Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Ginger Rogers.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I just woke up from the strangest dream. Someone was giving me a demonstration of a new cruising sloop that you steered by shuffling your feet. There were two slots in the deck and you stood there with your feet in them. By moving one or the other foot forward you steered the yacht just like downhill skiing. I am at a loss for what inspired this dream - perhaps the news reports of the rescue of the crew of the Clyde Challenger today.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
went from -18C here on Friday to 6C on Saturday and left us all wondering why we're not dead from temperature shifts. Nothing to worry about though...

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
NY state is late to the game. We've mostly cleared out from our terrible January here in Boise. Meanwhile in Northern California 200K people have been evacuated below this crumbling dam - the tallest in the US.
Oroville-dam-evacuation.png

636225752579077573-EPA-USA-CALIFORNIA-DAMAGED-OROVILLE-DAM.jpg

Last edited:

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I saw Lego Batman this weekend. That was pretty fun, and especially enjoyed Will Arnett's Bale-ish voicework. Liked the nods to the 1960's version. Don't think I've been to the theater in ages where almost everyone was with kids.

Plan to see John Wick: Chapter 2 this weekend. I'm bummed 50 Shades topped it at the box office!! I'll see that eventually at home since I read the trilogy.

Speaking of reading, I'm finally making time for my books again. Past couple of years, I've only read one or two books, but I'm already on Book No. 5 or 6 this year. Currently reading Jonathan Maberry's "Assassin's Code". This series featuring Joe Ledger is fantastic and could be a great movie franchise.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I have recently taken in both Manchester by the Sea and Lion.

I was underwhelmed by both. Honestly, I can't believe either one is nominated for Best Picture.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I haven't seen Manchester by the Sea yet, but I did see La La Land, good film, enjoyed it, loved the music... but best film of 2016? Not a chance, but than again my tastes are somewhat different to the Academy voters.

The downbeat 'not happy' ending, call me old fashioned but I wanted a feel good ending to this movie and I was let down.

I also saw Nocturnal Animals, a nasty movie and once was quite enough.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've seen a bunch of the Oscar picks! I'm half way through "Lion" (got interrupted last night, will finish it tonight), it's okay so far. Still need to watch "Arrival", "La La Land", and "Moonlight".

Out of the ones I have watched, I think "Hidden Figures" was probably the best though none of them are super great. I liked "Manchester" in that it felt brutally real but it didn't knock my socks off and I doubt I'll go back to it. The second half of "Hacksaw Ridge" is so amazingly good you forget how blah the first half and Andrew Garfield are. "Fences" has great performances but feels like the play it's based on as opposed to a movie. "Hell Or High Water" was a great crime pic but no best picture. "Hidden Figures" was great in feeling timely in it's politics as well as historical (I had no idea what it was about when I put it on, so that helped it being surprising), though the modern music (Phuck you Executive Producer Pharrel!) and some "cliche-Sassy" left me humdrum a bit.

none of what I've seen so far seem like modern classics. Hollywood has gotten really ho-hum for me and the best picture noms show it. :(

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I liked Hell or High Water a heckuva lot more than Lion or Manchester By the Sea.

But, then again, I punched my roundtrip ticket on the La La Land train. I'm all in.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I've seen a bunch of the Oscar picks! I'm half way through "Lion" (got interrupted last night, will finish it tonight), it's okay so far. Still need to watch "Arrival", "La La Land", and "Moonlight".

Out of the ones I have watched, I think "Hidden Figures" was probably the best though none of them are super great. I liked "Manchester" in that it felt brutally real but it didn't knock my socks off and I doubt I'll go back to it. The second half of "Hacksaw Ridge" is so amazingly good you forget how blah the first half and Andrew Garfield are. "Fences" has great performances but feels like the play it's based on as opposed to a movie. "Hell Or High Water" was a great crime pic but no best picture. "Hidden Figures" was great in feeling timely in it's politics as well as historical (I had no idea what it was about when I put it on, so that helped it being surprising), though the modern music (Phuck you Executive Producer Pharrel!) and some "cliche-Sassy" left me humdrum a bit.

none of what I've seen so far seem like modern classics. Hollywood has gotten really ho-hum for me and the best picture noms show it. :(

Is lion on blu in the U.K.??

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Lion isn't on Blu here in the UK. I don't think any of the major nominees are available on disc here yet. But they will be popping up in shops in the next few weeks.

I also saw Hacksaw Ridge. Excellent movie but not one of my 2016 favorites. Mel loves his gore. I remember Roger Ebert saying The Passion of the Christ was the most violent movie he had ever seen! Was this worse? I dunno Passion was practically unwatchable in some scenes and I love my gore.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
That talk of "gore" is keeping me away from "Hacksaw Ridge"!!

I saw "Manchester by the Sea" at the theater and liked it, but I find it a bit overrated. And it left me on the emotional cold side. Michelle Williams' nom reminds me of the 2-minute scene in "Network" for Beatrice Straight or maybe Anne Hathaway's song in "Les Miserables", although those 2 were much, much stronger (and I do NOT expect Michelle to win).

Steve, I saw "Nocturnal Animals" at the theater. It was an odd one but pretty interesting. I had not realized the ending could be taken another way until the ladies in front of me turned around after it ended to ask me something (never had that happen before!). Funny how people can totally take away something different.

This year is probably my least-watched year for the noms. Certain films just didn't interest me at all, like "Fences", "Lion", and "Hidden Figures"; others can wait until home viewing, like "Moonlight", "Elle", "Loving". 2016 was overall a very slow movie-going year for me. I am trying to be more selective, though.

I'm absolutely fine with "La La Land" winning Best Picture and am confident it will.

Oh, and what spoiled "La La Land" for you, Steve -- I liked it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh, and what spoiled "La La Land" for you, Steve -- I liked it.

Me, too. And...it has prompted an awful lot of talk about if it really was not happy. What some people see as unhappy, others see as happy. I find that idea thought provoking for a little musical that people want to dismiss as "light fare" that didn't live up to people's expectations of what makes a good musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.