasn't all that odd to have Mortimer go up my arm and around my back. IIRC Mortimer was about the size of the snake you posted above.