What's new
World Wide Stereo

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I think it's more likely they just don't have quality weather-predicting rodents.

I never thought about that before, though. I suppose Groundhog Day (one of my all-time favorite movies) probably didn't do too well outside the U.S., huh?
The commie rag published this very favorable retrospective. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/feb/07/groundhog-day-perfect-comedy-for-ever

Roger Ebert noted that

A long article in the British newspaper the Independent says "Groundhog Day" is "hailed by religious leaders as the most spiritual film of all time."

I have the same problem. Every morning I wake up and find that I've never watched the film "Groundhog Day".

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
We are familiar with Groundhog Day here in the UK. Funny film, silly real life event. [cue mild hurrumphing and a snort]

Clever film and funny too, not one I watch often because the sheer repetition of events no matter how clever get's wearying, ditto the first half of Tom Cruise sci-fi Edge of Tomorrow. I'm itching to skip chapters and get to the meat of the story.

It's Oscar day droogs! Celebrating films we'll watch once, maybe twice in our lifetimes! Yay! :D

I'm hoping Black Panther wins Best Picture, chances are nil I'm afraid, it's too enjoyable, hence unworthy of accolades.

I've found a video for Dennis, Oscar Winners Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone discuss British slang. (Hard to believe but Rachel is 18 years older than Emma, old enough to be her mum. (US = mom))

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
And here I display a photo of my moggie.

Haynes workshop manuals generally contain a useful cross-reference between British English and American English, e.g. spanner/wrench. The really odd word is "paraffin", which describes candlewax in the US but what we call kerosene in the UK. Haynes manuals tell you to wash greasy parts in "paraffin".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
LOVED that video, Steverino.

Most of those I actually hadn't heard before.

And, I think Emma Stone is pretty cool. (I never would have put Rachel Weisz as 18 years her senior.).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Grab your torches from the boot and get out your crisps, I got the Oscar fever!

I enjoyed The Favourite, both were great, and Weisz is always great. If a Marvel movie ever deserved an Oscar, Black Panther is it. I'd love to see it win, and who knows, Erotic Creature From The Black Lagoon won last year! This is the first year none of the movies nominated drove me crazy. I'm not big on GREEN BOOK, but it wasn't terrible.

Not sure you all watched it, but if you love the feeling of your bum-hole clenched tight for 90 minutes, check out best documentary nominee FREE SOLO. If you don't know what it's about, even better! :rock:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is about all I tune into the Oscars for, any more:

49D5A8E600000578-5461547-image-a-42_1520208841152.jpg
2c97faae2a845a6cfa691b255f31bbe0.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I saw the youtube video for Free Solo, that guy must be nuts or has a death wish. The documentary makers were praying they woudn't be filming his death fall. I wonder if they would still have released the film to cinemas if it ended tragically? It would need a title change, Free Fall? Death Plunge? and an R rating.

Btw James Tiberius Kirk attempted to climb El Capitan at the beginning of Star Trek V The Final Frontier.

Green Book
wins Best Picture, who saw that coming?! I'm not complaining I enjoyed the film, might even buy it. Spike Lee threw a strop and nearly walked out when the announcement was read by Julia Roberts.

The only two Best Picture nominees I haven't seen are Roma and A Star is Born. I'm also interested in seeing Can You Ever Forgive Me? I've read about it at Wikipedia, based on a true story, Melissa McCarthy plays an author who gets writers block, runs out of ideas and starts to forge letters from dead authors and playwrights to make money. She nearly gets away with it too.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
"Every time somebody is driving somebody, I lose!" Spike Lee in the interview room. Poor guy! My favourite moment was seeing Samuel L. Jackson loose his cool and get giddy reading Spike's name.

I'll complain about GREEN BOOK, the safest most Oscar-y picture wins. I was hoping for something different since SHAPE OF WATER came out of left field and won last year. Shouldn't be surprised I guess, they get it wrong more often the right. I would have preferred literally any of the other films to win. Other big WTF moment for me was BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY winning best editing. the whole picture looked like CGI background shit, and the editing was mostly frantic and terrible, drawing attention to itself. What do I know?

Watched it with my mom and she was furious that the climber in FREE STORY didn't get an Oscar, just the film makers. "He climbed the fucking thing!" :lol:

Show was typically dull, but at least moved at a crisp pace, eh? Could have used some jokes, but I couldn't be happier to see the "Order the celebs food/Parade normies in front of celebs/celebs shoot hotdogs at normies" never ending bits cut, hopefully never to return.

ROMA is worth checking out, it absolutely deserved the cinematography award. Every frame could be hung on the wall. A slow paced movie that I admittedly didn't love but kind have crept up on me. A STAR IS BORN is well worth a watch. Gaga and Cooper have great chemistry, as you could see as they made "f*ck-me" eyes at each other singing that song haha, so even though you know the story, it's a good time seeing them go through it together. I really liked CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME, shame Richard Grant (no relation) didn't get a best supporting Oscar for it. He plays a lovable cad with a surprising amount of grace. Melisa McCarthy is really good in it as well, though I prefer to see her as her giggly self. It's a crazy enough story that you should get a kick out of it regardless.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
We're in the midst of a heatwave here in England, yesterday was the hottest winters day 'ever' according to one report. What's happening to the weather? Could global warming be more than just a myth invented by the inscrutable Chinese? :eek:

Russ, yep the Oscars moved fast this year, no messing around like before just awards presenting interrupted by ads and the usual forgettable songs. The live show finished at 4.15am here in the UK. I remember back in the 1990s it would finish at 5.30am, I think sometimes 6am?

My latest video subject, German beauty Elke Sommer.

Elke Sommer sd.jpg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
We're in the midst of a heatwave here in England, yesterday was the hottest winters day 'ever' according to one report. What's happening to the weather? Could global warming be more than just a myth invented by the inscrutable Chinese? :eek:

Yesterday it got to -6C here, today it's -30c with the windchill. Coldest Feb we've ever had according to the records. Supposed to be cold most of next week too. The northern prairies want us all dead.

Spun some true crime, watched the Lorena mini-series, 4 parts on the Bobbitt case and the issue of spousal abuse. Not a fun watch (though I snickered throughout, since "penis" is repeatedly said. I know I know, it serious!) but an eye opening one that gets past the onslaught of jokes that the case is known for. Worth checking out if you like crime and a bad time of entertainment. I think this weekend HBO is unleashing a Michael Jackson doc on his abuse allegations, should be "good"?

Also slowly going through the Studio Ghibli catalogue. Loving them so far, but someone should have warned me that Pom Poko is about shape-shifting raccoons that use their nut-sacks as weapons. Not a single word in that last sentence is a joke or a lie. Bless.

ehPnvYN.gif

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Been pretty busy taking care of my sick foster kitten for the past several weeks. He's a 9-month old ginger and is getting over an upper respiratory infection. He's feeling much better and running around like mad in the evenings, just when I'm winding down.

I saw "Arctic" recently. It's a good survival story starring Mads Mikkelsen.

Was pretty pleased with the Oscar winners. As long as Rami won, I was happy! Good for "Green Book", too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.