What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
The bust of Churchill is back in the Oval room. Obama quickly removed it when he became President in 2009. It's been 2 days and the world hasn't come to an end. Seems all the screaming, crying, protests and mass suicides were for naught.

I'm SO tired of the whiners/protesters in our society (not just political ones). Whiny a** snowflakes! :angry:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've always wondered... how much power does the US President or the British PM really have? Surely any potentially dangerous decision could be easily vetoed by Congress or Parliament?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
And Canada is getting Kevin O'Leary. I give us a year before we're living in mud huts and fashioning furniture into weapons.

kevin-o-leary-jeopardy.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I was wondering about you Russell...how bad is the winter up in Deadmonton? It's pretty terrible down here in Boise.

Steve: the British PM has a lot more direct power than the US President. In the UK the PM and cabinet can declare war which fact is then presented to Parliament. In the US the Congress has the sole prerogative to declare war. Heck the PM and members of the cabinet may retain their seats in Parliament. By the US Constitution any member of the administration must not also be a member of Congress. Members of Congress must resign their seats prior to becoming members of the administration, e.g. Hillary Clinton and John Kerry resigning their seats in the Senate before becoming Secretaries of State.

I'm a little rusty on the facts but the PM in cabinet may even "fire" the Monarch. The PM told Edward VIII to abdicate or else. This dates back to 1688 when Parliament pushed out James II and brought in William and Mary. From that time the Crown is held at the sufferance of Parliament, not as a office granted by God.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was wondering about you Russell...how bad is the winter up in Deadmonton? It's pretty terrible down here in Boise.

aside from a 2 week period of crazy cold temps it's been really mild. Not much snow compared to what we used to get. I think I've only shoveled about 5-7 times, it used to be that much a week. After the -30C temps, it got up to 6C last week and leveled off at -8C today. Lots of moisture but no snow/rain, so we have hoar frost making everything pretty!

16114195_10154683026355412_6621710057416061206_n.jpg

16174726_10154686074530412_8488158814618857497_n.jpg

that one above in the dark I took this morning at 7:30am. :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've always wondered... how much power does the US President or the British PM really have? Surely any potentially dangerous decision could be easily vetoed by Congress or Parliament?

Sadly, political loyalties outweigh such considerations. Power in the Executive branch in the U.S. has expanded, particularly with regards to foreign policy over the past 50 years. It has been expansive through the majority of the twentieth century, but I believe that trend increased starting in the 1960s.

BTW, In the U.S. the President does not require Congressional authorization for the use of nuclear weaponry. Is that potentially dangerous enough for you?

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.